[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it insulting when someone doesn't look in your eyes when

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1453129386460.jpg (46KB, 317x379px) Image search: [Google]
1453129386460.jpg
46KB, 317x379px
Is it insulting when someone doesn't look in your eyes when talking to them?

I kind of feel weird looking at people's eyes directly.
>>
>>16946930

It's not insulting, more we know you have autism.
>>
>>16946930
>Is it insulting when someone doesn't look in your eyes when talking to them?
Being able to maintain eye contact shows dominance and/or comfort. Everyone knows you're not dominant and you're not comfortable. That's about it.
>>
>>16946963
Usually, but not always. Sometimes the other person is really ugly, or just so funny looking you cant look at them with a staight face.
>>
incredibly insulting

especially if they want you to do something
>>
>>16946930
It gives them the impression that you are not interested in them or what they have to say. Body language and tone is like 90% of communication (unless you are an interesting or beneficial person to speak to, then that remaining 10% has a much larger influence on people and they will seek you out), which is why extroverts tend to have more emotion, inflection, and fluidity in both their body language and the way they speak.

If you do not outwardly show interest in other people, then they will not feel inclined to talk to you, and they will probably avoid you or ignore you since they feel as if you do the same to them.

When I make eye contact with someone, especially when I'm trying to build rapport, I feel as if I am connecting with them on a deeper level than if I was not. It's difficult to explain, but if you don't do it on a regular basis then you will not understand what it is like. Don't force it, though, because it will make them feel awkward too.
>>
>>16946985
At least look at the person you want to make communication with, don't mgrgrgr and then get pissed when they're not interested in what you have to say.
>>
>>16946985
Meh my friends are cool with it just wondering how strangers would feel.

Anyways thanks for the insight.
>>
File: 1419806696202.jpg (31KB, 337x485px) Image search: [Google]
1419806696202.jpg
31KB, 337x485px
>>16947016
I had such a huge problem in high school because I had come back into Queens and no one would talk to me directly, so I didn't say anything for like all of tenth grade until I met people who would actually one on one me.

I was in such shit with some of my teachers too, because I was cutting class and the one teacher wouldn't even identify with me as a individual until Parent Teacher conferences. So it wasn't until I had that talk with him directly that Is topped. It's a huge thing for me even if I usually idealize it in affable stances.
>>
For me, yes. I need eye contact. To me it's extremely weird and off-putting and rude not to look into someone's eyes. I blame myself, tho. I have very light blue eyes and I know I can be too intense. Two of my exes told me that when I look at people it's like I can see right through them. I can understand why that makes them uncomfortable. But still it makes me feel terrible, like I'm too ugly to look at.
>>
>>16947016
You're welcome, my perspective of it is just that it helps build connection with people and gives them the impression that you are into them, even if you aren't.

Strangers and your friends are very different people.

I can talk to and relate to just about anybody when I really want to, because they know that I am interested in what they have to say. Sometimes people I barely even know share secrets with me and views that they never really tell anybody else, so it does help. If you show people that they are interested in what they have to say and build trust/feed their ego, you have an influence on them.
>>
>>16947092
I kind of understand what you mean. People tell me from time to time that I am an intimidating person, even though I'm not muscular or anything (although I am athletic and have a pretty fit build despite being lanky). My demeanor and voice give off an impression of hostility even though I am not a hateful or judgemental person. Sometimes I say things that come off as angry even though I'm not mad.

I do, however, get bored of most people very quickly and people mistake that as hostility. If I didn't have good social skills and an open-minded outlook regarding people then I probably wouldn't have any friends (which I for several years of my chuldhood and adolescence, and nearly drove myself insane because I didn't understand how intimidating I was to some people).

I don't have blue eyes, but I have an expression and demeanor that scares people unless I deliberately change my posture, comfort them, and/or quit taking the conversation seriously.
>>
>>16947154
People at work usually called me a chump on a daily basis so I have more of a reason to feel annoyed when people don't look at me when I say something.

Vice versa too.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.