[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is college a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8

File: 1456255291454.jpg (67KB, 600x549px) Image search: [Google]
1456255291454.jpg
67KB, 600x549px
Is college a meme?
>>
No, college isn't a meme. But it's a tool for getting into a field you like, not a "one size fits all" approach to landing a satisfying career. Personally, I say that college works best when you know exactly what you want to do, how to get there, and are sure earning a degree is part of that process.
>>
>>17020218
Yeah. Real college is just a place where people go to learn a shit ton. Its not parties. Its not shitloads of pussy. Its education. You dont have to go but it will make you more do$h in life.
>>
Did you see American Pie, or Scary Movie, or When Harry Met Sally, or any movie in the last 10 years

College is an experience, but education is not.
>>
>>17020522
>movies
>accurate depictions of reality
>>
>>17020218
A meme (/ˈmiːm/ meem) is "an idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture".
>>
>>17020594
Hello newfriend
>>
>>17020559
College is a meme.

If you go to school, you magically become endowed with the wisdom of collegiate masters.
>>
>>17020604

>magically

no, if you pass the class it shows you understand the material.

thats not magic, its called studying.
>>
File: 1428161050992.png (448KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1428161050992.png
448KB, 900x900px
>>17020218

what the fuck does your question even imply?

what would saying 'yes' actually fucking mean?
>>
>>17020612
So if I get a satisfactory grade, does that mean I understand the material, or that I take tests really well?
>>
>be me
>absolutely no idea what I want to do with life
>going to college

FML
>>
>>17020620
>have no idea what I want to do with my life
>spend money on a liberal arts degree
>get told by everyone its useless

life is suffering
>>
>>17020594
That it isn't worth wasting thousands of dollars on something that has little to no real educational value.
>>
>>17020617
You can take tests really well. Trust me I'm an eng student and I passed all my exams with good grades just by doing example papers a couple days before. I never read the lecture notes. I never read the books.

No fucking clue what I was supposed to have learnt but I'm reading about it in my own time now lol
>>
>>17020617

no matter how well you 'test' you had to have some understanding of the material at the time of taking it.

yes, you can just go and forget it tomorrow if you want to argue that point.

but if you were smart enough to go to college you wouldnt be sitting here trying to argue that point.
>>
>>17020625

depends what you are studying. you can argue all you want that college literally teaches nothing (you'd be wrong) but the 'educational value' is what translates into real world earning potential.
>>
Throw all of the 18-24 year olds of society into a small area and they don't have to work or pay anything until they leave.

Basically if you want to be a normal you will go and experience other people, pussy, and figure out which of those people you want to associate with in the future.

Go to a fucking state school for 1/5th of the cost and don't be stupid and you'll get enough scholarships to not get assraped in debt.

Oh yeah and learn a skill, be it your degree or otherwise. I went to a 70k "tech" job with a liberal arts degree because I played with computers as a hobby.
>>
>>17020627
It's scary.

I think I aced all of history in high school and my college psychology class without understanding a lick of the material. All I did was go to class and take notes. The tests were easy if I remember.

Most of my life has been a series of good test taking, because I learn stuff really fast, I don't like to slow down and review material, so I don't retain information as long as I should. By time a test comes my way it's just a matter of picking the most sensible answers. It's only until I get the grade back that I get to go over anything I did and learn properly.
>>
>>17020627
>You can take tests really well.
>Trust me I'm an eng student
kek
post more pls

(Sincerely, /lit/)
>>
File: CdyFQy6.png (49KB, 1111x1024px) Image search: [Google]
CdyFQy6.png
49KB, 1111x1024px
>>17020620
We'll be fine.
>>
>>17020620
can I make an odd suggestion, how about instead of going to college right after highschool you take some time off and work or even join the military. It'll give you a great deal of valuable perspective on just how soul crushing working a dead end can be.
>>
>>17020660
Dead end jobs aren't what scare me.

I had a job in 2014 that paid like 13 dollars an hour with a lot of potential for growth and financial adjustment, but the amount of asskissing and ingratiating I would have to do to just feel like my job was secure was way too much. I was against taking the job when it was offered to me, but I went on with it by recommendation.
>>
>>17020617
I didnt know you were in highschool saucey. Come in back when you can offer advice that applies to people outside of hs.
>>
File: 1423021154649.jpg (99KB, 401x477px) Image search: [Google]
1423021154649.jpg
99KB, 401x477px
>>17020669
spicy meme
>>
>>17020671
>missing the point of college.
Highschool is about taking tests and doing menial work to train you for the desk you will sit in for the rest of your life.
College is about learning concepts and skills to help you with your special snowflake specific menial desk job.
The fact that you paid college tuition for a highschool education just shows how thin your brain is. Ive never respected you less saucey. I usually agree with you opinions.
>>
>>17020641
Its a good thing to be quick like that, but at the same time I felt really guilty because I had no concrete understanding and eng is pretty reliant on that so I basically ruined what I came to do.
Also, I believe I devalued my own degree, if anyone can pass without learning the material, why are STEM subjects considered hard?

>>17020647
Posting more. I scored a first in one of the exams too, should you wish to kek further.
Going to assume /lit/ is familiar with squeezing marks out of nothing, creativity is not a strong suit for engfags
>>
>>17020684
Where the fuck did you get that I was still in High School?
>>
>>17020691
>hurr durr its about the tests. Testing good means passing. Passing is whats important.
I dunno i guess your shitpost
>>
>>17020721
yeah but you're not really explaining where I... said I was still in High School--it's just confusing.

Are you okay?
>>
>>17020726
You just had this high school kid attitude about education. Once youre past high school i assumed everyone figured out that its retarded to have that mindset. I was mistaken.
>>
>>17020741
So you're basically alluding to college NOT being a series of formalities and gradual test taking instances?
>>
>>17020743
While that is part of it, youre an idiot if you dont use the IMMENSE amount of information held within. Once you get there you realize that the formalities are second to people who want to actually learn.
>>
>>17020758
I went to a community college man, I don't know what feature of education you seem to be describing, but the immense amount of expertise you're talking about must be some cushy ivy league level erudition.
>>
>>17020763
Oh. My bad. Even open enrollment universities have that. Community college is just high school 2.0
>>
>>17020768
Well thank you for your undulating wisdom, but where do you get off condescending to people?
>>
>>17020776
Here. It just pisses me off seeing somebody spout misinformation. Particularly on /adv/
>>
>>17020778
Okay, but just so you know it's not ruining my day when you tell people that college isn't about being able to produce results on a timely matter.

So you can take your degree and your phd and use it whenever you feel like.
>>
>>17020768
This. CC is for people who are really poor but want to go to a state school, so get their gen eds done for cheap, or people who have no idea what they want to do but are smart enough not to get assraped by university costs while figuring it out.
>>
>>17020781
>being able to produce results on a timely matter.
Thats part of it.
Im not trying to ruin you day. Like i said, i usually agree with you but on this i think youre wrong. Have a good one okay?
>>
>>17020810
I don't know why you keep reading my posts wrong, but if you are going to be a dick about it, sure. I'll have a good one, thanks for telling me I'm an idiot.
>>
>>17020812
>why you keep reading my posts
Because you keep replying silly. I dont think youre an idiot.
>>
>>17020816
I don't think you know what you're talking about and I'm pretty sure you're just trying to save face.
>>
>>17020617
>does that mean I understand the material, or that I take tests really well?
If you're in a major that means anything then you can't pass by just being able to "take tests really well".
Maybe you can pull that shit off as an English major, but walk into any upper division STEM class and if you don't have the prerequisite knowledge and you don't study, you will definitely fail.
>>
>>17020818
>you know what you're talking about
Thanks!
>>
>>17020824
>degree engenderment argument

don'd mean to be an asshole but if you're going to start an argument about which classes matter more in which context, you're going to have a hard time communicating the general idea of what classes mean for a lot of people who just want a decent paying job. Probably someone like me.

>>17020828
smart postere
>>
File: 1457986464986.jpg (50KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1457986464986.jpg
50KB, 640x640px
College is not a meal ticket.
College is not an insurance policy.
You take away what you put into it.
If you didn't like school, college is not worth your time.
If you have no direction or strong aspirations, you shouldn't enroll 'just for your gen eds' to kill time until you settle on a 'marketable' major two and a half years in.
If you spend six hours a day on 4chan trying to validate your life decisions and taste in japanimations, you're probably not cut out for college or any kind of involved profession.
Learn a trade, get a union job, squirrel money away.
Living beyond your means with a degree is a much worse place to be by comparison.
>>
college is high school 2.0. It's a place to babysit people in their 20s before they're in the 'real' world.
>>
>>17020218
I know I'm gonna get flak for this, but unless you're a social butterfly who loves meeting new people and learning new things, all while having it paid off through scholarships or parents, college will be hands down 1 of the most depressing experiences of your entire life.

You're stuck in an environment where it is more difficult to form deep, meaningful relationships with people since just about everyone is just moving from point A to point B in classes. Especially since a lot of them are more concerned about "networking" than anything else. You're forced to live with at least 1 other person, maybe up to 3, of which you have no choice over. You better hope you guys get along and see eye to eye on certain things. Or you can still live with your parents at 21. For the first 3, maybe even 4 years you are forced to retake classes you either felt meh towards or flat out hated in high school. Meanwhile you're having to try to keep yourself afloat financially. You'll probably have to take up a job that sucks dick and is in no way related to your major and get paid to make it by check to check, thus killing just about any free time to yourself. And the icing on the cake is that you have to endure this for 4+ years all while going into tens of thousands of dollars into debt that can take anywhere from 10-20 years to pay off.

By the time you've graduated and become a working "adult", you'll have been numbed by the shit you endured in college to where being a grown up paying bills and mortgages will seem like a positive as opposed to what you went through.
>>
>>17020862
That was the advice my mom gave me but she never lived it.

Never went to college, never picked up a trade, never did anything. My friends all went to school and the army, never had a problem until they got enrolled in their graduate programs and now it seems like the only thing that matters is the grade.
>>
>>17020862
>If you spend six hours a day on 4chan trying to validate your life decisions and taste in japanimations, you're probably not cut out for college or any kind of involved profession.

Know multiple CS majors who do this with offers from Facebook. Fuck off.

>Learn a trade, get a union job, squirrel money away.

Be pigeonholed in the Blue Collar social class where nobody will take you seriously.
Fuck off.

"COLLEGE IS A WASTE OF TIME GUYZ" always translates to "destroy your class mobility, move away from the libruhl city, become a drone and vote trump fuck the entitled libruhsl and their phds who needs those'

Third time. Fuck off. Probably some butthurt poorfag who justifies his shitty life situation and choices.
>>
>>17020888
Yeah but even if he is some butthurt faggot, it still doesn't help that college is a meme.

I haven't seen a single post in this thread that debunks the myth.
>>
>>17020874

nobody but rednecks respects army grunts (unless its airforce or navy)and blue collar mechanic plebs. Your mother is an idiot and so is platypus fag.
>>
>>17020892
college is a meme

If you go, you're Carlton Banks, if you don't go, you're too sick for school and too sick for video games.
>>
>>17020891
a college degree, unless it's from the shittest school, is a piece of paper that tells employers you have cultural capital and you can follow directions.

If you want to get all existential about it yes it's a meme but so is the blue collar fantasy of the high earning glorified plumber who cleans my shit for me.
>>
>>17020901
College is the place you go to develop social and promontory skills.
>>
Also, most of the foundation for critical thinking and exemplifying what it means to be 'educated' come from secondary school, NOT college.

A lot of people who go to college and come out unemployed or with a job at starbucks probably went through the garbage american US public school system which is basically legalized child abuse. People who are educated in private institutions or public schools in good districts aren't fucking morons and learn how to leverage what they have to do better than cleaning shit like >>17020862 Joe the Plumber over here is preaching.

If college is a meme, 'you do not need college to make it in laafe hurr durr let me fuck my sister' is an even shittier meme.

Pull your head out of your ass, get a degree and educate yourself. Otherwise you'll be stupid enough to take Platypus fag seriously.
>>
>>17020925
College is a place people go to get high paying jobs and put their life in perspective.

College is truly a meme.
>>
>>17020927

Life is a meme.
>>
>>17020906
>College is the place you go to develop social skills
Woops.
>>
>>17020937
That's just plain stupid!

Life is a video game not a meme. I'm a good test taker, but I don't tell anyone to go to college just because it'll get them money or a job. College is a place you go to further your education faster, you can get an education reasonably quickly in college, but it isn't so that you can't get one anywhere else. Most of the people in this thread are right under my logic that college is a meme. College is a device for most people, a tool, an apparatus, no one in this thread cares about school or the foundation of it. Not the teachers or any outstanding liberties thereof.

College is a school. You have to treat it like that or else you'll just end up angry and jaded like a lot of people with degrees. Don't go into school treating it like it's this organism that's meant to work for you, it's designed for your contribution, not the other way around.
>>
>>17020262
>90% of college students have no idea if their major is worth it or if they'll stick with it
So college isn't a meme unless you're most people
>>
File: 1347123382876.jpg (44KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
1347123382876.jpg
44KB, 450x600px
>>17020888
Someone's having a rough go of grad school :-)

Some counterpoints:
Your friends probably had latent talents and passions for computing. Most /adv/ users don't have either in any marketable field. They wouldn't come here otherwise.
Blue collar work is more stable than the alternatives, be it retail or living like a bum, for people who can't hack it in academics.
'Class mobility' is a relative concept. The disparity between the upper and lower mid is negligible in the United States, and you sound very Long Island milquetoast to me.

I'm not saying college is an outright waste of time or money. I'm saying that it might be if you're not already working toward it, as well as your long term goals.
>>
>>17020925
I'm glad you're putting those critical thinking skills to use by swearing at strangers on the internet.
>>
>>17020969

I think it's ridiculous that college is pushed as "the next step" after high-school graduation, because most 18-19-year-olds have no fucking idea what to do with their lives. 90% of people would be better off just working for a few years, and going to college around the age of 25 and 30.

It's a hugely profitable ad campaign, basically. If you take a gap year, you're a failure. If you don't plan on going to college right after high school, you're a fucking loser with no direction in life. All that shit is a massive lie. But that doesn't mean higher education is worthless, not by a long shot
>>
>>17021022
>90% of people would be better off just working for a few years,
Germany and other countries do this.

America sucks
>>
>>17021050

They're making money hand over fist off these dumb kids and their dumber parents

You have NO idea how hard American parents will push their kids, like "please Billy, don't be a failure, PLEASE let us flush $100,000 down the drain for you to get an undergrad degree in... wait, Philosophy? OH RIGHT YOU'RE 18 AND YOU HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT YOU'RE DOING"
>>
>>17021022
I think it's because in the 30's, after schooling, you generally continued your education right after. It's not like that anymore, people know what they want to study, so college is a much different entity in terms of the bursar.
>>
>>17021061
>dumber parents

Nah man. It's all the millennial's fault. Millennials are the stupid ones. They're entitled. They are the bane of existence. Why do millennials ruin everything? /s
>>
>>17021088

>butthurt parent of a film major detected
>>
>>17021107
>not seeing the /s

shit scrubber detected
>>
File: 1427053514211.png (230KB, 200x280px) Image search: [Google]
1427053514211.png
230KB, 200x280px
My soft skills are poor, my math skills are mediocre, I fucking hate college, but I still want to go and get a BA in something because I want to make more than 70k a year, plus it's 2016 and if you don't go to college it means you are dumb and pretty much human refuse. I'm really between a rock and a hard place, I have to choose between doing something that I hate and am not cut out for, or being a fucking loser and letting my family down. I don't know what to do either way I lose
>>
File: 1457210627467.jpg (22KB, 200x275px) Image search: [Google]
1457210627467.jpg
22KB, 200x275px
>>17021491
It's okay, you're not the only one.
>>
>>17021491

>wasting 100k of your parents' money on a degree that won't help you
>not a letdown

If you don't know what you want, don't go to college yet. Just get a job and start earning some money. College will still be there in a year, or two years, or whatever. Fuck, you've all REALLY bought this ad campaign. You're not obligated to have a whole life plan the moment you graduate high school, very few people do.
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.