[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm 24 and I don't want to be a software developer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 125060024.jpg (29KB, 620x357px) Image search: [Google]
125060024.jpg
29KB, 620x357px
I'm 24 and I don't want to be a software developer because it's fucking boring. what's an interesting high risk high reward job that I could look into? potentially a manual trade
>>
Fishing for Alaskan King crabs or some type of crazy fishing is high risk and you make a lot.

Was getting a job as a software dev hard? The fuck did they ask you to do?
>>
>>17444959
nah, it was super easy to get hired, but I do have a degree. free lancers with no degrees is more difficult. during my first day they told me specifically what I'd be doing. I had about 3 weeks to learn android development and getting used to the codebase. during that time they gave me very minor bug fixes to do (X label is off centered, Y colors are not consistent across pages). after that the difficulty scaled up a bit, I had to implement ads, user login, deep links. but I just found it insufferable to work a desk job 8 hours a day. I have no idea why the hell I got that degree in the first place.
>>
>>17444989
im finishing a degree soon is why im asking and its what i want to do.

Im reviewing this cracking the coding interview book, going over data structures. I have no idea how intense this interview will be. I want to do like software dev, web dev, or app dev. I only know c++ and javascript enough to put it on a resume. Taking an internet app w/java in the fall hopefully i learn java well enough.

Any input for me?

For you:
They have oil fields in texas and they need people to work them. I forget what, but its manual labor/hard as hell but pays well. They also have oil wells at sea. Someone was telling me about it once.
>>
>>17445018
the technical parts of the interviews were very easy. they asked me about which patterns I know and to explain them. we chatted for 5-10 minutes about singletons and MVC. they asked me about personal projects, what my contributions in a team, skills etc. don't be afraid to tell them if you don't know something. tell them that if that case arose during work you'd seek your coworker's help and look on the internet. it's ok, they don't expect you to know anything. most people they interview cannot do a simple fizzbuzz on the spot.
>>
>>17445053
can't do fizzbuzz on the spot, this makes me feel much better. Im like preparing for: white board implement a link listed or code an algorithm to search through a linked list or remove a node from one.

Sorry can't help you more with your question.
>>
>>17444950
Well OP, I'm 25 and don't want to be a programmer anymore too. I chose to move and to start med school in a few weeks.

If you're into more 'risky' stuff, how about: industrial climber, (underwater) welder or working on offshore oilrigs (heard they're hard to get into)
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.