[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know this is gonna come off as bragging and you guys will just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

File: 1351116977336.jpg (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1351116977336.jpg
1MB, 1920x1200px
I know this is gonna come off as bragging and you guys will just go "well if you're so smart, then -" and so on, but please listen to me seriously.

How the hell am I supposed to live with being literally a genius? I'm the son of two parents, both with an IQ in the 140's, and I was raised with everything a child who needs to develop abstract thinking, intuition, and curiosity. I was taken on many travels and learned about the world, while given access to a library of books to plow my way through. As a result, my IQ is a measured 148, and my entire perspective of reality in a constant state of awe over the complexity and size of our universe while picking up every bit and piece of information I gather from everything, everywhere.

I pick up languages as I go. I see the solution to complicated problems in seconds. I learn the curriculum of an entire semester in a week. I naturally and fluently analyzed how socialization works, and have become the biggest smooth talker ever, with a massive network of acquaintances. In essence, I have the potential to take on the entire world, and I have absolutely no idea where to focus my attention. There are so many things that can be done, yet how do I decide on the few things that I want to spend my life on?
>>
I'd like actual advice on this as well. Also some help on how to reach people emotionally would be appreciated. I can't reach people. It seems only stabbing them would wake them up. But I don't know, I'm in a different boat than this "OP", that is a thing that's certain..
>>
>>16927996
It doesn't matter what you do, but if you want to have impact after you die, pick a problem and start solving it.
>>
>>16927996
#1 IQ means jack shit on an individual level

#2 you sound like you have an overly grandiose opinion of yourself and in actuality are probably average in intelligence.

#3 I too can pick up languages easily, find solutions (or rather, know the exact steps to follow to acquire a solution) quickly, and learn a semester's worth of material in about a week. But none of this makes me a special snowflake like you think you are
>>
>>16927996
It takes more than intelligence to be a genius. It's not even really the big defining factor: it's absolutely necessary, of course, but what makes you a genius is insight. You need intelligence to process your insights, of course, but if you don't have the insight to begin with, you're not a genius. You're just very smart.

I'm very smart: measured in the mid 140s, like yourself, with spikes up to 175 in certain specialties. But I am not a genius. I know this because I have the good fortune to know a genius, and there is simply no comparison. I suspect that I may actually outscore her on tests of raw IQ (though I'm not certain of that), but I don't even come close to matching her insights, especially in music, but in most other things too. And I'm okay with that. It took some getting used to: like you, I thought I might be on the edge of genius. Nope.

So, how do you live with"being literally a genius"? You find yourself some genii and start hanging out with them. Either you'll finally find people who understand you, or they'll disabuse you of any illusions of genius you might be harboring, likely without knowing it or even wanting to (stereotypes aside, there aren't a whole lot of asshole genii out there).
>>
Dear Maria, Do Not Count Me In.
>>
>>16927996
Humankind would worship you if you made nuclear fusion a feasible energy source.
>>
Bureaucracy!
>>
>>16927996
If any of what you posted were true you wouldn't have posted on fucking 4chan, on /adv/ no less, you would be on the MENSA forums. Seek attention elsewhere son.
>>
>>16927996
The humblebrag is out of control. Fuck off dude.
>>
>>16927996
>I learn the curriculum of an entire semester in a week
See I believed you up to this point. I've met geniuses, hell I work with geniuses on a daily basis. I and all my closest friends have an IQ of 140 or above. None of us can do this.
This also ignores that the greatest thinkers throughout history haven't been able to learn a modern university semester's worth of material in a week.
>>
>>16928721

Do you think he just places his hand on physical objects and extract whatever wisdom and knowledge that is imbued within them?
>>
>>16928729
To actually learn a semester's worth of advanced mathematics or science in a week, that's what it would take.
I could see getting down humanities courses in a week since it's all just application of things you learn throughout your high school, but anything more is complete bullshit.
>>
>>16927996
Your IQ clearly isn't doing jack shit for you if you're still posting for advice on 4chan. Also you sound young.

If this is Alex, gtfo the house and stop being a NEET.
>>
>>16928721
depends on the class. I'm not OP but at my college most of the classes are pretty lax and I feel that if I wanted to, I could probably learn the material in a week or two. Mostly it would just be too stressful to work that hard though

>>16927996
become the next elon musk
>>
>>16927996

Stop playing Mass Effect, I felt like I was reading a Sovereign quote..
>>
>>16928746

"I feel that if I wanted to, I could probably learn the material in a week or two"

"Too stressful to work that hard"

Yeah... I'm sure you could learn the material in a week- or two..
>>
>>16928751
You don't have to believe me, I'm just saying that the material in a lot of these colleges is a lot less dense and easier to learn than you might think. It's not as much to do with mine or anyone else's intelligence as with the quality of classes. Maybe if you're taking a really challenging major, it actually deserves the full semester.
>>
Same way you figure out anything else. Observe stuff, start poking at it, analyze the results, make considerations, adjust as needed, and repeat. You'll know when you find what sticks *when* it starts sticking, not before. Expect to fail numerous times along the way. Take inspiration from it, not discouragement. It's just part of the process. Go try stuff. Try what interests you. Try what seems like it never could. Try whatever. No need to get overwhelmed or disoriented at this early stage. You'll be fine. Go go go.
>>
>>16928780
Unless your studying something in liberal arts, music, art, criminal justice, the SJW pseudofields, or history, then there is no way anyone could memorize an entire semester's worth of material in a week.
>>
>>16927996

Science
>>
>>16927996
You should be focusing on helping to solve the world's energy crisis, and improving birth control.
>>
>>16927996
You're here asking us dummies for advice, so you aren't as smart as you think, shithead.
>>
Use that intuition you're bragging about lel

Seriously, do what makes you happy, what you think is right.

I've always looked at my goals of what I want to do w my life is 1. Something that i can enjoy, I don't want to wake up every morning miserable and hating life 2. I want to help others because I believe in reincarnation through the food chain and whatnot, and that we are all connected and part of something larger, and in essence were all the same but raised in different environments. Also, if we're ever to survive and continue advancing as a race we need to learn to work together.

I'll be happy if I can leave a little dent of positive impact on the world by my time to go. If you can do more? Great! No one can tell you exactly what you need to do except yourself, but those should be some decent guidelines to start with I'd say
>>
Its very easy to think you can do anything if you do nothing at the same time.
>>
>>16928721
Idk, you can learn calc 101 in a week pretty easily. Really most intro classes can be learned in a week. OP probably just needs to get to some more advanced shit.
>>
Um just pursue whatever you enjoy I guess. Pick a few things you like and work towards them, or just do whatever the fuck you feel like as long as it makes you happy and leads you to a viable way of living.
>>
>>16927996 I wrote you quite a long thing on my own hobbies, but lot it. Here's the gist of it: music, art, writing, cooking, computers. I thought maybe you could apply language to cultural study.
>>
>>16928751
I passed chemistry even though I only went to the first class and never studied except the day before and day of the tests. There were only like four tests so I probably learned everything in a week. I think standards for classes have really fallen these days. They just gave everyone all of the equations and conversions and shit and as long as you understand the basic principles behind the chemistry you can just figure out the answer by selecting the correct equation and plugging in the numbers.
>>
Well if what you are actually saying is true, then it is your intelligence which is the problem. I went to school with a fair few kids that were very smart, but they knew so much they didn't know where to apply their knowledge or skills. I'm currently in my last semester of college and it seems that these kids still haven't come close to finishing their degree, let alone picking one that is actually suited to what they want to do. Personally, it might sound stupid but you need to dumb yourself down. I think only then you will find something that will stand out from the science, maths, tech, business etc. fields. Stop thinking about your intelligence, or how good you are with everything. Sit down and read some stuff from those categories and see which you enjoy reading the most.
>>
>>16929088
>Idk, you can learn calc 101 in a week pretty easily.
This is just wrong if you're only being exposed to calculus for the first time. It seems a hell of a lot easier looking back than it does actually doing the material.
>>
>>16927996
Genius is a relative term and holds no significance to your question but it does speak to your upbringing. Being groomed for intelligence has left you seeking constant approval for your abilities. There are many others that are just as confused as you are. In your case you're defining yourself by your cleverness. You need to find out who you are and not let acuity define you. Focus on whatever it is that you currently feel like doing. Live your life the way you want to without harming others. It will all fall into place.
>>
My IQ tested in the 170s once, but I found where the test makers had erred, and so they threw it out. I typically test out more in the 190-200 zone.

I get where you're coming from OP.
To put it simply: Ignorance is bliss. If your father was a shoemaker, you followed in his footsteps making shoes and lived happily ever after.
Getting an actual education expose you to the extent of your ignorance. The secret is not to get overwhelmed by it. The more you learn, the more you discover that you don't know, until finally you realize that you could spend your entire life devoted to studying one subject and still not learn all there is to know about that one thing. After 40 years studying the peanut, you realize how much you missed out on while you focused on one subject, and while it was nice being respected as an authority on a topic, you die knowing that in 30 lifetimes you still wouldn't have discovered everything that there is to know about peanuts.
Average people are spared this pain. That 14 year old who thinks he knows everything, is blissfully happy.

I can't tell you what to do with your life. Try making shoes for a while.
>>
>>16927996

First off, 150 IQ doesn't really make you a genius. Remember every generic "smart kid" in all those classes back in school? About half of them probably had comparable scores, it's good but not really that uncommon.

Second, do you know what you enjoy? Not what you're good at but what actually makes you happy to do. If yes, focus on that. If no, do more things and pay attention to how they make you feel. You're probably smart enough to realize that nothing you do will last so prioritize your experience in this life rather than your works.

Third, statistically it's more likely that you'll end up depressed and less likely that therapy will help in any way. So watch out for that?
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.