[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best way to find a job in Community College

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: fat.gif (1MB, 493x279px) Image search: [Google]
fat.gif
1MB, 493x279px
Long story short, I fucked up in college and banked everything on a job that I never got. I'm going back to a cc to learn programming but I don't want to fuck this up. I plan to go to their career center and look for internships.

Any other advice for getting a good start? Parents are no help, all they tell me is "Haha, I've never had to make a resume!" and they've worked the same job for 30 years
>>
>>17906899
Source?

And look online for resume advice, and I think your career center will have advice on building a resume.

If you are willing, I highly suggest learning a trade. Good job prospects, and good money, and trade school is way cheaper than college.
>>
File: Torino_Kazami.jpg (60KB, 256x711px) Image search: [Google]
Torino_Kazami.jpg
60KB, 256x711px
>>17906915
Valkyrie Drive, best mom Torino.

I don't want to commit to a trade just yet because I at least want to try to put my degree to use (math) and I figure programming is my best bet.
>>
>>17906935
Oh hey, fellow math major.

Have you considered grad school? If you find the right program they'll fund you in exchange for teaching. It's what I did, my advisor even hooked me up with a sweet job.

Also, what states/cities are you willing to live in?
>>
>>17906944
I'd like to live in Washington or anywhere with a similar climate.

I have absolutely no passion for msth and just did it because it was my easiest subject. I've had some top quality advice from my elders.

Anyways, my heart isn't in math or school. I wouldn't be going back if I saw any way around it that involved me using my degree.

Currently in SoCal with no car or money and I'm about 1 hour from Irvine or any city worth mentioning.
>>
>>17906965
We'll you can always study to be an actuary. Otherwise I don't really have any advice aside from apply everywhere.

Also keep in mind you most likely won't love whatever job you end up with. Doing what you love for a living is a meme. The majority of people don't live their job and that's normal, people who think they can do what they love live in a fantasy world.
>>
>>17906972
I tried the actuary thing and failed the first test, althought I hadn't taken any stats or probability up to that point and thought I could teach myself. Left a bad taste in my mouth either way, plus insurance is pretty bland and it'd be a while until I could work.

I understand careers aren't wonderful things, especially at the beginning. But being unemployed makes me depressed and I'm sure being a code monkey can't be worse than working at an Amazon Warehouse for $9/hr.
>>
>>17906899

Just do a trade. Guaranteed job. Electrician, IT engineer, plumber, or mechanic.

You will have a good paying job almost immediately. College is a meme you unfortunately bought into. Best advice I can give for most is trade school. You can leverage that into other things and one day open your own business.
>>
>>17907125
Well I figure programming is the closest thing to a trade that I have an interest in.

In a little under a year I can finish an associates in programming with courses in c++, java, and whatever web design I choose. I won't have to take electives or ge classes.

All the engineers I know are unemployed or in grad school so I'd rather not go down that path.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.