[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I royally fucked up my final year and I'm' going to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

I royally fucked up my final year and I'm' going to get a 2.2 in IT, I know I'm screwed what can I do to lead a decent life or how can I end my life quickly.
>>
File: image.jpg (55KB, 600x190px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55KB, 600x190px
If you can't salvage your school, get an apprenticeship to be an electrician or something. They can make good money.

You've got to keep moving forward, OP
>>
>>17108397
The degree is almost set in stone, I've done the calculations countless times, I always walk away with a 2.2.
An Apprenticeship? It feels pretty yuck to walk away from so many years of my life. Maybe that is the best Idea though, I just don't know.
>>
>>17108390
is a 2.2 really that bad? what are you studying? from what i know people with 2.2 dont really struggle anymore than people with 2.1
>>
>>17108439
Software Engineering, I don't know man I've heard some contrarian things to that statement. That it's really hard to find employment and in the long run you'll earn less.
>>
>>17108410
sorry, reread, didnt realise you stated that you are doing IT. i dont see how you will struggle finding a decent job with a 2.2, there are so many job opportunities in IT.
>>
>>17108448
i think you are over worrying. if you land a job, and you show your commitment and worth while working, you shouldent earn less. not sure how hard it is to find a job in software egeninnering though. im studying criminology
>>
>>17108457
This. The hardest part will be landing a job. If you do that, bust your butt, and pick up useful skills, you can market yourself for a better position in a few years. Don't be afraid to look for places in different states or even countries.
>>
>>17108451
a lot of places want a minimum 2:1, There are lots of job opportunities but I'm worried about getting my foot in the door and making a decent salary. it just feels like if you got a 2.2 you're going to be screened out at once.

>>17108457
I hope I am I really do software engineering should have good amount of opportunity but a lot of recruiters want a 2:1.

>>17108462
Maybe you guys are right If I could land a job, i may be able to get a decent pay grade.

Does anyone have any advice for seeking employment with small businesses?
I already plan to ask my university if they know any one who'd hire 2.2 degree applicant, graduate schemes pretty much seem to be a dream at this point.
>>
>>17108390
Top tip: once you have 4-5 years of relevant experience your final grade doesn't matter. My dad does job interviews for accountancy positions and he considers it childish when candidates specify they got a 2:1 if it's been a long time since they graduated.

If it's really bothering you, do a masters and tell interviewers you did it because you felt the 2:2 didn't reflect your abilities or something like that
>>
Noone cares about your score, only that your degree exists. I have never asked for the score in an interviewer, nor do I know other interviewers who have.

Fresh graduates have no work experience at all, so we usually just check if they know the basics, how intelligent they are, and if they're generally ok guys.
>>
>>17108390
leave your GPA off of your resume, obvs. don't even bring it up unless they ask.
>>
>>17108570
Yeah maybe I should just focus on places that will hire me, and build up the experience.

>>17108605
That's reassuring at least I'l hopefully be able to get some jobs. If I study up on the basics and present myself positively.

>>17108609
Probably for the best it seems, I doubt any one will be impressed.

Thanks for the replies guys, maybe it isn't the end of the world, if i just study the questions I expect to be asked and present myself maybe I'll be able to get employment and pay off the debt. I'm feeling really hopeful maybe it's possible.
>>
The hardest part is getting your first job, network like a bitch senpai
After that no one will give a shit
>>
What does the british system even mean? What does 2:2 mean in percentage terms out of 100%?

like here a 3.0 GPA means a 75% average (roughly a B letter grade)
>>
>>17108626
2.2 is 50% at least in my uni it is.
>>
>>17108622
does anyone have advice for getting the first job, do I just send out CV's untill I've tried everyone in one town and move to the next town over.

>>17108626
It's a slightly convoluted system, basically it's a year average, with the last years average taken into account. different university's calculate it differently. roughly I'd say 1st is A, 2:1 is B, 2:2 is C and 3rd is D.
There's not plus or minus you hit a tier or you don't.
>>
>>17108641
Talk to people
You'll probably need a connection to get a job
>>
>>17108390
Brah the only people who care about gpa are assholes and grad schools.
>>
Getting a first, 2:1 or a 2:2 doesn't mean shit,

Employers mainly care about your knowledge in your field of study and what you can offer to them.

I graduated with a 2:2 in Interactive Media, Now got a job on £28k a year in Web Development all because I had a strong portfolio and a good understanding of Web Development

I felt the same way as you OP until I improved my portfolio and carried on learning as I was earning.
>>
>>17108831
>28k
I'm so sorry
>>
>>17108853
Not him, but 28k is pretty good for someone in their twenties. Bare in mind companies get taxed a lot more here than in the states but in exchange we have free healthcare and top-tier schools in most parts of the country.
>>
>>17108390
why the fuck do people care so much about their grades? if your future employer cares more about your grades than your attitude then why the would anyone even want to work there in the first place?!
>>
>>17108770
I don't think I actual have any connections like that, I'll try and see but most my friends will be looking for their owns jobs as graduates.

>>17108831
Do you have any advice on how I can bolster up my portfolio, do just make projects and write about them?

>>17108948
If I had to guess I'd say because of a large amount people don't think they can progress in life with poor grades. I agree with you that i dislike the emphasis on grades but, but its about money and having a secure employment field as well.

Man I've really got to get my act together, I need to try to start applying for 2.2 positions, or building my portfolio. I just don't want my years of education to be a waste and I don't want to not be able to financially support myself. That's honestly what I fear had happened. but maybe with a lot of luck and hard work towards bulking up my cv I can put those fears aside. not sure how I'll bulk up my cv no sure how I can, but I've got to try.
>>
>>17108770
Think outside of your friends. your parents, their friends, your friend's parents, old bosses and coworkers. THAT'S networking.
>>
I graduated with worse than that, and I'm doing quite well for myself. You won't get into Google with a GPA like that, but Google takes an extremely uncommon position as far as that goes.

Nobody else cares, unless you have no work experience at all. If that describes you, get a Github and write some working open-source code: what it does barely even matters, as long as it works. The open-source angle is practical, not ideological: you need something you can show to prospective employers without getting yourself into trouble or causing them undue hassle, and open-source cuts through all of the red tape.

This will get you into an entry-level position of low to middling prestige, but for the time being, that's all you need. Work hard to distinguish yourself in this position, and keep your portfolio up to date. Once you have a few years of experience and a great portfolio, no one will care about your GPA anymore, and you can start going for more prestigious jobs.

Except at Google. But Google is psycho.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.