[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ask a teacher

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 1476651500042.gif (3MB, 550x311px) Image search: [Google]
1476651500042.gif
3MB, 550x311px
Hey folks, I've been a teacher for 8 years. For pretty much all of that time I've been teaching English second language in a mostly French-speaking city in Quebec. I've taught every grade level from K to adult, I've taught in private and public schools (both primary & secondary), and I've worked for private language schools. I'm currently working 2 contracts, one with adults with special needs, and another in prison, working with inmates who are trying to get their high school diplomas. Ask me stuff.

Pic unrelated
>>
have you fucked your students? has anyone?
>>
what kind of music are you into?
>>
OP here
>>17913146
I haven't no. But I once worked at a school where it became known (among the staff, anyway) that one teacher had been having a sexual relationship with an ex-student for several years. He left halfway through the year, once he because aware that the other staff members knew.

>>17913149
Jazz mostly, but a bunch of other stuff too. Lately I've been listening to a lot of Hiromi Uehara.
>>
>>17913163
Have you ever heard of Death Grips? They're really cool and their music is very accelerated for their time. I'd consider it less of music and more of a conceptual artpiece anchored by vision and sound. It may be abrasive at first but if you have the mind for it you just might have it blown. The best song is "I Seen Footage".
>>
>>17913226
I'll check that out, thank you.
>>
>>17913226
No problem
>>
>>17913117
>Ask me stuff.
What is the capital of Outer Mongolia?
>>
>>17913117
What's your opinion on Death Grips?
>>
>>17913117
Why would I want your bad opinions on anything?

You are less impressive than a walmart stocker who can lift heavy things.
>>
Do teachers shit talk students? Not like " oh he's a difficult student who needs the extra push" but more harsh
>>
>>17913117
What is the half-life of Strontium90?
>>
>>17914467
Shit man, did a teacher molest you or something?
>>
What is are opinions you've heard from students recently about Quebec Sovergnty? Its sort of a mystery to English Canada on its status. Has seccession sentiment subsided?
>>
>>17913117
How fast could I become a math teacher in WA? Already have BS in math.
>>
>>17913117

What's your favourite part about working both of your contracts? Is it fufilling to help people in the way that you do?
>>
What is your opinion on this?
>>17915329
>>
OP
>>17914935
Oh hell yes. Though not everywhere. In my experience, there's a very close correlation between the staff's job satisfaction and the amount of shit-talking that goes on.

>>17915106
Subsided yes, but disappeared absolutely not. I live (and teach) in a city that does not hold a lot of support for the movement, but I still come across it from time to time.

>>17915109
Not sure how it works in WA. In Quebec, you might be able to find a private school that will hire you, but most of them (and all of the public school boards) require you to have a degree in education, which usually takes 4 years (but you can do it 3 if you already have a degree). Your BS will get you better pay once you have your teaching degree, though.

>>17915440
It is fulfilling, yes. It's less FUN than working with serious, hardworking teenagers who take their education seriously and want to please their teachers, but it's more satisfying because I actually feel like I'm doing something important. Particularly in the prison, because I know that getting their high school degree will help these guys find legal work and decrease the chances of them coming back.
To be honest, though, the thing I best like about these contracts is that I have WAY less work to do outside of class time. No report cards, no parent-teacher interviews, no field trips, no December exams. That stuff just eats up your fucking time and it's part of the reason so many teachers burn out.
>>
OP
>>17915468
Mixing up b, p, q, and d is a common manifestation of dyslexia, so it's quite possible that that's exactly what's going on. I think the advice given there is sound. Certainly if he can be seen by a professional, that would be the most helpful thing for him, but even if that isn't possible, it's important that he understand what dyslexia is so that he doesn't grow up believing that he's stupid.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.