[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | | Home]

Are Dream Jobs Virtually impossible to attain?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: image.png (281KB, 418x564px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.png
281KB, 418x564px
I'm a working new grad, in a less than glamorous industry and a less than glamorous job. Every so often I'll wonder what'd it be like to be a creative director, a nature photographer, an archaeologist, a geologist, something "exciting".

Is knowing the right people the only way to these jobs? Thousands of people want cool jobs and work towards them and will never ever achieve their goals. The select few will "know the right person at the right time" or whatever the punchline is for a cliche success stort.

Should i give up on dreaming and just accept my cubicle prison sentence?
>>
i landed a version of my dream job, and honestly most of it came down to luck. more than 90% if i had to pull a number out of my ass. i had the correct skills and all that shit, but it all came down to knowing the right people, being at the right place at the right time... basically the stars aligned for me.

thats over now and i think that was my shot, definitely not gonna give up but yes it is a very tough thing to achieve.
>>
It sounds very cliche, but don't give up.
Just poke around and find the right people to get you that job.
It'll be hard but it'll become more of a game the better you get at it.
Source: experience
>>
The more you advance in a career, the less time you spend doing the things that first attracted you to the job. Eventually, it becomes just a job. Hopefully one you enjoy, but all else being equal, as you grow and age, you develop yourself so that your job becomes less interesting and meaningful than your home life, family, etc.
>>
I'm in the same boat OP. As a recent grad, I don't have a lot of experience in my chosen field. I've had lots of jobs and life experience over the years, but not a great resume for the niche field that I majored in. I actually am just about to start a job that pays ok that's pretty related. The hours suck and the work isn't as sexy as I'd like, but my plan is to stay there a couple years if possible, then once I have the experience either move up within the company or get a new job elsewhere. I've accepted that I won't even have the ability to acquire my "dream job" for another 5-10 years or so, but I'll still be relatively young at that point. That's my perspective.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]
Please support this website by donating Bitcoins to 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
If a post contains copyrighted or illegal content, please click on that post's [Report] button and fill out a post removal request
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows an archive of their content. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.