[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do I have a case against this speeding ticket?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 1

File: Speeding-Ticket[1].jpg (204KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
Speeding-Ticket[1].jpg
204KB, 1200x800px
So I got a speeding ticket today. I was driving 61 in a 45 MPH zone on a local highway...Kind of a lame way to get one's first speeding ticket, imo. Cop was in a weird place, so he caught me and pulled me over.

However, on the ticket the cop wrote that I was doing 61 in a 40, which was totally wrong. Signs everywhere said 45, even the one he was posted near. I am considering fighting the ticket on those grounds.

Will this work? How should I go about this? I have no experience with court/cops/tickets.
>>
It might. The very first thing you need to find out are the administrative/"court" fees associated with fighting a ticket in traffic court. You might come to find out that winning still costs a lot of money.
>>
>I was only going 16 mph over the speed limit, instead of 21 mph, so I shouldn't have to pay the ticket

You're an idiot and deserve everything you get. You were still speeding, you still got caught, and you should still pay the fine.
>>
I have no idea about the laws in your area and shit, but I doubt you'd achieve anything by fighting it. The fine shouldn't be that heavy anyway, just pay it and save yourself a headache.
>>
>>16579907
At what point did you prove that you weren't speeding?
>>
>>16579912
It's just that the cop was absentminded enough to give an improper ticket. People fight shit like this all the time when cops give wrong info.
>>
>>16579912
This, you still have to pay
>>
>>16579915
For what it's worth, lots of cities and towns structure their speeding penalties in ranges of 5 mph above the limit, e.g. 1-5, 6-10, etc. There might well be a huge difference in terms of fine, license points and other fees (perhaps even from his insurance provider, especially if he has other tickets) if he crosses into the 20+ mph range.
>>
>>16579912
Depending on the jurisdiction, that cop just significantly altered how much he has to pay- maybe even altered the type of infraction it is. Don't just take it op.
>>
>>16579923
This guy knows what's up
>>
>>16579911
You actually pay those on your ticket anyway whether you go to court or not.
>>
>>16579920
That's not how things work.

Technicalities can get people out of things. At the very least, it's likely to lower the fine.
>>
>>16579973
There are many places which have an additional fee tacked on for pleading not guilty.

If you don't fight your ticket, you pay what's written on the citation. If you fight and lose, you pay that PLUS court costs. If you fight and win, you still pay court costs. I don't know what you're thinking of, but it's something different than what I'm talking about.
>>
>>16579978
I live in Iowa, so it may be different in other states, but court costs are included in a ticket here.

I've fought two tickets and paid no additional fees. Although that was 10 years ago, so I guess it may have changed.
>>
>>16579991
Might have changed. It could also be that Iowa (or just the places you've lived in Iowa) don't charge those appearance fees. The wide variation is why finding out the policies in one's own situation is a good first step. If you get out of $50 on the ticket but pay $60 for appearing...
>>
>>16579999
Yeah, op should doggie that out wherever he lives.

But paying $60 to get out of a $50 ticket could save him more in insurance. Especially in this situation where it's the difference of going 20 over and going 15 over. I think op should fight it even if for nothing more than getting that changed.
>>
>>16580010
>doggie
Interesting auto correct...

Meant "figure."
>>
In MN, you pay for how many mph over the limit you were driving. So the fine for going 16 over is less then 21. My wife got a ticket in MO and I think it's the same there.

Obviously I doubt you will get out of it but if I were you I would make sure it's corrected so you don't pay more then you should.
>>
>>16580010
And there we go, 40 minutes later we get the final summary for all the good feedback. /thread
>>
>>16579977
Lol sure kid. Enjoy getting your shit packed in at court.
>>
>>16580044
Enjoy being willfully ignorant of the legal system.
>>
>>16579912
>>16579922
Depending on where you are, that 5 MPH can be the difference between two different levels of crime. I'd honestly go in hoping to pay 16 instead of 21 and just explain it that way, although I've never had that particular opportunity myself.

Either way, don't pretend like you did nothing wrong. Judges appreciate honesty and brevity, and will reduce what you pay in a heartbeat.
>>
>>16580052
>I can get off on a technicality!
>I don't know what that technicality is or how to use it!
Have fun!
>>
>>16579977

Yes, they can, but this isn't one of those circumstances. OP may get a reduction of fees on his ticket, but this alone isn't enough to get him out of a ticket.

However, OP, if you have more credible information about the cop not paying attention and not knowing what he's doing, then you may have a shot at saying "He wasn't paying attention, he didn't even know the speed limit, none of this is valid", but its unlikely.
>>
>>16580078
Are you purposely being an idiot?

All I said was that people get off on technicalities all the time. My friend has gotten out of a ticket because he wrote the license plate down wrong. I've also gotten out of one because the officer didn't show up to court.

Op should look into it because he might have a chance.

What the fuck are you even going on about besides looking like an idiot?
>>
>>16580096
>What the fuck are you even going on about besides looking like an idiot?
Intentionally pulling you into an argument online. That's the other thing he's doing besides looking like an idiot.
>>
>>16580096
Because you're a blithering idiot. He caught you speeding. Writing down the wrong license plate means you could have been misidentified. Not showing up to court means he didn't give a shit (or the system didn't). Mistaking the speed limit by five miles per hour is not grounds to somehow negate the fact that you were speeding. Proving his incompetence will be difficult because he correctly identified the speed you were going. No judge is going to throw this case out over that. At worst they'll get stuck with reducing your fine.

Better hope he doesn't show up to this one, then. Faggot.
>>
>>16580098
Good point. Successful trolling I suppose.

>>16580106
I'm not op.
>>
>>16580127
You're arguing for him, though. Its alright. We'll never know the conclusion to this story because OP will get slapped with a fine and be too booty bothered to ever post about it.
>>
>>16579912
Literally this.

We have to share the road with idiots like you so pretty please drive the fucking limit.
>>
>>16580149
He shouldn't have to pay a higher fine than what he was going.
>>
You need to contest the ticket most times another between 16+ over can be considered reckless driving which is no longer an infraction but a misdemeanor. Contact a lawyer immediately, they are fairly cheap and could save you a lot in the long run.
>>
>>16580044
ayyy
>>16580052
>Enjoy being willfully ignorant of the legal system.
lmao
>>
>>16580149
There are stretches of highway that could easily be 55 mph zones safely that are 45 and people regularly drive 60 on. Some places have unreasonable speed limits.
I fully support you OP unlike these boot licking mother fuckers that block the road making sure they go exactly the limit.
>>
>>16580387
>Implying I don't drive 20+ over at all times
>Implying I don't think OP is fucking retarded
>>
>>16579907
lf he wrote part of it wrong, that is what he has to testify to.

Whatever he wrote is what he is bound to. TechnicaIIy the faIse info is proof of the uncertainty of the situation as he is testifying against you for 61 in 40. He HAS TO testify to this.

lf you provide evidence that you were in a 45, then you were NOT going 61 in a 40, so what he is testifying to is NOT TRUE. He can't change it now and he can't do anything about making it a charge against you at 61 in a 45 because the charge was aIready made.

They're just going to keep trying to get you to say you were going above the Iimit to get your voice on the trans script to basicaIIy have you screw yourseIf over but that's about aII they can try now.

Look it up IocaIIy but that's universaI throughout the country. There's no way for them to bypass this. You got Iucky.
>>
>>16580149

In case any of you were wondering, this is how it went down, because I am not an asshole driver, and some people are erroneously calling me out for being a dick...So this is how it went down:

There is a stretch of highway in my area where the highway suddenly changes from 55 to 45 when you go from one town to another. I was initially on the 55 MPH highway, cruising in the right lane around 60 MPH.

I suppose I wasn't paying attention, but of course I ended up in the 45 area at the same speed, and eventually got pulled over. Thank you >>16580387 . That's exactly what I'm talking about.

I didn't think I would get any shit for this. I mean, it was 61 on a highway for fucks sake. I didn't come in here saying "yeah i was doin 90 in a 55." Now that's reckless, and I don't drive like that. This was my first time even being pulled over.

I simply believe that what I was doing was not unreasonable. That's why I want to get out of it if I can, because I feel I just got unlucky. People drive much, much faster on that road.
>>
>>16580450
the changes in speed on those roads are for safety reasons, so yes, you are an asshole driver. If you are aware that the limit changes, there is no reason to not be aware of WHERE the limit is different.

Enjoy wasting your time in court.
>>
>>16580470
It's debatable whether or not speed equals safety. I'm pretty sure the autobahn is one of the safest roads in the world.
>>
>>16580470
He's a reguIar driver, you're just mad you don't have a car.

Enjoying wasting your Iife here IoI
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.