[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok guys. I'll be on a plane soon. I am absolutely terrified

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

File: plane.jpg (16KB, 648x365px) Image search: [Google]
plane.jpg
16KB, 648x365px
Ok guys.
I'll be on a plane soon. I am absolutely terrified of planes. The simple tought of being inside a plane fills me with panic and terror and each second i spend in there is absolute hell, specially if i am flying over oceans\seas.

Are there any ways to cope with plane phobia?
I'm tired of being terrorized by it. I can't travel around like i always wanted because of this fear (since planes are the cheapest form of transportation this days, at least, inside europe)
>>
Get a window seat, focus on the beauty of being in the sky and try to get some rest
>>
>>17392687
>Get a window seat, focus on the beauty of being in the sky and try to get some rest

If only it was that simple
>>
Grow a pair
>>
I've been on a plane more times than my own age, from twin engine props to 747s. Flights are planned as to not interfere with other flights. Planes are inspected before takeoff. There's less than 0.1% that anything will go wrong. If you're really worried, book with an expensive airliner.
>>
>>17392624
I do not share your phobia, so i can only provide some rational comments: because of my previous jib i had to fly between Amsterdam and Rio de Janeiro every 35th day for 2 years, and nothing worse than boredom happened. You'll be fine. Get some earplus or noise-cancelling headset, and you'll got the noise dealt with.
>>
>>17392624

>You could ask for your doctor a sleeping pill
>Try to bear it, or even overpass your fear
>Realize that bike are the deadliest locomotion and chill you
>Eat something full of magnesium, this will make you more active but less tense
>Busy yourself with something worth it, chat with the person beside you, joke with that nice blonde about how you're a pussy she will find it cute or beta

Whatever. Odd are in your favor, you are bound to die every second and plane aren't more dangerous, you just realize that you are close to death.
> but i-if the plane crashes
Yeah and if I'm getting cancer at this moment I wouldn't even give a shit, still living my life until I die.

Carpe diem on that one, boi. Have a nice trip.
>>
>>17392773
My bad, cars are the deadliest. Depends on how you look at it really.

http://www.shblog.org/2012/04/least-and-most-dangerous-forms-of.html

Anyway my point is : Carpe diem the fuck up son
>>
>>17392773
Ok
However, if i stay on earth it's 100% guaranteed that i won't die in the middle of the fucking ocean, suffocating and drowning to the terrible abyss.
Void like areas are my biggest fears.
>>
>>17392740
>There's less than 0.1% that anything will go wrong.

Till now this is the most comforting tought
>>
>>
>>17392788
That will not happen. The risk is so small I can assure you that without even lying.

>>17392794
Nice try, but he said he was afraid of drowning.
>>
Assuming you're 21+, buy a drink. It may be expensive, but it's worth it if you really think you need it.
>>
>>17392788
Odds are you will either die on impact, or live, then float around on a life raft or with one of their many life jackets they always tell you about in the safety instructions.

In what scenario would you drown?
>>
>>17392845
Stuck on a raft with starving people. If you stay, you run the risk of becoming food. Better swim for it.
>>
I used to have the same problem, OP. With planes, the only way to do it is to bite your lip and give it hell. Exposure therapy is the name of the game, my friend. I've done it so many times that I don't feel any anxiety on a plane now, whereas before it was full-blown panic.

If it helps, look up statistics and stories of others overcoming their fears. Just keep in mind you will be fine.
>>
>>17392910
Ok.
I feel better when listening to people with the same experiences as me
>>
>>17392867
Lol if a plane goes down the crew will be radioing in help as it falls. You will have some ship or helicopter to save you for sure.
>>
>>17392624
Avionics engineer with 22 years experience here. I'm quite willing to sit here until the sun comes up (which is in about 4 hours) explaining to you all the reasons why aircraft are one of the safest places you'll ever be, should you happen to be interested. To get things started though:

>>17392740
>There's less than 0.1% that anything will go wrong.
This guy's several orders of magnitude wrong. The chances of a commercial flight being involved in an accident are around 1 in 11,000,000. Further to that, the survival rate for accidents in passenger aircraft are a little over 97%. To put that in perspective, you're about 2,500 times more likley to die in a car accidnet on the way to the airport than you are to die on the plane.
>>
File: 1457321792757.jpg (66KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1457321792757.jpg
66KB, 400x400px
>>17393004
I'm here and i would gladly hear your explanations.
Proceed please
>>
File: 1462712540900.jpg (95KB, 653x490px) Image search: [Google]
1462712540900.jpg
95KB, 653x490px
>>17393004
Enlighten us
>>
>>17393004
>This guy's several orders of magnitude wrong
>>less than 0.1%
Yeah I was just making some number up. Its very highly unlikely, probably the least likely to happen on a spectrum of things you'll ever be scared of.
Chew some gum and listen to some music or something, how long is the flight, OP?
>>
You have about a one in twelve million chance of being involved in a plane accident and about a one in fifty million shot of being fatally injured from one. If you're that sure of thinking you'll die, buy a lottery ticket first
>>
>>17392624
talk to your doctor about some kind of mild sedative for flying.
>>
>>17393048
1 hour and 15

Yes, i know i'm pathetic
>>
bumping for the engineer
>>
Im a skydiver who flies planes recreationally.

I've sat with someone like you on a plane once, absolutely terrified of flying. But explaining what you're about to get into helps a lot.

Ill tell you now, flying isn't natural. you'll probably part of a teeny tiny percentage of people in the history of human civilization to experience what its like to even remotely fly.

Ill tell you now OP, its because you're either old or you grew up around people who weren't aviators.
I have never seen a kid who wasn't excited in going to fly. On school holidays I see kids lined up along the airport fence with their parents watching jumbo jets take off and land.

The point I'm trying to make is that your fear is relative.
If you go talk to someone who is a passionate aviator and ask them why they do it, explain to them why your fears are the way they are. Their enthusiasm may well rub off on you and your fear will subside once you see flying from different perspective.

Your fear of the sea can also be approached in the same manner, many people who fear the sea and water tend to not be confident swimmers for example.
>>
>>17393237
I should probably prrofread before posting but im on my phone so eh. The message gets across hopefully
>>
>>17393237
I grew up in valleys and mountains and i love the sea from the beach point.
For example, i'm not afraid of sailing and so on... The fear of crashing in the middle of the ocean is mostly based in the fact that i will be struggling int the middle of nothingness waiting for a painful death in the horrid dark abyss of the ocean
>>
>>17393272
Every commercial pilot has been trained in how to ditch an aircraft.

They would have had time to call for help long before the decision to ditch was made.

Not to mention airlines that have to cross oceans have to be equipped with life rafts and life jackets.

But sometimes just having a plan helps, in such an unlikely scenario, should it occur how would you react? what would you do?
>>
>>17393316
Try to float as long as i could till help came.
Also, you talk about ditching and such... What if the motor goes KABOOM? Or the wing starts getting on fire like in most situations (i've heard about this story countless times)
>>
>>17392624
are you afraid of heights? or the takeoff and landing?

or it some intense paranoia of something going wrong in the air
>>
>>17393346
Well I want you to assess every situation and ask yourself on how probable are each of the scenarios?

The engine goes kaboom, there's another one, or if it catches fire it has a built in extinguisher.
>>
>>17393422
>or it some intense paranoia of something going wrong in the air

This one
>>
>>17392624

Cars are more dangerous than planes
Most urban major cities are more dangerous than planes
Dogs are more dangerous than planes

The only reason you're scared of getting in a plane and not a car (despite the massively higher chance of death in a car) is because of the memes jack

Society and media have drilled into you this fear of planes, from the news, from movies etc.

You hear about a plane going down like what, once, maybe twice a year? But you never hear about the hundreds upon thousands of people killed in road accidents all year round because it doesnt make good news

TL;DR If you're too scared to board a plane but feel fine to get into a car then you're being illogical mother fucker
>>
File: 1465324360773.png (9KB, 429x431px) Image search: [Google]
1465324360773.png
9KB, 429x431px
Okay, I am on the same boat/plane as you except I have ridden a plane more than once.

I like to pretend that I am in control of the plane when we lift off, land, and when there's some turbulence.

The thought of me being in control helps put me at ease. Perhaps if you try the same thing it'll help a little? You can use your imagination, and if it's a plane where there is a screen that shows the front perspective of the plane, then you can look at that to help get over your fears (I like to pretend it's a plane simulator myself).

However, you're in Europe right? Man, when I went to the Netherlands, the wind was so strong, and since we were in a little plane we could feel that shit. Holy fuck, was that scary. And to top it off, there were a bunch of little annoying Dutch faggots that were loud as shit and would make fun of me because I shook my leg when there was strong turbulence. It didn't get to me, but boy were they annoying.

Don't let little Dutch cock suckers get the best of you and you should be fine in your travels.

Good luck.
>>
>>17392624
Come to terms and realize the worst that could happen. Realize that the plane could explode, and you along with it. Visualize and realize the fear, and then make it your bitch.
>>
To be honest, right now my only concern is to not board on a plane with terrorists since things have been wild
>>
>>17392624
Same problem here OP

Tell your doctor and they can prescribe you Ativan. Works wonders.
>>
think about it this way

it could be the last thing you ever worry about

just chill if you get through it, great you're where you wanted to be, and if you don't, oh well. nothing to worry about now
>>
As part of the air cadets I got to fly a plane when I was 14. It is so incredibly retardedly simple. It's nothing like a 747, but when you understand the actual operation of the flying mechanism is pretty easy, it is less scary.
>>
>>17392624
Youre terrified of an airplane yet youll ride in a car where your head might spill on the ground in a horrible accident? Youre an idiot.
>>
Well, the big problem now is the terrorism.
Terrorists are in a literal spree and every plane is a potential threat
>>
https://www.flightradar24.com/

Sit and watch this for a few hours and you'll calm down.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.