[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to become a well-read person, but reading is unbelievably

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1442677706176.png (88KB, 385x405px) Image search: [Google]
1442677706176.png
88KB, 385x405px
I want to become a well-read person, but reading is unbelievably displeasurable. Maybe the schools conditioned me to feel that way, I don't know.
Also reading takes too much time. After 3 hours i'll have read 150 pages and wondered how many video games or music I could have consumed in that time.

What should I do?
>>
Seriously, what are you reading? You shouldn't have to force yourself. It's fun and relaxing.
>>
>>16573462
Ideological novels are shit anyway. The most condecending way of getting your point across. You always get the point by the 3rd chapter and feel like a fucking asshole for the author babbying you into their opinion with their stupid allegory. I'm talking about books like catcher in the rye or 1984 or atlas shrugged.

Read what's interesting and exciting. Like Jurrassic Park. It still has phisophical questions like "who are we to play god and fuck with dna" and is essentially Frankenstein 2.0. But at least you don't have to force yourself through a lame ass book just to say you read it.

John Locke > Voltaire
>>
>>16573479
Huckleberry Finn seemed like a good place to start.
>>
>>16573492
Boring as fuck fampai. Bunch of stupid allegories haphazardly thrown together. We get it, slavery is wrong. Hetfields and McCoy's. The south. Wow, so deep.

Read some fun pulps like westerns. I read a book called 47th Samurai that was a fun ride, no stupid philisophical gay shit thrown in. Just action.
>>
Read biographies
>>
Try audiobooks.
>>
>>16573492
Go to a bookstore. Find a book that has a neat cover or an enticing description; it doesn't matter if it's genre fiction or smut or whatever. Just find something that looks cool and read it, once you enjoy reading you can become well read.
Also audiobooks.
>>
>3 hours to read 150 pages
Lol
>>
Give Discworld and Terry Pratchett a try.
>>
>>16573462
What is "well read", and why should anyone want to be "well read"?

It seems to me you haven't answered these questions in a way that has convinced your brain to let you enjoy doing the reading.
>>
>>16573491
Who the fuck recreationally reads Ayn Rand? Anyone who's read Atlas Shrugged either had to for school or is a snob who wants the ability to say they know about some crazy Russian woman's joke of a sociological system. If you want to learn about objectivism just play Bioshock 1.
>>
>>16575148
You know, there is a reason they say that you can't judge a book by its cover
>>
>>16573462
Why do you want to be "well read"? Are you interest in particular themes? Or do you think people will find you more interesting if you are?

>>16573500
>>16573491
You're an idiot. Philosophy and literature are not things one should dabble in lightly, because that's called being a fucking pseudo-intellectual prick, interested only in showing off.

>ayyy forget the most entry level good books
>forget good books in general
>go read steaming piles of shit instead lmao

Reading low brow is fine, if that's what you enjoy. If you don't enjoy reading and really just want to give off the impression that you do, it's stupid as shit to go with such books, not to mention a waste of time that could be spent on more pleasant activities.
>>
>>16575583
They aren't even good, and who are they to think they know more than you to the point of writing you a nursery rhyme to teach you a lesson.

Again, John Locke > Voltaire. They had a very similar message, but Locke actually respected his audience and wasn't up his own ass.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.