[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | | Home]

Whose fault was it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

>Just came back from Spain
>During two-week study abroad session I stayed with a host family
>Was hoping to become friends with them as I want Spanish-speaking friends to practice my Spanish with
>Host family turns out to be bed and breakfast like
>Unlike my previous host family, they didn't show us around town, never eat their meals with us, host a large number of students at the same time, etc
>Even using their washing machine costs €6 if it wasn't included in their contract as water was scarce in their area (i.e. Malaga in Andalucia)
>Told my parents that I was disappointed that they were like that in Spain (now returned to homeland)
>Today I heard my dad talking with my relative on the phone saying how my host family was more like a bed-and-breakfast
>Asked my dad what is the difference between a host family who does not show you around and a bed and breakfast
>Dad gets upset and says that my standards are too high
>He said that my friends probably think that I am showing off how much I travel when I told him one of them reacted saying "Do you expect them to treat you like a daughter?"
>I explained that I really want to befriend some Spanish-speakers as they are uncommon in my area and I really want someone to speak to in Spanish
>Mom said they are not obliged to show us around and they may be uninterested in my culture even though a guy from my culture has been living with them for two years
>Parents say that not befriending any locals is not a big deal and they don't understand why I want a Spanish-speaking friend so much
Whose fault was it? For example, was it my fault for having really high standards or was my host family really being cold towards us. Was it my fault for mentioning that I am disappointed with my host family a couple of times to my friends and family or was it my dad's fault for overreacting?
>>
Cállate idiota.
>>
Dime que esto es baiteo de verdad por favor
>>
Which part in Màlaga, OP? We don't have to pay extra for the laundry, were you scammed by gypsies or what?
>>
>>17387625
Your expectations were too high. Set the bar low, and be pleasantly surprised when your expectations are exceeded.

If you expect only the bare minimum of hospitality that is required, everything else becomes a bonus
>>
>>17387625
There was a breakdown in communication somewhere between the hosts and the study abroad program, the program and your school, or your school and you.

Some very reputable programs operate on the b&b principle, contracting with locals to provide housing and nothing more. Others try to set up second-family arrangements in which you become part of the family for a while.

You got one when you were looking for the other. You might want to report your disappointment to your school. They may have thought, like you, that you'd get a more friendly welcome. Or they may have known what you'd get and didn't make that clear enough to you.
>>
>>17387661
Away from the city center. The family is a white elderly couple. One of their kids didn't move out and lives with them.
>>17387664
Yeah I guess so. Shouldn't have hoped for that much. I really want to befriend some Spanish speakers while traveling around Spain though as there aren't that many Spanish speakers in my area. Guess I missed that chance.
>>17387675
I don't know. This Spanish language and culture program was organized by my uni and they paid for my accommodation. All my friends lived with host families who hosted other kids at the same time but the other families seemed kinder.
>>
>>17387625
You just had bad luck. What a pitty. That doesn't sound typical here at all.
If thate people where participating at those kind of programs they should have been more friendly. Sorry to know that.
>>
>>17387728
Are you from Andalucia?
Maybe it has something to do with how I am Asian and they have no interest in Asian culture? I know about the "los chinos" stereotypes in Spanish speaking countries.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]
Please support this website by donating Bitcoins to 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
If a post contains copyrighted or illegal content, please click on that post's [Report] button and fill out a post removal request
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows an archive of their content. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.