[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who am I?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: whereismyidentity.png (716KB, 856x464px) Image search: [Google]
whereismyidentity.png
716KB, 856x464px
I would like to know the answer to this simple question.

Who am I? Who am I inside? What does my inner me want from life? What purpose is there for my life? By what morals, rules and standards should I abide to? What is good and bad, what do I want, what makes sense, what doesn't?

Recently I have been thinking about life and to this moment I believe I have been doing nothing but what others expect from me, or at the very least, projecting in myself something I see off cool in a propaganda, game, movie, something a family member expects from me, or whatever. "Be successful!"; "You should study engineering!" "Having this attitude is cool!". I've lived good part of my life chasing these ideals, being a copycat, and actually believing all of this bullshit.
It feels a bit like I'm a blank cavas who has been painted on by many different factors, and I'm not really myself.

I've been thinking about this a lot and I can't help but suppose that there's nothing as being yourself, people just are the result of the immediate envorinment, combined with their "original, primal self", as I'd like to put it. The result being what you see in the world, a lot of different people.

If anything, if one cannot find the answer to the question I ask here, I understand that he should pursue a hedonistic lifestyle, without any greater goals other than the immediate comfort and pleasure. After all, if you can't figure out the right thing to do with your life, then just try and take everything out of the material world, this is what I've been doing for some months now, but I can't get this thought - who am I? - out of my head.

So I need to ask if anyone can relate to this feeling that I have, if anyone has ever felt like it, and what did you do, I think I need help figuring out what to do with my life.

Even if I find out, how can I be sure I'm right? That this is it, this is the person I'm meant to be?

Picture very much related.
>>
File: Koala.jpg (763KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Koala.jpg
763KB, 1024x768px
>>16930646
tl;dr I couldn't suffer through all this bullshit so here's a picture of a koala.
>>
>>16930646
Read the Existentialists.

To grossly oversimplify, they say that there aren't any definitions you're born with, but that you are free to invent yourself.

If you decide you - not God or the church or anyone else, but you - want to be a moral person, you decide to be a moral person, and conduct your life morally because you have decided to. If you decide you want to be an engineer, you do what is necessary to become one. If you decide to be an off-grid spoon whittler, you act on your decision.

It is more complex than that, and more sophisticated and intellectually worked out. But essentially it is a philosophical basis for having the confidence to trust your own felings and ambitions.
>>
>>16930667
But my point exactly is how can I know these ambitions and feelings are really mine.
>>
>>16930698
It doesn't matter, as long as you make them yours and follow through because they've become yours.
>>
>>16930748
So I well could make the ambition of finding my true self without taking someone else's ambitions as mine as the ambition I will chase.

Now what?
>>
>>16930646
>Who am I?
NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS
>>
Whatever you enjoy doing and feel a drive towards defines you. Are you not interested in anything op?
>>
>>16930753
Huh? Then go find it you dumbass. Read some books. Find anything that interests you. Trial and error.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.