[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is 27 too old to go to university?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

File: 1467414735169.png (77KB, 491x541px) Image search: [Google]
1467414735169.png
77KB, 491x541px
Is 27 too old to go to university?
>>
>>17457567
nope.
>>
>>17457567
No. I'm 24 and I'm pretty sure I won't graduate until next year.
We have free college so it is common to see plenty of old people in college. Even people in their 70's and 80's getting new degrees.
>>
>>17457567
Of course not. You won't be able to have the stereotypical college experience that you missed out on as a teenager, but you still can get an education.
>>
"The college experience" is shit anyway. You go to college to study and do what you love for a living. Fun can wait, or you will be stuck with bad grades and unable to graduate or without a good job later on.
>>
>>17457567
No. I'm studying nursing and there's a pharmacist who's 47 in my classes going back to school. Cool guy, too.
>>
>>17457567
There is a sixty year old medical doctor with whom I shared several philosophy classes. He takes one course per semester atm, he told me he is waiting to retire to go back to college full time.
I find him inspiring.
>>
>>17457567

Not at all!
>>
I'm thirty and this thread just motivated the fuck out of me
>>
Go do it. The only reason you're asking is because you're comparing yourself to the young 20-somethings.

Winners focus on winning. Losers focus on winners.
>>
>>17457567
Hell no man, I'm 26 and I wish I'd waited until I had some life experience to go to college instead of going right after high school. I didn't get much out of it because I didn't know what the fuck I was doing.

If anything, you're at a perfect age for higher education.
>>
>>17457567
Had 34 y/o start the same semester as I did. Really chill dude, knew a lot of people in the university from his past. Always helpful, did almost every shit we did (yet still acted like a real grown up), great to have around. Glad he was there.
>>
I have a friend who just finished, and she's 30. I have another two friends finishing up in their late 30s
>>
>>17457567
Professor writing here:

No. In the US at least 25% and sometimes much more of the undergraduates are in their late 20s or older, and I suspect the figures are even higher in some other countries.

University is not just for 18 year olds any more. A lot of people don't go until later for a lot of reasons. In my own experience they are almost always among the best students, being more focused and motivated. And a lot of universities have special social programs or offices to help older students not feel out of place.

Go for it.
>>
>>17457567
Im 27 I already dont have a job and I dont finish university either. Just do it man
>>
I have always told myself that I will study atleast till 30 years old!
>>
it's never too late to improve your life!

good luck out there
>>
People are 30 at mine uni. It depends on how determined you are!
>>
>>17457567
No, it's not too old.
>>
>>17457567
People go to university at twice that age.
>>
Maybe in the 1800 and 1900's it was old but people nowadays over 24 just starting college isn't really uncommon.
>>
One of the guys in my program (Econ/ biz minor) was an 35 year old veteran who decided it was time for him to "get a grown up job." Always a pleasure to have in groups because he wouldnt try to ditch work and shared his experiences without being overbearing.
>>
Okay, so I get that there's no reason to feel bad about going to college despite being older: But how do you do it, exactly? I feel like an idiot for asking, but I didn't pay much attention to what they tried to tell us about the application process back at the end of highschool. Do you need paperwork from your old school even if its been like 10 years since you graduated?

Not OP, btw.
>>
>>17458622
Look at the websites of the colleges you want to apply to. They usually have special procedures for mature students.
>>
File: truckin.jpg (131KB, 1000x948px) Image search: [Google]
truckin.jpg
131KB, 1000x948px
The median age for college students in the US is 29.
>>
You're never too old to get an education and better your life.
It is however, too old to expect to get the "college experience". The kids will be way too young for you to try to make friends with. Go to classes, skip the social events.
And do everyone a favor and don't try to live on campus. God my poor friend had to live with a 30 year old woman in her tiny ass college dorm room and it was weird as hell. Bitch even had custody of her kid on alternating weekends that stayed in the fucking dorm with them. I don't think this woman told the university about this fact, but I digress. Don't deprive a young kid the opportunity to make friends through a roommate the same age as them.
>>
>>17458716
You do know that some people live in the dorms because their homes are too far away to commute and not just for fun, right?
>>
>>17458760
You do know there are other options for nearby housing that aren't dorms, right?
idgaf, if you're over 25 you should be getting a goddamn apartment. Dorms should only be for the kids who are still trying to figure out how to be an adult for the first time in their lives.
>>
>>17458780
> still trying to figure out how to be an adult for the first time in their lives
>implying that doesn't apply to 30+ year old NEETs
>>
>>17458850
I like how you specifically cut out the KIDS part.
NEETs are fuckups who made their own bed though. They rejected their opportunity for help, they don't deserve the second chance if it means fucking up the chances of a young kid who was smart enough to ask for it when it was appropriate.
Think about it, for every 30+ year old fuckup in the dorm thinking they can have the college experience that late in life (protip you can't), there's a 18-23 year old wanting the college experience they could actually have and enjoy who couldn't get into that school because the oldfag took their place.

Take some responsibility for once in your sorry life man.
>>
>>17458867
>thinking they can have the college experience that late in life

Oh no, I don't support that part. A 30+ something doesn't really have any business going to a school to try to relive their 20s. I don't even read into the whole "college experience" meme anyway. Some people are just there to learn. But you can't deny a student the same cheap housing opportunities when they're trying to get an education and put their lives together because you think their hypothetical roommate is somehow entitled to a new bff.
>>
>>17458907
>cheap
>student housing
pick one lmfao. Aparments are ALWAYS a billion times cheaper than dorms. There's a reason colleges cuck you into your freshman year (for traditional students) and force you to live there. Because it makes them hella money to sell you a cubicle you have to share with another student (or 2) for up to 1300 a month, while what is considered an expensive apartment in that area is usually half that. Shit you not, I bought a 50k house in my college town for cheaper than what 5 years in the dorms would have cost, and now I actually make money off it by renting the spare rooms.

No person over 25 has any business in a dorm room. There's no financial incentive at all, the only reason you live on campus is to be involved in the college debauchery.
If you honestly think that any 18 year old should have to live with a stranger thats as old as their parent, when they're supposed to be having the good ole college fun, bringing back people to bang, having a dorm party, making friends, then you're the one who's fucked up m8. You're depriving the kids of their college experience for no goddamn reason, because it sure as hell ain't financial.
>>
>>17457567

No. I am 23 and I have only my german highschool diploma because I changed my engineer studies to law because I hate engineer nerds.

So I will be probably 30 when I graduate and have a Dr. titel since regular law studies take 6,5 years to finish.

No problem with it.

AND BTW: with my engineers studies we had a 70 year old japanese guy who did not speak german fluently but went to every lesson and asked stupid questions like wtf.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.