[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for a martial art...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

...that embed self-defense and sport.
Any ideas?
>>
Capoeira is very applicable for self defense IRL
>>
>>17569193
Yeah, my dick is too.
>>
>>17569070
Don't go for any single art. Go to a dojo that does mixed martial arts and I dont necissarily mean ones that train you for the UFC.
I think its best when you have an art that has traditional roots but is grounded in logical combat based fighting touching on striking, kicking, grappling, and felling.

Shaolin-kenpo mix - good
wing chun - good on its own but better if mixed with a grappling style
Jui- jitsu - good
krav maga - good
Muay Thai - good
Jeet kun do - good
McGregor's school of touch-butt - good
Shotokon karate - useless on its own
Mcdojo karate - plain useless aside from weight loss
Judo - good to know but leaves your striking lacking
sambo - same as judo
wrestlng - needs striking
Akido - go back to your parents basement
Ninjitsu - go back to your parents basement and finish naruto already
HEMA - useless aside from fun
capoeira - might as well walk past the dojo and right into the dance studio cuz apperantly thats where you want to be. But seriously its too much flare and not enough practical use.
>>
>>17569070
>>17569399
forgot to mention:
tae kwon do - everything is shit and done for points there. They are known for their kicks and even their kicks are weak. They have 50 grandmasters and that should already be a red flag.
>>
>>17569070
The good thing about HEMA is that you will know how to quickly unscrew your pommel if you want to end them rightly.
>>
>>17569070
There are so many modern martial arts that stem from the ancient ones mentioned here >>17569399
, but what it comes down to is what training the dojo or school teaches. Do they train to stick to tradition and etiquette? Do they focus on fitness to keep fit? Do they focus on realistic contact sparring?

A lot of the flaws with various martial arts is how long it takes to be trained to be effective. Any martial art (even capoeira) can be highly effective if one has been training a lifetime in the art.

If you want something that you can be effective fast, I recommend MMA, Muay Thai or Brazilian Jui-Jitsu. But mostly MMA, which always values scientific results more so than traditional technique.
>>
>>17569399

This guy knows what's up. Personally I'd recommend either krav maga or muay thai, they're mostly about simple, effective moves that can be applied irl. Plus, you can find them in almost any town because of popularity.
>>
>>17569070
Learn Brazilian Jiu Jitsu because it teaches you a lot of grappling, close combat, and takedowns, plus chokes and restraints.

Learn traditional Jiu Jitsu because it teaches you a lot of non grappling hold escapes and there's more emphasis on takedowns from standing positions in various perspectives.

And also learn a bit of kick boxing or tae kwon do. Maybe some Aikido as well.
>>
Start with weapons first if you're looking for self defense.
Martial arts like eskrima or systema is a great foundation.
If your looking for more sport orientated stuff I'd say boxing, muay thai, bjj, or judo is a start.
You can combine both aspects to develop your own style.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.