[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"You have a wall up."

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: wall.jpg (12KB, 325x325px) Image search: [Google]
wall.jpg
12KB, 325x325px
When people say you have a 'wall' up, what the does this mean?

The term is used all of the time on the 'mentally unwell,' but I have literally no idea what to do with this feedback. Should I go up to a random stranger and hug them? Should I call my mother and tell her I love her tremendously, when in fact I lean more towards indifference?

Does anyone have an actual description of this wall besides Pink Floyd, perhaps a literal and specific one? Does any real advice for this problem exist, or is it just a hollow statement people make?
>>
The wall is something you put up keep people away from the real you. Everything that people see is outside the wall, and meanwhile the real you is inside, unseen, and feeling isolated.
>>
>>17454465
OP I used to say this, or at least infer to it or imply it to people. The wall is just a proverbial mask, a way to hide the "real you".
from my POV it just means you're not opening up. It may mean you have a habit of closing up on people and regardless of reason or motive, it usually hurts people around you if they're trying to help.
I assume you have some sort of issue going on in your life for someone to say that to you. You don't HAVE to open up to them, but it's likely just them saying they wanna reach out to you.
>>
It means you are a sissy and a boipussy.
t. good poster
>>
>>17454471
That's an interesting point.

I feel like surviving on your own entails some amount of self-denial. I can't attack, run away from, or chase whoever I want. Those urges need to be stuffed for my own good, don't they? I can't just run wild anymore. It's very dangerous, distracting, and exhausting.

>>17454472
Therapists and my family have suggested there is a wall up. I find this ironic, because they are the only people I would consider fully opening up to, yet they are the ones who say I have a wall up.

>>17454478
fuck my boyhole
>>
>>17454503
You say consider fully opening up to, have you actually opened up to them before?
>>
>>17454508
Well the elders in my family (I don't talk to my father's side) are a.) an emotionally suppressed man's man, and b.) a lifelong Catholic. Opening up to them would probably result in some backlash. When they say I have a wall up I say to myself, "It takes one to know one."

My mother is a little more open. My mother and I talk openly about things, but she said herself that it is her style to, "Pretend everything is cheery and fine, because that's how I was raised." My uncle is never comfortable fully expressing himself in any situation either, at least not one that I've seen.

When it comes to the therapists, I have gotten close to three of them. It usually goes really well, until I run out of the money for their time!
>>
>>17454465
The Wall, in Pink Floyd terms, is a protective measure of self isolation to protect yourself from the heartless and machine minded people of the outside world.

If someone is saying you have a wall up it means you don't show emotion or you're putting on a front to be someone different from the person they know you to be. This is not the same as 'The Wall' Pink Floyd talked about. If you take the MBTI you're probably a strong T(hinking) type. Thinkers tend to suppress their emotions much better than F(eelers) and other feeling types will look at you as odd because you're unphased by most things in life.
>>
>>17454552
Yeah I wouldn't open up to your family. Depends on how old you are actually. You should be able to have a healthy relationship with your family with no fear of backlash for this kinda shit, but if you live with them, it's best not to create unneeded tension.

Really it's all about your comfort zone. If you don't wanna open up then that's fine, and I wouldn't worry too much about what other people think.

It's good that you're opening up to therapists though. At least they're technically professionals!
>>
>>17454561
I don't subscribe to MBTI. I don't remember hearing that Jung was consulted on the making of the MBTI, and he was a spiritualist as much as a scientist, a guessing man very much like Freud. MBTI seems like guesses on the work of a guessing man to satisfy a surge of interest in typology. It's use today reflects that of horror, I mean horoscopes.

We've been in places in our life where we are more so thinkers, and places where we are more so feelers.

Your *own* observations are correct, though. I am in more of an unphased phase. Sometimes that is the only way to get things done. Sometimes people who let you in will be like, "Relax, we are all friends here!" and it's like, "Excuse me, but we've all heard that one."

Since I mentioned therapists in this thread, I'll say that I am working on finding more trustworthy people. I open up more quickly to people who are kind and honest, traits that seem to be rare around here.
>>
>>17454465
It can have multi meanings, but it basically implies you're hiding who you are or something specifically.

Like the clinically depressed person who puts effort in the day to day to seem "normal". Or alternatively the person who avoids personal questions and doesn't let people get close. If you've ever heard the cliche movie line "why won't you let me in?" they're usually referencing how the person has a "wall up" as an emotional barrier or something.
>>
>>17454600
The odd things is that I do say how I feel and let people know things about me, and they say there is a wall up anyway.

>>17454575
Hopefully things will start looking up.
>>
File: 1470579551382.jpg (38KB, 457x394px) Image search: [Google]
1470579551382.jpg
38KB, 457x394px
>>17454465
What's been said pretty much sums it up, that you're not really showing your true self. Some people can sniff this out to them and, unintentionally, it can sometimes give off a negative vibe. Like "guess he's not interested in being friends". In your case though it sounds like you're just a bit detached.

I actually suffer from the same problem, I've had a wall up for years. I wonder though of any anons would have advice how to get over this wall?
>>
File: 1435179783980.gif (3MB, 263x191px) Image search: [Google]
1435179783980.gif
3MB, 263x191px
Pink Floyd a very solid (no pun intended) approach to the idea of The Wall. But Evangelion and End of Evangelion tackles it in a way that makes NGE the greatest work of art ever made IMO.

The Wall is always because of fear (Anti-terror Field in EVA) and dealing with this fear/hedgehog's dilemma ends in the act of "tearing down the wall" like in The Trial where Pink is exposed involuntarily. The involuntary nature of Pink's exposure I believe is also a sort of a metaphor for seeking help from other's rather than relying primarily on yourself, unless you believe it is all in Pink's head or Shinji's head for that matter.

The solipsistic interpretations lead to nothing beneficial unless you have an inclination towards isolation that you are content with, something that is often paradoxically due to fear and denial of fear.
>>
>>17454552
>>17454575

DO NOT "OPEN UP" TO FAMILY MEMBERS OR ANYONE THAT DOES NOT KNOW ON A PROFESSIONAL LEVEL ABOUT NEUROSCIENCE OR PSYCHOLOGY.

>Therapists
the right psychologists and psychiatrists can help alot
>>
>>17454700
I've been getting help, so I don't know why people in person are accusing me of having a wall up.

Sorry to be repetitive, guys.

I have heard that the symbolism in Evangelion is pretty deep.

>>17454710
I was going to tell me mom that I smoke cigarettes and masturbate wearing fishnets in the mirror
>>
>>17454741
I guess that's opening up, but do that with a psychotherapist.
>>
>>17454700
Nigga, what? The AT field is your sense of self, your ego, hence why you get tang'd if it's broken. Everyone has one in Evangelion, but the Eva Units and Angels have exceptionally powerful ones that can be manifested.

And, "AT" is "Absolute Terror" but there were "Anti-AT" fields you may be thinking about.
>>
>>17454781
>absolute terror
yeah sorry, I messed that up. The ego has a lot to do with fear
>>
>>17454788
ya it do

>>17454778
alright. maybe being a little more expressive is what people are actually looking for. it's not so much about being closed off, but presenting as more "gray" than I actually am.
>>
>>17454788
Unfortunately, that's just not how AT Fields are used in Evangelion. It's very specific to a person's sense of individuality. In a way, having the AT Field destroyed is closer to achieving a state of enlightenment.

Almost every character being closed of from each other, on the other hand, is reflective of Anno's emotional state at the time. It's not terribly integral to the "science" of the setting.
>>
>>17454841
it's still a huge metaphor man, not sure what your trying to say exactly
>>
>>17454465
It means you're Donald Trump.

Bastard.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.