[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>finally got associate's degree and my foot in the door

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

File: 1455691829752.png (576KB, 815x568px) Image search: [Google]
1455691829752.png
576KB, 815x568px
>finally got associate's degree and my foot in the door in a well-acclaimed university
>still not 100% sure on major
>university is also 2 hours from home, don't know anybody up there, and have no idea what the area is like (besides that it's a big college-city)
>family is utterly broke, 0 family support and I just don't have enough to support myself at all ($3.5k in the bank)
>relying completely on loans ($24k/yr, like need 4 years but at least 2)

Needless to say, I'm pretty scared to commit to university. Academically I'm confident, but there's so much money riding on the line if I decide to change my major again, that I'm lost.

Any advice on finding a major worth following-through with? That, and any advice for getting the most of campus life? I think I'll be staying off-campus alone.

Any general university advice/tips would be welcomed. Particularly in-terms of making money and being frugal, what should I look for for income (besides jobs, I mean what kind)?
>>
Bump

tl;dr how to survive at college, living-wise and socially
>>
Don't be a faggot and git gud at a marketable trade.
>>
File: Untitled.png (51KB, 974x972px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
51KB, 974x972px
Work the other way. Instead of choosing a major then trying to figure out what type of job you can get with it, look at the jobs you'd want to do then see what major/degree it requires.

Pic is from the Bureau of Labor Statistics for most new projected jobs.

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/most-new-jobs.htm

Also browse around this site and get a feel for what jobs/fields will be demand and which ones you have interest in.

http://www.bls.gov/bls/occupation.htm
>>
>>16935536
The best thing you could possibly do is something in the realm of computer science, accounting, electrical engineering, or information sciences/management
>>
File: 1453742131016.jpg (137KB, 605x568px) Image search: [Google]
1453742131016.jpg
137KB, 605x568px
OP here again, stupidly late but thank you for the replies

>>16936375
>>16936411
Thanks for those sites, interesting so far.

I've been trying to choose based on traits of a career that I like. Love computers, but have barely a year of programming experience (though I understand each concept easily). I can't stand desk jobs, which is my biggest problem in pursuing it.

I love the language aspects of it, which leads me towards translation/interpretation of languages I speak. Allows travel and is more varied than just deskwork (later in the career at least).

>>16936335
Is translating considered a marketable trade?
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.