[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

High IQ and shitty school

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 1473786279708.jpg (46KB, 548x690px) Image search: [Google]
1473786279708.jpg
46KB, 548x690px
Five years ago i got tested and the test showed that I supossedly have and IQ of 150.
The thing is that I don't see myself as someone smart, yet I really feel isolated from everyone and really really unmotivated, I feel like if i'm not made for this society in wich dumb people succed and smart ones fail everything. Anyone feels the same? If so, what did you do in order to not feel so shitty about yourself?
>>
i kind of do. i tested into the 'gifted' program early in school and i really did not want to be there. i sabotaged it and performed poorly on purpose to get out of it.

i hate the pressure and attention that comes with sticking out in the crowd so i do my best to blend in, but i still never quite fit in with people.

i dont know what my iq is and even though i know i am smart im definitely not close to genius level or anything, and honestly i feel like a fucking retard most of the time.
>>
>>17567449

The problem with being smart is that many genuinely smart people grow up lazy (or unmotivated, as you call it), because things like school are easy for them. They are not challenged, they don't really have to try, and therefore they never learn to try or work towards goals. Out growing this is difficult and it's mostly down to determination to out grow a lifetime of bad habits. If you manage that, you'll feel less shitty, because you've actually accomplished something.
>>
You're not as smart as you think. If you have nothing to show for it, intelligence is meaningless. Do something. Make accomplishments.
>>
File: 1453931348604.jpg (64KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
1453931348604.jpg
64KB, 600x399px
>>17567449
>Five years ago i got tested and the test showed that I supossedly have and IQ of 150.
yeah there's a 99.96% chance your examiner gave you a test aimed at a much younger age group, maybe he did it on purpose. I am aware that there's this experiment where the psychologists/educators give young people placebo fake tests and tell them they are special super gifted genius, and then observe the effect it has later in their life.
Interestingly, some of them turned out to be successful adults and did not fall too far behind their genuinely gifted peers.
>>
All what matters is results, hard work gets results.
Look at all the old Soviet engineers who are now working behind cash registers because they immigrated to country and they don't know the language there.
Your worth is in how much you can make, intelligence might be a factor in it but not necessarily
>>
I spent 3 years of my life hating myself playing LoL all day knowing I'm smarter than all of my peers but unable to get myself to do anything or do well in school. Got diagnosed with adhd, the medication combined with having something to blame my laziness on other than myself motivated me a lot. Plowed through 4 semesters worth of math over the summer and am doing fantastic back in school. Feeling great about myself now. Smarts don't matter if you don't use them. Show everyone you are better than them and you will feel better than them. Your IQ of 150 is a gift meant to be flaunted, actually flaunted. Not "im super smart guys, this test says so" flaunted but "look at what ive done because im so smart" flaunted.
>>
>>17567502
> school are easy for them. They are not challenged, they don't really have to try

Honestly I've never seen this happened to anyone. School too easy ? well prove that with outstanding results and a better school will accept them, or just read the Wikipedia article on all the easy topics introduced in class, trace the articles, the branch of the subject, you'd be surprised. There is no such thing as challenge ceiling in this day and age, with the existence of the internet, nLab, AoPS, USAMO, etc. hypothetically, say someone is as smart as Qiaochu- born to do abstract algebra- Yuan, breezing through grade-school effortlessly, concepts naturally make sense in their mind,etc. well, at 7th grade, for some run of the mill open ended school assignment they'd be tasked with a project where they would actually have to do something with their "ability", they will first read about open problems, for the first time they are unable to solve something regardless of how hard they try, then they realize they lack knowledge, then come the reading on literature, articles, classical books, i.e. they basically enter a path that countless generations have entered before, there they will first encounter ideas so difficult that it takes much longer than a few hours to absorb them, (which might be a shock), they will go to new places, meet new talented people with similar disposition (these people exist), they will face their first failure, they will for the first time feel overwhelmed by the gigantic structure their mind has to deal with...
that or at some point in this journey they realize the ceiling of their ability isn't that high (not the ceiling of their ego though) and they are unable to cope with their current school and fall behind and talk themselves into believing in lack of motivation and similar excuses.
Even in ancient time, even in isolation with nothing to motivate them, smart people always manage to stand out by doing something different.
>>
>>17567449
Heehee right OP. You're secretly super smart.
>>
>>17567659
also one of the characteristics of talented people is that they know how to ask interesting questions, that many before them overlooked. I'd even go as far as saying without this ability you can't be called smart.
>>
>>17567659

Not true. I work in early education and we have a shit ton of kids who fly under radar. They don't do jackshit for school, but get relatively high grades regardless, so their parents, nor their teachers get worried. It's fairly common. The problem is that in today's school environment every kid has to pass or the school won't get funding, so the standard is lowered so that everyone can pass the necessary tests. This does means that the smart kids don't have to do anything to keep up with the slowest kids in the class.

But yeah, obviously you're right and there are those super smart who their parents and teachers pressure who will excel in the end. But for smart kids whose parents aren't that invested in they school, this means nothing because among multiple kids no one will spot them. There is a huge amount of under utilized brain power in school classes right now, because the standards have fallen so slow.
>>
IQs don't really measure intelligence, they measure.. well, IQs.
You get better at taking the tests and will get higher scores if you practice. It's also why you see those results like those russian farmers who all got an IQ score of like 50, even though they were perfectly intellectually normal, they just hadn't practiced that kind of thinking.
My point is, your IQ score being high doesn't say all that much about your intelligence really.
>>
>>17567502
Former gifted school student, can confirm. I'm now an 18 year old NEET
>>
>>17567686
Early education, as in grade 1-5 ? well I doubt the talent of a 5th grader could be wasted, unless you are telling me if he doesn't receive special treatment in elementary school his talent vanishes (!). Again, never seen such case. Most people's early education are roughly the same anyway, it only matters when they have to take a standardized test. Let the kids play, before grade 11 it doesn't even matter that much, all knowledge required for this test is just intuitive and elementary for a genuinely smart kid, and frankly it's insignificant in comparison to what comes next. Thus this is a problem with the term "gifted" before the age of 18, well, if they aren't at least winning Olympiads or solving nontrivial real life problems I would definitely not use this term, that would cause a lot of confusion between slightly above average kids in a bad environment like you and many people are referring to and genuinely gifted kids that actually require a different treatment.

A kid who scores in the 99th percentile of SAT at 10, for example, will not fly under any radar. Standardized tests exist for this purpose, so that you cannot claim because your school are so bad you don't have any reliable measure of your capability, well here is the national test, here is a more difficult national test, here is a test for gifted people, etc. the point is that there is always some very easily accessible measure of a student's capability that are also requirements for higher education, i.e. everyone will be ranked in the same metric. If we are talking about really young kids and you feel your class have under-utilized brain power, join AoPS forum like most talented kids do, there's no age limit, you will see kids in the same age group or even younger here.

Also I didn't say anything about influence of parents, that's ridiculous, unless they are abusive in some way, if they just don't care then the kid's natural ability is the only thing that matters.
>>
>>17567928
What I think they mean is this:
Say you have a kid, he seems to score a bit above his peers. Hell get a 95/100 when the others get 85/100. But the thing is he learns at a much higher rate than those other kids. He got that 95 by barely listening in class and not studying at home since he finds the material boring or easy, while his peers got their 85s by listening in class studying an hour a day at home.

This kid may fly under the radar when compared to his peers as he just seems above average, but if you were to put him in an environment where he feels challenged and engaged he would be capable of far more than his peers.

This though begs the question of whether or not we should push every kid to their intellectual limit.
>>
>>17567980
>Hell get a 95/100 when the others get 85/100. But the thing is he learns at a much higher rate than those other kids. He got that 95 by barely listening in class and not studying at home since he finds the material boring or easy, while his peers got their 85s by listening in class studying an hour a day at home. This kid may fly under the radar when compared to his peers as he just seems above average

If this happens then the test is clearly not a standardized test, and it's definitely not a competition test which are the only two types I mentioned. It's a school's test, I don't believe those tests matter. And to go beyond high school kids have to take standardized test, i.e. they will be ranked in percentile in a massive population, where the 10 points difference (say, between 85 and 95) might be 2 standard deviations, that's like going from 50% to 95%, which reflects their ability.

Also, materials for standardized tests are extremely basic that every students are supposed to be familiar with, so how much time you spend doing homework exercises doesn't matter as much as problem solving ability i.e. you solve a well defined, well understood problem, so are your peers, can you do it faster than them, more accurate than them, can you do it at all ? some very elementary problems are actually quite tricky and they do appear in these tests and you have like 2 mins to solve them.
Basically, it is easy to come up with a test of this type that can measure accurately ability of these students, from the worst to the best.
>>
>>17568111
>only 2 tests I mentioned
Sorry misinterpreted that. As a kid we had general standardized tests, and subject specific standardized tests, we knew these were coming and could study for them. Sort of like baby's first ACT for just science/math/reading.

But why do you think school tests don't matter? A student just going with the flow sitting in geometry like everybody else, but could be in calc 2+ had he been learning material more his speed/challenging the whole time seems like a waste of potential no? Taking college level math classes in 9th grade would put him at a massive advantage.

But no one would know because on paper he just looks like a good student.

I would even argue the opposite, why do standardized tests matter? I scored in the 96 or 98th percentile on most of my standards, I remember my parents being all excited about it. But nothing came of it, I wasn't moved to harder classes or anything.
>>
>>17567449
>Anyone feels the same?
me

>If so, what did you do in order to not feel so shitty about yourself?
I remind myself that it's not so simple as dumb people succeeding, a lot of them bumblefuck their way through their lives and make bad decisions because they're dumb.

one of the shitty things about being smart is that so much stuff is just not challenging, and it's really hard to stay motivated when you're constantly getting good grades and praise and shit for things you didn't even have to try at. it just loses its meaning and eventually I think it erodes your ability to feel good about any of your accomplishments.

so I try to find things that challenge me. a lot of the things I'm good at, I don't really enjoy, and a lot of the things I enjoy, I'm pretty mediocre at. doesn't really help my life much because everybody always wants you to do the shit you're good at, and they assume you love doing it if you're so good at it. but at least when I have a success in something I suck at, I know I actually worked for it.

idk man, I wish I had more advice. I think my ability to feel a sense of accomplishment is just fucking broken.
>>
File: 1471169494339.png (186KB, 439x412px) Image search: [Google]
1471169494339.png
186KB, 439x412px
>>17567449
>150 IQ
Gee son, you should get contacted with smart people instead
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.