[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I sublease a room in a house, and a former tenant is asking for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: a1nspa6.jpg (2MB, 1250x1250px) Image search: [Google]
a1nspa6.jpg
2MB, 1250x1250px
I sublease a room in a house, and a former tenant is asking for her deposit back. I don't want to give it, because she completely neglected to take care of anything. She never cleaned and left the kitchen and bathroom in terrible condition. I had to put in a lot of my own time, effort, and money to get it back up to a livable standard. Now she's demanding I return her deposit and is threatening to sue me for it.

How should I respond to this? I slipped up and offered her a partial deposit just so I wouldn't have to deal with lawyers but she still hasn't responded. Please help.
>>
>>17161960
Housing laws vary from place to place, but if you can prove in court that she left the place in such disrepair that you used the deposit to restore the room so you can lease it again, you may be able to win. Gather your evidence!
>>
>>17161979
Basically this. We can't really help you unless we know where you're from. Sounds to me like she's just trying to scare you into giving you her money
>>
>>17161960
did you take pictures? did you keep receipts? did keep records on how much time you spent working on it?

If not you're an idiot. This goes for the lady as well.
>>
>>17161979
>>17162009
>>17162016
I don't really have any evidence, it was months ago and she's only now asking for it. Also I did most of the work myself and didn't keep receipts. The most I can do is try to make a list or spreadsheet of things I think I did and how much they cost. I do think she is trying to scare me, she's only asking because I think she planned on getting the money and never considered I wouldn't do it.

I just really don't want to get sued. What's the worst that can happen? Could I get charged with another offense for not paying immediately? Or is the worst case scenario that I have to pay the full amount? I don't want to get slapped with paying her legal fees or things either. I live in the US.
>>
>>17162030
I'm No.17161979--worse case scenario is that you WOULD have to pay her the full amount plus legal fees. If she is able to argue any other additional issues (unlivable conditions, unlawful eviction, harassment, theft, etc.) then the judge would again weight testimony and supportive evidence, but if it's just about the deposit, the judge will stick to that usually.

It always comes down to who's more credible, comes prepared to court and does NOT annoy the judge.
>>
>>17162030
>it was months ago
No court is going to take her seriously. If she felt she was entitled to the money, she'd have asked for it sooner.

You should go and see a lawyer if you're seriously concerned about it, but I promise you, she's all talk and no walk.
>>
>>17161960

Steal the money and get fucked thief.
Sonot cleaning is worse than stealing money right?
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.