[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to tell whether your parents are giving biased career

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: bias.jpg (31KB, 1500x750px) Image search: [Google]
bias.jpg
31KB, 1500x750px
How to tell whether your parents are giving biased career advice or not?
>>
>>17384120
I think it's not possible to tell. But even if that's the case, I don't know if it is that much of a big deal. Just reason m8.
>>
>>17384120
They are. They're your parents. They have an agenda. Go along with it or build a career upon defying your family. Good luck with that.
>>
>>17384127
>Just reason m8
How thought? Hard to know without actually working in a certain career.
>>
>>17384120
if your parents are above 40 their advice is well intentioned but shit for the most part

some nuggets from my parents

>just get a degree, it will set you apart. doesn't matter what it is

that was true 30 years ago

>do something you love

okay no one loves being an accountant or being a garbage man but they pay pretty well so this one has always been shit advice

>your student loan debt won't matter, you'll more than make up for it by having a degree

yeah that shit was true when it cost less than 10k to COMPLETE college, now it's like 10k for your freshman year at a state school

their advice is outdated, but they believe it because hey it worked for us
>>
>>17384232
>their advice is outdated, but they believe it because hey it worked for us
/thread
>>
>>17384120
They're not likely to be biased. The ARE likely to be misinformed, or working on the basis of things that were true when they were your age.
On the other hand, you can't rely blindly on the advice of your peers either, because they also are likely to be working on limited information.

Figure out what YOU want, and then do the research to amass the strongest objective evidence to support your choice.
>>
>>17384120
Case in point:(My dad told me this) In the 1980s the word somehow went out to parents that their kids had to be business majors to get jobs after college, and by the early 1990s the world was up to its neck in unemployable business majors.

The same is happening today with STEM. If your parents force you to be a STEM major, it is almost certain that by the time you graduate there will be more STEM grads than STEM jobs.
>>
>>17384120
>How to tell whether your parents are giving biased career advice or not?
What kind of bias are you worried about? It's not possible to completely avoid bias of all kinds -that's a limitation of human perspective- but some kinds are not particularly worrisome, while others are. Can you tell us about the advice they are giving you?

Your parents almost certainly mean well, in any event (some don't, but that usually goes hand-in-hand with other forms of abuse, and you haven't mentioned any).
>>
>>17384614
>that usually goes hand-in-hand with other forms of abuse, and you haven't mentioned any
Well my parents are Asian and they expect me to give them money when I find a job
>>
>>17384673
I don't know if I'd call that abusive, per se, but it certainly could play into bias. What sorts of advice are they giving you?
>>
>>17384705
Find the highest paying and most stable job that I am capable of doing
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.