[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Writing essays

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: Inazuma.Eleven.GO.full.1462679.jpg (397KB, 650x569px) Image search: [Google]
Inazuma.Eleven.GO.full.1462679.jpg
397KB, 650x569px
I'm in college right now and I'm more of a math guy than a Language Arts/English one.

I want to ask how to get good at writing essays, everything I write is so cringe-worthy, gay and stupid.
I don't read so much on my free time so that might be why.

I know in art you usually imitate the artists or photos to get gud, is it the same with writing? Do I just need to copy down some sections of a good book or essay and will the rest come naturally?

Posted on /lit/ but no reponse
>>
You don't copy down anything, idiot. That's called plagiarism. As with anything, you improve through experience and feedback.
>>
Are you looking just at essays? That's much easier than becoming good at creative writing, although that is also a fun and doable thing.

Copy? No. I'd say...imitate the style off. Find an author for whatever kind of thing you want to write that you like and admire. Think about what sets their writing apart. Do they write long, flowery sentences? Do they write short ones? Do they use a lot of fragments? Metaphors? Are they sarcastic sounding?
Emulate it. You'll figure out eventually what style you are best at. But I developed my fiction writing voice/style by emulation first. As far as essays go, there's a lot of good academic resources to learn about what makes a good essay, essay styles, etc that go beyond basic, uninspiring pass-the-SAT type crap.

If you're interested in fiction stuff there's whole other dimensions to consider as far as making sure your writing is "good." Lots of resources though. I have nothing to do today and I'm in a good mood so I can add to your google power if you point me in the direction of what you want. Also happy to comment on samples if you're feeling up to it.

Does your college have a writing center? Mine does. English majors here will look over my papers for free, doesn't even have to be for a class.
>>
Are there even majors that students can pick that allow them to not have to write papers? I'm a polisci student, so for me college has been one paper after another.
>>
>I know in art you usually imitate the artists or photos to get gud, is it the same with writing?

no, the similar thing would be READING good writers/essays to get an idea for what a really good essay is. don't copy word for word, that's plagiarism
>>
>>16949134

I'm a physics/math major. I have to write scientific papers. I also have written grant proposals. I know they're still papers and they still require following bullshit formats and citing things correctly (nothing worse than needing to come up with n^fuck citations for something everyone knows already)...but I don't think of it the same way because so many other things don't matter that do matter for other papers.

That said, I think I probably only wrote 5 papers in the course of my classes of any length. Getting real lab experience was where I ended up writing the most.
>>
>>16949097
>>16949139
>plagiarism
dude I know not to copy shit and claim it as your own
I don't cheat
>>
>>16949086
>I want to ask how to get good at writing essays
Practice?

Typically texts which are nice to read follow a natural flow from introduction to ending. This goes for any given type of text you might read. Make sure you can adhere to that.

Other than that there are a few pointers; finish a paragraph as soon as it's done and don't dwindle on other subjects in it. Don't make sentences longer than they have to be. If a sentence becomes too long just divide it in two in a sensible manner, alternatively make good use of commas. Even with commas you should avoid long sentences.

As for your writing style it's hard to give you any advice as it's mainly a personal thing unless you try really hard to emulate someone else. Might help more if I knew what kind of essay you were talking about.
>>
File: 1458388353510.png (113KB, 232x292px) Image search: [Google]
1458388353510.png
113KB, 232x292px
>>16949188
>what kind of essay
I guess anything that doesn't sound cringe-y? I don't know. I haven't dived into learning writing or know the major individuals in English writing.

Is there some guide out there that introduces beginners like me into writing? Most of the guides I found were for people who've been writing for years/intermediates.
>>
>>16949203
Why would you be asked to write an essay with that definition?

Also; http://www.wikihow.com/Write-an-Essay
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.