[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you bring yourself to complete a task you're nervous

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: MI0001369795.jpg (24KB, 400x398px) Image search: [Google]
MI0001369795.jpg
24KB, 400x398px
How do you bring yourself to complete a task you're nervous about? What makes you "take the plunge?"

Mine's about a girl that I kinda awkwardly stopped talking to as we got closer because of multiple reasons, but don't let it limit you to social matters.

I'm more interested in your advice on not procrastinating, taking dangerous plunges, not playing it safe etc.

I've heard just about every schpiel out there, the only one that ever kinda helped me was "you miss every shot you don't take."

Pic unrelated it's just The Cure.
>>
I think it helps to understand what stress really is. It's our built-in fight or flight system. Nothing more, nothing less.

I deal with some anxiety and stress too, but at the end of the day, if I don't have a lion or tiger staring me down and ready to go for my jugular, I ignore the stress. It helps to focus on positive outcomes, and not the negative shit.

I hate standing up in labs giving instruction to students on campus (and I have been doing it since my freshmen year) but it has always been so rewarding. Literally every holiday I have other students getting me cards, gifts, and always have people asking to take me to lunch or just bringing me coffee to show their appreciation. A simple thanks has always sufficed with me, but so much more has come from it. And to think, every single semester I start getting anxiety about it, but it's not like I was training lions.
>>
everybody has different strategies I guess

one simple way is to just approach things that make you nervous in an entirely logical way
because most of these kinds of fears are inherently illogical and any fear that is based in sound logic is probably one you should be heeding anyway

so lets say you're afraid to tell a girl how you really feel
well just think this girl might seem like the whole world to you right now but the reality is she's merely one human being out of 7 billion
so what are the chances that this one girl is so special as to be 1 in 7 billion?
the worst that could happen is rejection
and then what are the chances that every girl in the world would reject you?
even if you spent your whole life doing nothing but repeating this same process with every girl in the world you would never get through them all and you would never suffer a worse fate than rejection
so you might as well get started now right?
>>
>>17440457
Your example was pretty spot on, just being from a small town it seems scarier because I've never really met a girl like her and i have kinda low self esteem, so after our first date she gave me 2 or 3 "busy" excuses and I instantly figured she thought I was a loser.

I was too scared to ask her how she really felt and now it's eating me up, but you bring up a good point. I'll be moving from here soon so it's not like I'll be around her forever, I'd at least like to get to know her more.

It's been like 2 months, sending a text out of the blue is kinda what's scaring me now.
>>
I'm just listening to Just Like Heaven, OP, and seeing them live in November. Cannot wait.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.