[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am leaving the business I am in now and will be taking everything

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1471448767026001_1471449843115.jpg (65KB, 600x785px) Image search: [Google]
1471448767026001_1471449843115.jpg
65KB, 600x785px
I am leaving the business I am in now and will be taking everything I have learned over the years and will be applying it to start my own company. Does anyone have any experience or maybe some information on how far I can take this without any action from the old business owner?

My next step is to consult an attorney.
>>
>>17574207
Bump
>>
>>17574207
Do you have a no-compete clause in your contract or exit package? Is anything you're taking exclusive intellectual property owned by the company?

Violating either of those could get you into serious legal trouble. Anything else, like using the general knowledge you learned through experience there, or even stealing customers, is considered bad form and might well hurt your professional reputation, but it wouldn't be actionable.
>>
>>17574387

This x 100

From the business side of things; you're going to earn very little money over the next few months so I hope you've got ample savings to float you. I'd definately recommend meeting a tax accountant to discuss how to get your company (and by default) yourself running as tax efficiently as possible. Have you got a client base?

It depends entirely on what industry and work we're talking about here; what field are you in?
>>
>>17574387
I never signed a contract except standard tax forms. I have taken his company from local to selling parts all over the us, I built a spreadsheet to calculate costs and give us a total amount of parts and displays profit etc. Can I use this or would it be best to retype the sheet and delete the current ones I have at home pc?
>>
>>17574400
We sell automotive parts and I have learned to do auto glass while here. I already have a business license tax exempt forms and invoices, I don't want any shortcuts or anything to come back at me I am trying my best to cover my ass.

>No savings
>put last of money in to buying tools
>took loan out to help buy large tool & pay for wife schooling
>customer database: word of mouth & Craigslist, friends etc.
>already have eBay and Amazon store fronts otw

At the same time I am still working for the company i help build up as well.
>>
>>17574403
The spreadsheet and the entire system of doing things can be considered "work done for hire" and therefore their IP.

No one can copyright or patent general concepts, so you can do much the same sort of thing with similar forms as long as they are sufficiently different. (Chances are you've thought of improvements since the original, both in the spreadsheet and in the way of doing things, so the new stuff will be really new.)
>>
>>17574479
So changing the spreadsheet around should be just about it right? That is the only thing we use for pricing also, there are shipping terms and handling policies just mis the words up there as well I really appreciate the help anon.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.