[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is a 4 year bachelor's degree in statistics a good thing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: variance.jpg (166KB, 600x422px) Image search: [Google]
variance.jpg
166KB, 600x422px
Is a 4 year bachelor's degree in statistics a good thing to have?

It's really the only subject I have any sort of "passion" for, and the only one I truly care about.

My ultimate goal is to work in the finance sector, preferably in banking or as an analyst of some kind, but I feel more compelled to pursue a B.S. in statistics than I do in business or accounting.

Thoughts?
>>
look into becoming an actuary
>>
>>16941871
That's also another career I'm considering because there are so many different opportunities in it, and it has much faster than average job growth according to the BLS.
>>
>>16941871
>>16941879
Do you think a BS in statistics would stand up to a BS in mathematics or computer science?
>>
>>16941865
It's good and you can also get into actuarial science which pays a lot of money
>>
>>16941865
Could you get your degree in statistics and minor in accounting (or finance, or whatever field you decide to pursue)?
>>
>>16941882
Yes, there are 10s of thousands of job openings in statistics. Unfilled job openings.
>>
Statistics can be fun if you know what you're doing an can decipher all the data. Kinda feels like you know something other people don't know or don't realize.

Most people I knew in college who studied statistics extensively just took it as minor from another STEM major because it helped with grad school or as a backup plan. Rarely did they actually major in it.
>>
File: Header6.jpg (294KB, 912x513px) Image search: [Google]
Header6.jpg
294KB, 912x513px
Maybe data visualization (infographics, etc) could interest you and learn to code as well. The pay is good if you can make stunning graphics.
>>
>>16941865

Statistician is a viable profession. Data-mining and analysis, modeling, supporting (teams of) researchers, finance, econometrics, big data, you name it. Companies and governments need people who can dive into the data, interpret it for them, and who can transform the data to fit their needs, to get the most out of it. They need someone who can tell them what they can and can't do with their valuable data, what questions they can and can't answer.
>>
>>16942108
Yes. My university offers a finance minor. I was considering that, actuarial science, computer programming, or business admin as minors.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.