[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to be successful at networking events as an introvert

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: QF6Vik0.png (24KB, 250x141px) Image search: [Google]
QF6Vik0.png
24KB, 250x141px
Sup /adv/. I'm an accounting student in college and I'm trying to go to networking events and shit to get my name out there.

Problem is, I'm a shy introvert that doesn't like to be around people, especially strangers.

In situations where's there's one recruiter and a few students in a group chat, I feel constantly overshadowed. I'm forgettable.

One-on-one chats go okay, but I get that vibe that the person I'm talking to isn't interested in me at all...happens more frequently than it should.

I know practice makes perfect, but I just am so mentally drained before, during, and after every event. My social skills aren't the best and I feel wayyyy below average (looks-wise) compared to everyone else.

Wat do?
>>
so the way I get lots of people to be enthusiastic about conversing with me is to just ask them questions about themselves and be interested in what htey're saying.

everyone wants to talk about themselves and they get ecstatic when someone is actually willing to listen to their bullshit. you can build great connections this way and you barely have to do anything (just listen and keep asking them to expand on what they're saying). if they're not totally self absorbed they'll start to ask you some questions too, and you'll get to know each other.
>>
>>17973914
I always try to do that, but after the conversation ends, that's it. I have a hard time turning that conversation into a friendship or connection. If I approach them again at another event, many times they don't remember me.
>>
>>17973880

more practice but if you're really the shy introvert this will only help so much

c'mon you're an accountant, nobody expects accountants to be social butterflies

instead of doing the in-person thing, look into how to promote yourself on the internet

as for jobs, what are you planning after college ? to start your own business ? dumb dumb dumb

almost all accts work for larger firm a few years to learn the zillions of things they were not taught in college, then they start their own business
>>
File: tumblr_nkd2zdmyD21rskkm5o1_500.gif (420KB, 500x338px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nkd2zdmyD21rskkm5o1_500.gif
420KB, 500x338px
>>17974118
>c'mon you're an accountant, nobody expects accountants to be social butterflies

You would think that, but every company that I've spoken to is looking for Chad personality, which makes sense if you're gonna be talking to clients a lot. But even the "hidden-in-the-cubicle" positions want an outgoing, social personality

As for my plans for after college, I have no interest in starting my own business. Just want to be a slave wagecuck. Probably get my CPA.
>>
>>17974187
>but every company that I've spoken to is looking for Chad personality, which makes sense if you're gonna be talking to clients a lot

whew am i glad i went into computers :)
>>
File: tumblr_ntni0kALh61ueiaxzo1_1280.jpg (39KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ntni0kALh61ueiaxzo1_1280.jpg
39KB, 550x550px
>>17974197
>>
>>17973974
different anon here, while it's important to be a good listener and all, you don't want the conversation to end and them feel like they were talking to a wall or anything. you can definitely still let them dominate the conversation but it sounds like you're more having an issue with making a lasting connection. try working on having a few general stories that are relatively easy to fit into the flow of conversation, they can be embellished it doesn't really matter. They need some interesting info to connect a face to a story though.
>>
I have same problem, OP. I need to attend more coding meetups and events to try and land a junior position somewhere. Being an introvert just sucks all the life out of you, can't think straight or concentrate when there are too many people talking and being loud etc.

I'm afraid the only way is through. The more you do it, the more you at least get conditioned to it. You have to accept that you will never be a smooth operator or a people person. You just have to work on looking as presentable as possible and have good body language. Extroverts love the sound of their own voices so let them speak and nod and agree as much as possible. They will be too self-absorbed to notice any shyness about you. Thats one thing I have learned after years of being "the quiet one". As an introvert you are far more self-aware than extroverts are. So don't panic too much about coming across as an aspie, most likely no one notices as long as you smile and look approachable.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.