[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The end of the semester has arrived. I was supposed to graduate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

File: 1370738959078.jpg (222KB, 1510x1258px) Image search: [Google]
1370738959078.jpg
222KB, 1510x1258px
The end of the semester has arrived. I was supposed to graduate this year but I fucked up by switching my major. It hurts going on facebook and seeing everyone's grad pics and happy family.

How do I stop comparing my self?

I feel like a complete failure.

My GPA is not that great either.

I switched my major way to late and Im not even sure what I really want to do with it. Switched from bio to CS. CS seemed to have have better job opportunities without going to school for an additional 4 years.

Anyone else graduate late?

How late?

What held you back?

Did future employers take notice of the extensive time you were in college?

Did graduating after more than 4 years have a negative impact on you in any way?
>>
File: image.png (490KB, 449x401px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
490KB, 449x401px
>he fell for the college meme
>>
>>17153293

You'll be fine. You're graduating at a time when the economy is at an upswing.
>>
>>17153293
You can use others as a metric of where you want to be, but once you start to dwell upon and obsess over the comparisons you're going to tear yourself up. Even if you're the best at whatever it is you do, it's going to be temporary, and there's going to be people who are better than you at basically every other aspect of life.

Try not to focus too much on comparing to others, but on comparing to self. Are you better than the you of yesterday? Have you grown? If so, you're not failing.

I'm 23 and not out of my undergrad yet. I went into a physics program, got 3 years in and basically had a break down. I was faced with the fact that to do anything in the field I needed a doctorate, and no one was letting me into labs to do research (which is needed for grad school), my girlfriend had left me, I was injured and couldn't properly do the athletics I loved. It was genuinely hellish.

I came home, applied to the local university for a kinesilogy/ electrical engineering dual major and since I've been here I've had straight As. I'm likely going to get a research position with a professor who's the most prominent researcher on campus and I should be graduating in a 2-3 semesters then heading off to graduate school for biomechanics.

Just do your best, that's all anyone can ask for.
>>
I personally graduated a month after I turned 25 and I didn’t even switch my major. After acquiring my Associates I still needed prereqs to get into the business college at any university and even after getting in, after a single semester, I actually quit my job and didn’t sign up for another semester and just kind of ran away with what I could save and after selling everything. Came back after about 8 months and really buckled down to just get my degree, which took another 12 months. Graduated with a 3.0, could have done much better but you learn no one really cares and no one talks about it after you’re done with school.

Employers never brought it up, how could they? You design your resume and all I ever said was graduated at X time. They just want to know if you have the skills they need and honestly they care so much more about verbal and communication skills. Cultural fit is king. I had the skills and I got the job. No, it was not the first company I interviewed with. And yes, some interviews I had were because I had friends who worked at the companies. But, in the end, it was still me and all my extra years of education and wisdom that helped. You truly do grow over time and you only get better if you’re still educating yourself as you get older. Never feel bad for more education.

I enjoyed how I spent my time and that’s why it didn’t have a negative impact. While I may have judged myself more critically, everyone else respected that I was a student as if I was fully employed and the like. It’s all about pursuing a goal, only those who are stagnant are viewed negatively. I guarantee as the time passes people will even respect you more for switching to a more challenging major that everyone knows is making money. It’s your own personal confidence in the path you’ve decided to take that will convince everyone you meet that you made the right choice.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.