[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | | Home]

Any way of being good at math without being autistic ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: chas-d.jpg (12KB, 268x400px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
chas-d.jpg
12KB, 268x400px
I think I want to go to college for computer science but I'm horrible at math

How could I learn ? I have weird brain fog when I'm trying to learn things
>>
Math is just logic
One thing leads to another

Take a Deductive Logic class.
It'll help sharpen you reasoning
>>
maybe try reading wikipedia articles about newton and leibniz and everyone else that was doing important math in the early 1700s and the late 1600s. it can give you some intuition for why math is the way it is, and maybe help make you care enough about math to power through the brain fog

if you like computer science you might end up being ok at stuff like linear algebra. it has at least as many computery applications as high school pre calc and calc do, and it's a lot less weird (i think).
>>
just don't be afraid of it.
Approach it with an open mind, that is to say, don't let what you know get in the way of what you are learning.
And try to understand as well as possible each subject before moving on to the next one.
Treat the system as closed, self-sustaining. Don't try to associate your own semantics to it further than as a mere analogy.
Realize that it is essentially two things: symbol manipulation and computation. As for computation, some of the stuff they teach you are simple deterministic algorithms which require just following instructions. As for symbol manipulation, it's somewhat related to the computation part, you just have some transformations from a symbolic arrangement to another such arrangement.
My point is, if you're factoring polynomials, don't try to understand it in terms of apples and oranges.

I don't mean by this post that math is a lifeless subject, but not realizing that high school and first semester algebra up to calc is essentially computing results through symbol manipulation, is what makes people stumble trying to "understand" what they're doing outside of the subject itself.
>>
>>17904877
practice.
>>
You don't have to be great at math to be a great programmer. If you are truly horrible get a tutor and study old tests with other students.
>>
>>17905197
And they don't make you take the upper level math classes unless you choose to
>>
File: mathematics.png (859KB, 1296x797px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
mathematics.png
859KB, 1296x797px
>>17904877
are u telling me some people have to be autistic to be good at math lol
>>
>>17905228
that fucking picture lmao

>>17905197
yes you do
>>
>>17905254
That's simply not true. How many programmers have solved a differential equation in the past year?
>>
>>17905259
Calculating the complexity of an algorithm often involves solving a differential equation, and even if it doesn't directly involve one, it almost always requires you to understand how differential equations work to solve it
>>
>>17905259
A code monkey isn't a programmer.
>>
>>17904877
Math major here, "good at math" is basically a meme.

That is to say, though there are some people who are extraordinarily gifted when it comes to math, most people aren't like Gauss or some shit.

If you want to get good at basketball, you practice. If you want to get good at drawing, you practice. Same thing with math.

I swear when I tell people what I'm studying, at least half of them give me the "oh, I was never good at math, you must be so smart!" No, I'm a fucking retard. I can't even remember the parking spot when my friends and I go grocery shopping. But I practiced a lot because I thought some of the history behind modern math was cool and ended up thinking math itself is pretty cool. But like an athlete, I have to practice as often as possible or I get out of shape and can't do the things I used to be able to do in my sleep.

Just torrent some textbooks and work through the examples and do the practice problems dude.
>>17904886
>Math is just logic
Okay I know you're trying to help and I know I'm nitpicking and I kinda used to think the same thing but after actually taking an advanced logic course it became clear that the two disciplines are very, very different.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]
Please support this website by donating Bitcoins to 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
If a post contains copyrighted or illegal content, please click on that post's [Report] button and fill out a post removal request
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows an archive of their content. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.