[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I hate seeing things like pic related. I also hate when people

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

I hate seeing things like pic related. I also hate when people say "adulting."

It is like if you didn't have a good childhood, or a good adolescent experience, then you're fucked. Your first 21 years are the only time you're able to have fun.

But fuck that, I'm 26 and I'm having more fun now than I have in my entire life. I'm finally free to do what I please. I dress how I want, act how I want, do what I want. But it seems like somehow I'm inherently "misbehaving" or not acting my age.

What gives? Why are people like this?
>>
>>17907924
>in college is different than in your 20s

I mean christ if I was a 20yo dropout who did backbreaking manual labor every day I'd be in bed before 10 every night too.
>>
>>17907924
They're "Virtue signalling"

They're saying "Look at how responsible I am"
It's like wearing wearing expensive clothing to say how rich they are.

In reality, your life is what you make it
I know lots of 30+ year olds who still have fun
I know younger people who go to bed at 8:30
>>
>>17907924
Or perhaps the picture is about "having a good time as a kid doing whatever", "following social norms as collegefag/young adult" and back to "good times, doing whatever you want as 30 year old"
>>
>I also hate when people say "adulting."
It always rubbed me wrong. That and the whole "HOOMANS" baby talk people did with dogs. It just felt infantilizing.
>>
>>17907939

This makes a lot of sense. These things tend to come from the 'self-hating millennials' that I know.
>>
>>17907935
>he didn't graduate college before he turned 20
>>
>>17907924

Keep in mind that most people are taught (and turn, kind of lived) the idea that college is "the best time of your life," and that once you're out, it's time to buckle down and get the job you'll spend 40+ hours a week in until you're at the edge of death. And with that, time to find a wife and start hatching out babies. No time for fun, life, and freedom, because you're too "old" for that.

People who do what they're "supposed" to do look at "adulting" with resentment, because it represents the end of their autonomy and ability to have fun whenever they want.

I personally had a fucking breakdown at 24 and realized that if I needed to start acting like my parents from that point on, I may as well fucking kill myself, because all I was doing was going to work, coming home, and going back to bed to repeat it all. I made changes, and the second half of my 20s was badass.

Just don't let yourself get caught up by these assholes.
>>
>>17907924
Just do you man. As long as your behavior isn't causing anyone any harm or grief they shouldn't even be commenting on it.
>>
Why do you care what people think? I live for myself, not others
>>
>>17908111
2 year degrees don't even count.
>>
>>17907924
>Why are people like this?

A need to define themselves as being seperate from the group that they percieve themselves being lumped in with.

The last three panels could be three different people of the same age. Most people in college are in their 20s, and "pushing 30" still means you're in your 20s. To someone that's 29, there's a world of difference between who they were 8 years ago and who they are now. They want that difference to be recognized. But to a 62 year old department manager, 21 and 29 are virtually indistinguishable. 21 and 29 year olds are both young, ambitious, and generally have few other responsibilities competing for their time. They also both tend to think their skill level or value is higher than it is.

Whining that you're better than a 21 year old only proves that you aren't. People who are actually better than 21 year olds are too busy doing shit (both work and play) to spend time comparing themselves to 21 year olds.
>>
>>17908112
What did you do in the second half? I'm living your first half right now and I'm about ready to end it.
>>
>>17908533

Not who you asked (and here's hoping he replies, too, because I want to hear his answer), but for me, it was about doing things the way I wanted to do them.

I was breaking myself trying to get tons and tons and fucking tons of work done each week, and I hated it but I wanted to show that I was a "hard worker," and a "good employee." But finally I said fuck this. Fuck doing it the way I was taught to. I'm hating this. How can I do this in a way that's, "me?" So then I spent my time after work writing programs to do 90% of my work while I just supervised the programs. Then I came back and fucking killed it at work. I stopped coming in early and staying late like the other, "hard workers," and started usually coming in on time and ALWAYS leaving on time, like the boss did. He noticed and told me he liked seeing that I was able to manage my time and my workload, and that leaving on time and keeping your workload under control is what keeps you from burning out, and ultimately leads to success. He later saw my programs and said, "that's what every company needs. Not these programs, necessarily, though they're plainly useful. But every company need people who solve problems their own way, in a way they enjoy, and who don't kill themselves for their jobs. Keep doing what you're doing." Then I got a raise and a promotion, and I now spend a lot of my time writing little (and occasionally big) custom programs to automate various business tasks. For me, it's perfect, and I have it because I stopped waiting for someone to give me permission to solve problems in my own way, and just started doing it.
>>
>>17907924
It's a cycle. You're taugh from a young age that being an adult sucks so when you're an adult and something sucks you accept that it must be because you're an adult.

Then you tell your kids that and the cycle repeats.
>>
Could also be illustrating a person caring less and less about staying up late, partying, and drinking. Certain "events" on the calendar tend to lose their importance when you get older
>>
>>17908560
>stopped waiting for someone to give me permission to solve problems in my own way, and just started doing it.
Holy shit, I needed to hear that. Thanks anon.
>>
I think you're taking this way too seriously. It's not saying anything about what your personal best years are. What it's illustrating is the average experience of most people from this generation.

It's ridiculously accurate, at least for me, and when I saw it this morning it made me smile.

If you stop perceiving everything to do with popular culture as a personal dig at you, you'll probably be a lot happier. You might not have had that lifestyle but it isn't a personal attack, it's just an observation on a popular mindset.
>>
You see a lot of it on /adv/. I just find it mostly funny since I'm in my 30s. Seeing teenagers who think they know what life is like in your 30s better than someone who is actually in his 30s.

Hint: 30+ is not old. On the contrary, it's young. And for many people 30s are the best times of their lives. It certainly has been for me. I'm still young, but I can do many things I couldn't in my 20s since I now have a steady career and money and well-established social networks.
>>
I don't know man, I'm 26 and I'm already thinking of excuses to ditch a party was invited to.

I partied a lot in my early 20s, and it burnt me out. If you still party like that, then good for you man, but I certainly don't like to, anymore. I got a job.

Most people who party hard at my age need to blast a rail or two so they can even stay awake.
>>
>adulting
aka roleplaying
Wait until they reach 50 and regret not enjoying life when they could.
And even if you have a job, don't drink or go partying, you can still enjoy life without having to pretend you're some uptight "responsible" adult.
>>
>>17908895
enjoying life and having fun are not necessarily the same thing as partying.
IMHO partying is a waste of time. You could have much more fun doing whatever else that doesn't necessarily involve getting wasted because social pressure
>>
>>17907951
It's a reddit thing. They're trying to be cute
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.