[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I dorm with someone I know?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: nuggies.jpg (44KB, 479x400px) Image search: [Google]
nuggies.jpg
44KB, 479x400px
I'll be attending my first year at college next year, and am torn as to whether I should room with a friend from highschool, or a stranger. The friend has asked me if I'd like to room together, and although I like the guy and think we'd get along well, I worry I might be taking the "easy way out" and doing this might shelter me from new experiences at college. What are your experiences with roommates /adv/, and what would you recommend?
>>
I would have liked to have a familiar. You'll get to meet tons of people in college. My roommate experience freshman year was horrible though.

Some people said that once they moved in with a close friend, it became kind of impractical to live together. Because now you're kind of just getting a lot of negatives that come with living with someone overshadowing the fun you would have from being friends.

It goes both ways though.
>>
A little background, pros and cons:
>Didn't get out much in highschool, most friends (including mentioned friend) were kind of shut-ins, and I don't want that lifestyle to follow me into college. This friend definitely wouldn't be exposing me to many new experiences.

>On the other hand the college I'll be attending has a reputation for being a bit of a party school. I've never been a hedonist, but having this friend around might keep me from swinging too far to the other side

>I'm not an extremely sociable person (not anti-social either), having someone I'm relaxed around might be a nice change of pace from what I'm assuming will be a pell-mell experience
>>
>>16947057
How was it horrible? I'm curious about how bad it could get.

The friend isn't exactly a close friend, and he actually drives me nuts sometimes. But he's a mellow person who I'm comfortable with and I can foresee being easy to get along with.
>>
You get financially raped to go to university in the US and you have to share a room with somebody? That's worse than prison in many places. That's quite an awkward situation so I would choose somebody I knew every time. I wouldn't put myself in that situation in the first place though.
>>
>>16947069
It was horrible because the "personality matcher" thing they had freshmen take gave me the worst possible outcome. All three of us could not have been more different in personality, habits hobbies, interests, and even race. I was really annoyed with them by the end of the year, but I know I'm to blame for some of it. We just weren't compatible.

If you know you can reasonably get along with someone, I would opt to live with them. It can give you an anchor to hold onto when you want a little reminder of the past and there's just a lot of stuff to deal with.
>>
>>16947082
Also it wasn't THAT bad. Horrible is kind of an exaggeration.
>>
>>16947043
I've been randomly matched with roommates before and not once has it been a positive experience.

I was in a triple once with two guys who were total bros but we planned that switch between semesters.

OP, you're definitely gonna wanna bunk with someone you know will be fine rather than gamble on getting someone who's fucking insufferable.

You can meet plenty of people through classes and clubs, keep your dorm a place where you can de-stress.
>>
>>16947082
>>16947120
Thanks for the advice my guys, I think I'll go with the friend
>>
>>16947082
> All three of us could not have been more different in personality, habits hobbies, interests, and even race.
That was probably the idea
>>
>>16947136
Well if it was then it was a pretty shitty one in my case.

Both of them ended up dropping out after that year so I got a fresh start the next year.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.