[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What kind of jobs will not be destroyed by robotics? I currently

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: images.jpg (5KB, 260x194px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5KB, 260x194px
What kind of jobs will not be destroyed by robotics? I currently want to be a welder, but I feel like robotics have already started to take over jobs. Welding seems like an easy target. What kind of jobs are invincible to the mighty army of robots?
>>
Carpentry is about the most robot proof job. White collar will disappear as AI gets stronger.
>>
>>16948008
I guess some types of welding will be safe for a while yet. All the welding in car factories is done by robots, there are pipe welding robots and ship building probably uses at least some automation. However, there's allways repair work. For instance, having a bot weld up the hole in the bottom of my van wouldn't be practical - you'd either have to spend three times longer programing it to do that particular spot than it would take to do it by hand, or you'd need an AI complex enough that it could figure it out on its own, but for someone to buy a machine like that and run it at a profit they'd likley have to charge me more than the van was worth for a 10 minuite job.

>>16948040
>Carpentry is about the most robot proof job
As a chippe I honestly don't think that's right. There is a machine for literally every possible task, and off the top of my head I can't think of anything at all that has to be done entirley by hand. Machines generally produce work at a level of a well skilled guy too. For example we've a board cutting robot in the yard. I can produce a cut just as clean and straight by hand, by measuring out, marking up, sawing, and planing. Halving a 2440 board like that might take me, say, 10 minuites. With the robot, you lay the board on it, enter the size you want it cut to and hit go. The whole process takes a couple of minuites, and most of that is the time it takes me to set it up, the arm cuts at 300mm/sec, so if you had another machine doing the lifting it'd be making 10 cuts in the time it takes me to do one, without making any mistakes, without stopping to go outside for a smoke and without expecting to be paid £150 a day.
>>
Making robots.

If that job gets taken over, humanity is fucked so your job won't be an issue.
>>
Currently, jobs requiring some manner of creativity seem to be the best hedge against automation. Robots are good at doing things to prepared specifications, and at running different permutations of prepared sets, but thus far, creating new specs and sets eludes them. If you're the one making those, you are still set.

Realistically, I think the trades are also set for now, at least during the time you're likely to be in the workforce. Our children and grandchildren may be another matter, but AI won't advance quickly enough for us.
>>
Maybe therapy or social work?
Even if a computer can give better advice than a human, nobody will actually trust arobot with these things.
>>
>>16948160
Excuse >>16948040
Carpenter fag isn't actually a carpenter.
>>
ten seconds in fucking google

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2015/05/21/408234543/will-your-job-be-done-by-a-machine

How hard is it, really? It blows my mind that so many people on this site are incapable of utilizing even the most basic of research skills.
>>
>>16948940
ha, 1,6% get rekt
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.