[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

All of my Housemates are mentally ill and don't know it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: IMAG0897 (1).jpg (1MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0897 (1).jpg
1MB, 2688x1520px
SOme info about me: I grew up around my mom's bipolar disorder and witnesses how her mentally illness created more mental illness, in my dad, in my brother, and in me. I'm a conscientious person so I overcame my own and used what I knew to help out others (peer counselor in highschool, something similar in college, everyone I meet opens up to me).

Unfortunately, I have overwhelming evidence and reason to believe all four of the guys I live with have mental illnesses they don't realize they have, much like how I didn't realize I was depressed for a very long time.
I'm aware of what they've got going on now because they lashed out and ganged up on me for something that actually made no sense, objectively.

So what do I do about it?
If I act and communicate, I'm almost certain they won't believe me, and I may actually push them further from the truth, but if I don't act, I'm essentially allowing each of them to continue being self-destructive until they are each completely destroyed.

How the fuck does a single person hold an intervention for a group?

(I can provide tons of examples and evidence that I have, if necessary, but that would take a lot of time)
>>
You sound kinda schizo yourself so..
>>
What are the chances all 4 are mentally ill ,what makes you think this?
>>
Even if someone is mentally ill, it doesn't mean that they're going to "destroy" themselves. Mental illness only really becomes a problem when a person's life is greatly inhibited by it. So can you show how drastically fucked up these people's lives are, or perhaps there's a different reason you want to do this...maybe so you can feel like you're saving someone?
>>
you're not a psychologist and you can't diagnose others (or yourself for that matter)

and, as previously mentioned in this thread, it's far more likely that you're the crazy one rather than 4 other dudes happening to all be crazy
>>
Late reply; I was out for a while.
To give you some idea of how I think: I'm studying astrophysics, mathematics, and economics. I suffered from severe depression, mild PTSD, and ADHD, and overcame those through therapy, medication, and damn strong willpower. During that process I was tested for a lot of other mental illnesses:
>>17907353
not schizo. I am smart as fuck though.
>>17907362
>>17907411

In a random sample of four people, it's unlikely all of them are mentally ill. But this isn't a random sample: these are people who are friends and thus relate to one another, and our housing situation was organized by a friend of ours who is a social worker for mental health (he doesn't live with us for other reasons), and when he left, I organized the rest. Analogously, if I'd said something like "I think all my housemates are soccer players", and we all met because we were on the same soccer team, it wouldn't be surprising.

>>17907405
I'll write it out, but it is fairly long.
As I said: So what do I do about it?
If I act and communicate, I'm almost certain they won't believe me, and I may actually push them further from the truth, but if I don't act, I'm essentially allowing each of them to continue being self-destructive until they are each completely destroyed.

I think if I wanted to feel like I'm saving someone, I wouldn't have asked. In my own personal experiences, I know that I only got out of my situation because ultimately, I knew I had to do it myself. So if I went in trying to save someone, I'd only guarantee that person would not become self-sufficient. "feed a man a fish" and all that.
>>
>>17907411
This. Not that you'll seriously consider the possibility. You're too deep.
>>
>>17907405
People are 1, 1A (1A is 1's gf), 2, 3, 4

1 and 1A: Physically abused as a kid. Claims to feel no emotions, calls himself a sociopath. Conversely, constantly wanted to bring people together and make friends, his own words. For someone who feels no emotions, he spent a lot of his time telling me about his feelings, his parents, how much he [used] to care for his younger brother, etc.
Starts relationship with 1A; 1A has an "extreme fear of being alone, is terrified of missing people", her parents "berated her daily," and told her how "they had to give up their lives [in China] and live in a small, 1-bedroom apartment in the states so she could go to a good university". These are direct quotes. Worth noting is that after high school, she was rejected from every university to applied to. This was traumatic for her. 1 and 1A got together after 1A cheated on her bf of 3 years with 1, twice. Their relationship is poisonous: All of 1's friends despise the two of them (they all talk about it when the two of them aren't around). Of those friends, I was the only one willing to talk to 1 about how their behavior is annoying, to put it lightly, He told me he didn't care, baby-talked me, turned his back on me, and walked away while I was midsentence. I waited for my anger to seethe, then followed him and called him on his shit. They no longer annoy the fuck out of everyone when they're around, but 1A is still using 1 to cover her fear of being alone, has no life or friends outside of her relationship with 1, doesn't want him doing anything social with anyone else, even when she isn't around. Their relationship is unsustainable and toxic, will inevitably fall apart, and they're pushing away everyone who would bother to pick up the pieces once their bubble pops.
>>
>>17908046

2: Alcoholic dad, comes from a foreign and suppressed culture. Lonely guy, talks about how he has no friends and no relationships, is extremely cynical. Doesn't pursue his passions or hobbies, spends all his time in his room, thinks all of us think he's annoying and that we dislike him.

Open and shut this dude is lonely as fuck and depressed.

3: Parents are divorced. Says he doesn't care and it doesn't effect him. When he talks to me about how he views relationships, he constantly brings up his parents` divorce and details how what he thinks about relationships relates to how his parents handled their divorce. I have quite literally never asked him about his parents, he tells me this on his own. He also tells me how this girl he's friends with is his dream girl, how he needs someone to do for him what [a friend of mine who set me up with a girl once] did for him. Someone did just that, with this girl he claimed is his dream girl, and he shoved her away. He does not seem to be aware that he did all of those things.
He often invites me to do something with home for x reason, and when I get there and point out that x reason makes no sense, he admits he just didn't want to be alone.

4: My roommate. Really I only claim he's mentally ill because he has ADHD, so he's more of a technicality. Really smart guy who plays a lot of counter-strike. Lashes out when he thinks his intelligence is being undermined or challenged, lashes out when his proficiency at video games at challenged. I have a strong relationship with this guy though so I'm not worried, we can skip over 4.
>>
>>17907411
>>17908018
Again, want to clarify that I'm not self-diagnosed. I'm clinically tested, have and am currently seeing therapists and psychiatrists. I know what I'm about.

You're right, I first should have said "I think all of my housemates are mentally ill and don't know it".
>>
>>17907317
What was their reason for ganging up on you?
>>
>>17908087
I was tutoring a girl in physics at our apartment. I was working out how to explain a question, 1 and 4 weighed in and were wrong, I pointed it out "I'm pretty sure that's wrong intuitively, but I can't put my finger on it. Where's the whiteboard?". 4 told me he was still fucking using it and I should fuck off. 1 told me he agreed with 4's solution and method, as a former physics tutor himself, and I was being an asshole, 2 chimed in that I was always an asshole, 3 was absent at the time.

The thing is...4 was extremely wrong, kept saying is "just tell me how I'm wrong" and "I don't care" everytime I pointed at a part of his method that was definitely wrong, 1 got straight C's in physics and doesn't even qualify to be a physics major (I didn't point that out, but I was dismissive everytime he said "This is how I would grade it"), and earlier that week I'd stuck up for 2 when 1 and 3 bagged on him.
>>
what is the reason for the intervention? so you can act like a holier than thou parental figure? fuck off and mind your own business
>>
>>17908384
Like I said, they're lashing out at me and they're my friends (or were). Them lashing out at me so openly made me realize how many other times its happened for the same reasons, but on a smaller, less noticeable scale.

I already answered everything you asked.
>>17907986
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.