[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth staying in college for computer science? I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Lamborghini-Countach.jpg (1MB, 2808x1680px) Image search: [Google]
Lamborghini-Countach.jpg
1MB, 2808x1680px
Is it worth staying in college for computer science? I've been in a year and haven't touched a computer in class other than to use it for word or powerpoint. I won't have a real CS class for another year. Truthfully I don't even know what I'll be able to do with the degree when I graduate.

I have a part time job that has nothing to do with my major and it feels like I'm just wasting my time there and in school. It's like my life is going nowhere.

Am I better off dropping out and getting some kind of certification? Which ones are worth looking into?
>>
>>16583877
im not in much of a position to give you advice since i failed out of college but since no one is replying..

your in school for a bachelor's in computer science correct? if yes a degree definitely helps in getting jobs in programming or it.

you can work on programming side projects which can show future employers your skills and expertise
>>
>>16583971
Is it better than getting some form of CS like certifications though?

I don't know the first thing about programming. My classes are getting in the way of me learning things I'm actually interested in, ironically.
>>
>>16583996
ask your school's career councilor
you could take a semester off and figure out your next step

you've only been in for a year so its not to late to switch to another program

what id give to be in your position..
>>
>>16584029
I'm 27. I went to college when I was 18 and failed everything because high school was over and I didn't want to see the inside of a classroom ever again. I'd like to do something with my life as quickly as possible.
>>
>>16584039
not everyone is cutout for school, lacking motivation? could instead go into trades or heck even a factory job and live life
>>
>>16584061
I already have no money and a job I hate I'd like to get past that.
>>
>>16584096
well life's not so easy, i failed out of college because im a moron who had zero motivation and now am paying the price

im few years younger than u, 22 but im looking for work and am planning on working in trades as an electrician or hell if nothing is available i will work in a factory and live my life or just kill myself
>>
only if you want to be a software dev

I recently finished my 4 year in CS and I'm making 72k in a relatively low cost of living area. Work from home, too. It's pretty nice.
>>
>>16584578
Did you have to do much research outside of your classes or did they teach you everything you needed to know for the job?
>>
>>16584601
no. classes are only fundamentals (which are still extremely important, but just the very base line knowledge). you learn most of your marketable skills during the job.
>>
People want degrees more than they want certs.

What they really want, though, is a body of work.
If I were you, I'd start trying to learn some basic coding on my own, and eventually start coding my own stuff. Do as much projects as you reasonably can before you graduate, so people know you know your shit.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.