[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I overcome literally crippling shyness? I'm 18 now,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1457670466318.png (787KB, 1637x682px) Image search: [Google]
1457670466318.png
787KB, 1637x682px
How do I overcome literally crippling shyness? I'm 18 now, almost 19, half way through my 2nd semester of college, never had a friend in my life except for one time when I was 8 because of it.

I get don't really get "anxiety", it's just extreme shyness. It's getting worse, almost to the point that I can't talk in text chat in games (lel). I have no idea why this is happening.

Too shy to talk to people, too shy to be looked at, too shy to go out in public, etc.. I haven't left the house without a hoodie and sweat pants in over a year, except for once when I had to give a presentation for college, which was probably the worst experience of my life. After it was over, everyone was in one big group talking to each other and shit and I just looked like a retard standing in the corner using my phone.

I recognize that this is completely illogical but it just happens, I can't control it.

I don't WANT it to happen, I try to ignore it/make it not effect me, but it is beyond that level of effect. It is so strong it is just not something I can control myself.

I have no reason to be shy. I come from a rich family and drive a $125k car, I'm not ugly, not fat, etc (although I was until around age 15-16).

Is this even fixable, or is it just a permanent mental illness? I got my hormones checked and I had low testosterone, but I fixed that and it's high now with injections.
>>
>>16937908
Since you've got enough money, why not consider some therapy? It can work wonders.
>>
>>16937918
I don't want to wind up in a mental hospital though. Can't that also fuck up future job applications?
>>
File: image.jpg (143KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
143KB, 640x1136px
>>16937922
>therapy fucking up job applications?
Really OP? Therapy is always one hundred percent confidential Jesus dude
Also nobody's going to put you in a looney room for being shy for fucks sake
Legally, you can't be committed unless you're an obvious threat to yourself or somebody else
>>
>>16937908
>I get don't really get "anxiety", it's just extreme shyness
What's the distinction?
>>
>>16937935
Well I think of anxiety as in, let's say you have an assignment due in a few hours and you didn't even start...

Shyness for me is like, someone talks to me and all I want to do is disappear and not be looked at/noticed. I do feel some anxiety but that's not the main issue.
>>
>>16937908
>How do I overcome literally crippling shyness? I'm 18 now, almost 19, half way through my 2nd semester of college, never had a friend in my life except for one time when I was 8 because of it.
You start by recognizing that mere shyness is not crippling. I do not mean to question your statement about not having friends: I mean to tell you that you gave somwthing a lot more serious.

Talk to a therapist, or at least a counselor. You mentioned being in college: your campus health center should be able to help.

>I don't want to wind up in a mental hospital though.
They can't do that unless you're about to hurt yourself or someone else. It's forbidden by law. You haven't given any indication that you intend to hurt anyone. You are safe.

>Can't that also fuck up future job applications?
What field do you plan to work in? Very few employers are even allowed to ask about things like this. Most of the ones who do aren't actually interested in what conditions you have; the real goal is to screen out people who lie about them.

And even if you're interested in one of the very, very few fields where they might take an interest, they won't care about anything that could be mistaken for shyness. They're looking to weed out people with dangerous conditions, and yours doesn't sound dangerous.
>>
>>16937943
>You start by recognizing that mere shyness is not crippling.
Ok well what is then? Because whatever I have is crippling, or at least the feedback loop.

extreme shyness -> no friends + no life -> feel like shit, a loser, and that I am wasting my "life" -> repeat endlessly

every day I spend at least an hour or two lying in bed thinking about how shitty i am.

When I first started college, around 6 months ago, there was this system where for the first semester you would take all of your classes with the same ~30 people (obviously you would have the same classes). so people kept trying to talk to me and get to know me and shit, but i was such a fag because of the crippling shyness and I wound up brushing them off, sitting alone in the corner like a fag, etc..

I WANTED/WANT to get friends and shit, but the negative feeling from the shyness outweighs the desire to get friends and shit, it's that strong.
>>
>>16937938
That's anxiety lol
Jesus didn't you take psych 101 at some point? You have massive social anxiety and a therapist would be the best option
>>
>>16938957
oh i guess the first thing is stress and the 2nd is anxiety then lel. fuck.

i'm in psych 101 and we're just doing retarded shit about parts of the brain so far
>>
>>16938957
What could a therapist say that i cant just read on the internet? All i read is that therapists dont work
>>
> I have no idea why this is happening.

Something's going haywire in your internal risk calculation mechanism in your brain, and you're associating "speaking" with negative reactions too a too-harsh degree.

Solution: in your text chat in-game start saying stupid shit intentionally, and while doing so remind yourself that saying dumb stuff has little to no consequences. Rile people up. Get in an argument with someone. After some intentionally atypical stuff, start just saying whatever you want to say, be yourself, talk about your feelings to others (just, whatever, can be in-game relevant too). Repeat this for awhile, and after awhile you should loosen up in real-life too.
>>
>>16939726
It's not that bad in game, it just makes me feel a little bad that even random retards "don't think i'm good enough" to be there i guess, but i care much less since they are just random retards

What you're saying about the brain shit makes sense I guess. From what I'm googling though avoidant personality disorder is not curable though (besides of course killing myself right)
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.