[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need opinions on ADD treatment/psychatrist

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: help.jpg (6KB, 276x126px) Image search: [Google]
help.jpg
6KB, 276x126px
I've been diagnosed and treated by a psychatrist for ADD for several years, but I would like to know if this is a typical treatment/relationship.

At the beginning, we were trying out different forms of medication and finally settled on dexamphetamine (which still has some side effects, but they aren't too bad). It's a legal requirement to go for sessions to get more scripts, but since then, all the sessions have felt like a waste of time.

The sessions typically start off with a quick re-cap of what we talked about the last time and how I'm doing now. After that, the psychatrist focuses on my side effects, and usually mentions several other medication that he thinks I can try, but these medications are VERY expensive, and I can't afford them as a university student. He always seems annoyed whenever I bring up the financial issue, and has asked me on several occasions if I can get the money elsewhere (through my family, etc).

He then moves on to talk about counselling and has mentioned several times that he wants me to see some psychologists for counselling. I did some research, and they are pretty expensive and not covered by my insurance, but he keeps pushing me to try it. Again, he seems annoyed everytime I bring up finances.

I'm not sure if this is a typical treatment plan. So far the only treatment i've gotten is the medication, and the psychatrist hasn't given me any counselling at all (which i thought was part of the standard treatment process). What is supposed to be happening in these sessions? I keep getting the feeling he's trying to sell me on more medication or refer me to psychologists elsewhere.

continued
>>
>>16571568
I missed an appointment with the psychatrist recently (had accomodation issues, so I had to find another place to stay REALLY quick). Spoke to him over the phone today and he was REALLY annoyed, he kept mentioning stuff like the contract we signed, a cancellation fee, that he wasn't interested in apologies, etc. He kept using phrases like "you knew what you were getting into when you signed it" and "it's part of your contract to pay me a cancellation fee if you miss an appointment".

I didn't even get a chance to explain because he interrupted me mid-sentence when I tried. He only calmed down and agreed to schedule another appointment with me when I told him I would pay the cancellation fee, but refused to give me another script till the appointment several months later, citing it as a legal requirement (fair enough).

I'm kind of put off about all this and would like to know if this is pretty typical?

I can't easily switch psychatrists either, because the one i'm seeing is at the university clinic which is one of the only places that my insurance will cover at a 100% rate (bulk billing system in Australia for those familiar with it). There's only one other psychatrist there, and the one time I saw her to get a second opinion on something, she spent most of the appointment making me recount the whole story starting from when I was diagnosed with ADD, and then spent the remaining time shrugging and saying "I don't know" to every question...
>>
>>16571571
Jesus christ. Wtf is this shit?
I live in Norway, but I don't see anyone anymore. I text when I need a new prescription. It was like that for about a year. Then I met him after a year and now I can't remember last time I met him.

But it might be differences because of country or whatever. Dunno.
>>
>>16571571

Some psychiatrists are good people who actually care about their patients and prioritize your well-being. Some psychiatrists are assholes who really just want to wring money out of you and don't give a fuck about you. Go with your gut.
>>
>>16571628
>>
>>16571568
It sounds like his treatment plan for you is standard and appropriate, but his "bedside manner" stinks. He's giving you good professional advice, but in a clumsy, off-putting and unsympathetic way.

Don't confuse his personality with his professionalism. If you can try to follow his suggestions and ignore his personality, do it.

If not, even within the university system, you should be able to transfer to another shrink. Just go to the head of the service and say "Our personalities don't mesh, and it is hurting my treatment".
>>
>>16571845
oh i can transfer, its just that the other shrink at the university clinic sucks as well.
>>
>>16571873
>>
>>16571975
>>
>>16572792
>>
>>16573059
>>
>>16571568
If you don't feel like you need therapy don't do it, it won't help your ADD directly. Yes, what he's doing is more typical. You could also try nootropics which is what I'm doing right now. If I were you I'd research /r/nootropics to find the right combo for ADD that suites you. This is what I'm doing until the new meds drop in the US (MDX, Dasotraline, Shire 16 hour Adderal).
>>
>>16571568
im speaking from experiance here. google adult with ADD/ADHD i have it.
medications only really work in adolesants(kids)
you will be like this for the rest of your life.
you have one thing a lot of people dont: hyper-focus where if have your mind fixated on something you develop all your time and energy to it
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.