[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Absolute uneducated plebian here, I need help with neuroanatomy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1478877233683.jpg (64KB, 328x500px) Image search: [Google]
1478877233683.jpg
64KB, 328x500px
Absolute uneducated plebian here, I need help with neuroanatomy and neurotransmitters. My best friend is a unifag and he's under a ton of stress right now, he needs to get an A in this class but he tells me that he doesn't know enough about "neuroanatomy and neurotransmitters". I've only taken biology courses, but I really want to help him out, take away some of the insane stress he's got.

Can any of you recommend some books on the subject I could read, take notes from, then give to him? Hopefully it'll be like he's reading two books at once.

I'm not exactly sure what about them he needs to learn, but I know he's suppose to know this stuff for a class on drugs and how they affect the mind.
>>
I don't think it's likely you'll be able to learn enough to help him. Personally I think the best you could do would be to quiz him on stuff on the textbook. You could also test his own understanding by getting him to explain stuff to you
>>
>>17944062
There's nothing I could do to help him with his notes? I don't have any knowledge on the subject, but couldn't I read through and find important stuff to show him?
>>
File: images[1].jpg (904KB, 1700x2200px) Image search: [Google]
images[1].jpg
904KB, 1700x2200px
>>17944051
Memory: From Mind to Molecules
was one of the most informative texts I read when first studying neuroscience. Very very bio based.
>>
>>17944127
I'm sure it'd be impossible for you to know this, but will this book tell me what I want to know? This is either his second or third year studying the subject, so I don't think a beginner book is really his speed.
>>
>>17944208
>I'm sure it'd be impossible for you to know this
You are correct.

>I don't think a beginner book is really his speed.
It is not a beginner book. Unless you've taken a few semesters of chemistry and biology, you may be in over your head. See:>>17944062
If it's hard stuff, how are you, a layperson, going to understand it well enough to teach?
>>
>>17944224
I'm going to try my hardest, and do anything I can. I don't understand the material, but I know how to find important looking stuff and take a note about it. I'm sure I am in over my head, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to try and help.
>>
>>17944227
Be warned, the text I recommended is not a textbook. There are not clear chapter divisions, highlighted definitions, etc.

Do you know how to find important information when it's written in jargon you don't speak and has no visual identifiers?
>>
>>17944234
I do have the Internet, but my only option is to focus and try my best. I really need to help, and this is the only thing I can think to do. Thanks for the book recommendation.
>>
>>17944051
>Personally I think the best you could do would be to quiz him on stuff on the textbook.
This is the best advice.

Have him "teach" you things. Take a diagram and have him explain to you what each part does. Work with him to make flashcards (It's important that he writes them - it's good for his brain) of terms and their definitions, and then hold them up for him and have him tell you what's on the back. Go both ways, a word and ask for the definition, or the definition and ask for the word.

You are starting a really bad habit of trying to save people from their own problems and to do more for others than is necessary or appropriate. What if you put this much effort into your own life, anon? Don't become the doormat. You shouldn't over-promise for people. It's important to figure out your own limits, and don't work so hard for other people. He has to learn how to deal with his stressload. He has his own life and consequences to figure out. You can't save him from that process.
>>
>>17944243
You two are right, I guess he needs to learn on his own.
I'm not really sure what to do for the diagrams and definitions, I know absolutely nothing about neuroanatomy and neurotransmitters. Suppose I'll go look them up on Wikipedia or something.
>>
>>17944277
Did you read the part where I said he needs to do it?
You can sit with him and encourage him to take the diagrams from his textbook and then make flash cards about them, but HE should be the one doing the work. It won't help him learn if you're the one making the flash cards. Figuring out what words are important and then writing out a definition yourself are SUPER important to the learning process.
You can't do this for him.
>>
>>17944298
I seem to have forgotten to mention that we aren't irl friends, so it's a little difficult to sit there with him and write flashcards when he's 12 hours away. Yes, I read that part too.
>>
>>17944324
Then there isn't much you can do, man. Sorry. You gotta let him suffer. It's not your responsibility. You've got to practice how to let go.
>>
>>17944335
Shit.
Thanks anyways, Anon.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.