[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I reconcile the distaste I feel for most people my age

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: image2.jpg (220KB, 700x560px) Image search: [Google]
image2.jpg
220KB, 700x560px
I'm in high school, and I find most of the people very tedious; only interested in bitching about others and talking about Beyonce 'totally slaying...YAAAAS bitch" etc. etc. etc.

My entire school seems to be basic peopl talking about that kind of stuff, veganism and lattes, there's not even a goth group or anything (Not a goth, it's just unusual to not have any style variations in 2000 teenagers).

I don't find most of the people very interesting, and yet I also yearn for friends, but not friends where I have to fake an interest in Twenty One Pilots for, someone I can genuinely connect with on my own interests and preferred conversation topics.

How do I deal with this contradiction?
>>
what are you into
>>
>>17908171
Stop thinking you're a special snowflake that is better than the rest of them. Just because they have interests you aren't fond of doesn't place you in a higher position above these kids. If you want friends, you'll have to pretend. That's how it works most of the time when you can't find people with similar interests.This is coming from someone who used to have a mindset like yours back in highschool and spent the most of my time either eating in bathrooms/secluded places or having family members pick me up during lunch so I wouldn't be alone. All that time being a loner just because I didn't want to associate with anyone because I viewed them with such distaste.
>>
>>17908171
Have you considered that the same people might also share your interests and simply don't talk too open about them? Only way to make sure is befriending them.

Other than that, if you can't find something interesting about other people, usually it's because you're boring and shallow.
>>
>>17908171
when you get out of high school move to a big city or europe honestly you need to forget about these people they are plebs unfortunately in this day and age they influence everything , politics , music etc. my advice , read up on Nietzche , educate yourself (languages , practical skills ) and forget about these people because they are nothing and going nowhere
>>
>>17908211
also read jacques ellul. plenty of people out there like you the worlds a big place but you gotta look for them and you wont find them at high school
>>
>>17908201
I was raised amongst literature, so I love reading and have been working my way through the western canon since about age 13.

I play music (saxophone and flute), and like listening to it as well.

I do karate, mainly to keep fit.

I keep very up to date with politics, and go out of my way to look at many different news sources from all sides of politics so I don't get only one opinion.

I also read a lot of philosophy.

>>17908205
I don't think I'm special. Just different. I also have tried to befriend them on many, many occasions, and tried to talk about what I'm interested in.

>>17908208
I've tried. They aren't. They really aren't. All the people I know generally like celebrities, music I find kind of dull, bitching about each other, finding boyfriends or girlfriends, going shopping.

My old school had a few groups of people, but they were so clique-y and mean (not to me, but to others; I don't like meanness) I moved. Well, I also moved because the new school has much better subjects.

Maybe I am boring. I don't know.

>>17908211
>educate yourself (languages , practical skills )
>Nietzche
Ubermensch stuff? I don't know if that's really my thing. Also, I'm a girl, and a lot of his self improvement stuff is aimed at men.
>>
>>17908205
Also adding on to what I said in >>17908231
I don't think I'm better. In fact, it'd be great to be interested in that stuff.
>>
Pull your head out of your ass, no one likes an asshole who thinks they're better than everyone. You're going to be lonely forever if you don't get out of this mindset
>>
>>17908246
I don't think I'm BETTER. I really don't. I just genuinely do not find all that stuff interesting.
>>
>>17908231
no i meant more like nietzches cultural criticism like in daybreak and his early essays. sounds like you have some education, i pictured you as a lost boy like i was. high school is a zoo thats the reality of modern education. btw im a professional sax player ha
>>
>>17908231
do you live in USA?
>>
>>17908266
I've read a little. But not much. The problem with being a girl who's dissatisfied with modern society is that older societies weren't much better (for women). That's probably why so many women are attracted to SJW type stuff; the only way is forward, really.
>>
>>17908279
No, why?
>>
>>17908231
>All the people I know generally like celebrities, music I find kind of dull, bitching about each other, finding boyfriends or girlfriends, going shopping.
Sure but nobody is limited to just that, there is ALWAYS more to a person, just not always easy to get to the core, specially in high school where everybody tries to keep their more unorthodox interests hidden. Besides, it's not like someone has to share your interests fully. Also it gets a lot easier in college.

My girlfriend can fangirl about Johnny Depp, her new shoes or some shitty new Netflix series but also talk about Nagel, Calvino and Spanish Civil War. My buddy who's doing masters in philosophy and generally got amazing (and in depth) general knowledge about basically everything talks about League, football and /fit/ stuff all the time too. Back in school I was friends with a chick who seemed to be all about boyfriends and shopping but played saxophone daily and was a huge music history buff.

Still haven't found anyone with the same musical taste as me though, so I got couple niggas (and a HS teacher) to talk about hip hop and couple violinists who jerk off to Bach and Albinoni.

>a lot of his self improvement stuff is aimed at men
It is but you don't have to take the anti-female parts seriously and focus on the stuff that helps you.
>>
>>17908292
I have tried to talk about things.

For example to a group of acquaintances
"Hey, what have you guys been reading?" (they all say they love reading)
"John Green/If I stay/Allegiant etc. etc.What about you anon?"
"Dead Souls"

I try to explain it, they're just, not interested. Same with pretty much everything else.

NEETzche seems a bit too /pol/ for me tbqh.
>>
>>17908302
Well, in that case you could find out what they like about the shit and suggest something slightly more challenging in a similar vein. My sis loves John Green cancer too, then moved a tiny bit up to Fitzgerald and went to Hemingway and Melville.

Hey, that they read at all is something positive. Back in HS (and I was in a pretty prestigious school at that) the response I got was "Eww, you read."

>NEETzche seems a bit too /pol/ for me tbqh.
Not at all, even after his sister raped some of his stuff, he's pretty much the opposite of /pol/. Besides the prose alone is worth it (although I have no idea about the quality of translations)

By the way...
>working my way through the western canon since about age 13
>saxophone
>Gogol
A-are you a slav?
>>
>>17908282
>>17908280
the pop culture you mentioned was american so i assumed, so aus/nz/uk if i have to guess? but yeah chances are youl never see these people again after high school. re: old and modern society if you read ellul, nietzche youl see society as a whole is only going one way. if you think its bad now wait 10 years. you need to find your people outside of high school. when you leave you will probably never see them again. every big city will have a some good music scene. aim for that. met most of my friends at sydney conservatorium. went to high school in nz and havent seen anyone in years nor would want to happy new year
>>
>>17908315
Australian, actually.
>>
>>17908315
It's mostly 'romance'. I even suggested Austen or the Brontes, but they said the language was too hard.
>>
>>17908322
Maybe M. Mitchell? I can see why Brontes or even Austen would be bit too steep and beyond language, the cultural norms are bound to confuse the fuck out of them.

Although of course if they aren't willing to give something more challenging a try, there isn't much you can do.
>>
>>17908335
Also, they even hated The Great Gatsby because of an English Lit teacher who was a rabid feminist claiming that he was a misogynist pig.
>>
>>17908339
What the. I disliked it a lot too but out of the 100s of reasons, misogyny never came to mind. Where? How? The women were just as shallow and unlikable as everybody else.

If even the teachers are like that, your best bet is college. As for the current situation, look for people beyond your school then.
>>
>>17908315
>the prose alone is worth it
Don't know about the original but I find the French translation is just too messy. The librarian told me it's pretty clear for a german philosopher (not like Hegel) but come on, you need to use some punctuation.
>>
>>17908319
why are you not out sinking tins with the boys but seriously though im in australia too and what is happening to you is you are waking up to the fact that you live in a cultural backwater. life lesson - what sets people apart in life most of all is the level of culture they are satisfied with. something that one person(animal) is stimulated by or satisfied with another higher type will find boring/shallow. a distance has developed between you and your schoolmates and you are no longer stimulated by what satisfies them. now you are feeling isolated and alone. but they are not going to change you have to keep going up up up and that distance will only grow but you will get used to being on top and you will find friends up there !! :) good luck
>>
>>17908359
nietzsches prose is fire read a hollindale translation i agree with the other anon his prose and remarks on developing artistic style are gold and it has all the punctuation a girl could wish for
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.