[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should you be honest with your therapist and tell them you've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: halcyon-digest.jpg (62KB, 600x592px) Image search: [Google]
halcyon-digest.jpg
62KB, 600x592px
Should you be honest with your therapist and tell them you've had homicidal thoughts?

I've told a psychiatrist I had suicidal thoughts for awhile and one night he called the cops and an ambulance to bring me to a hospital.

What would happen if I told them I had homicidal thoughts? Would I just get locked away in a hospital again?
>>
>>16547173
Fasho, don't keep that to yourself.

Therapists operated just the same as doctors do, patient confidentiality is still in effect. They would probably begin to ask you more question in depth but this is most likely for your own good.

If you've been in hospitals before they may admit you, but I doubt it. I don't think they can put you away for simply having "thoughts."

What do you think about anyways senpai
>>
>>16547215
I've been thinking about going to therapy after being out of it for about 9 months. These past 9 months have really sucked honestly. I've almost lost my job multiple times and just been a total recluse for the most part. Absolutely miserable. Figured I might try therapy and getting help again for the hell of it.

As far as thoughts, I don't really want to get into it but I sometimes have quick thoughts that come in and dreams as well.
>>
>>16547247
This is an extremely good move, taking the initiative to deal with your problems is not something everyone does.

Again, I should stress that telling your therapist is the right way to go. Holding onto these thoughts can not be doing good for your physically/emotionally. Tell them!
>>
>>16547257
I haven't had much luck with therapists in the past. Been with about 5 of them. All women, usually younger who probably just got out of college not too long ago.

Never really connected with any of them so that's why I've had so much apprehension going back and trying again.

The psychiatrists I've had haven't been the greatest either.
>>
>>16547286
Hmm maybe consider someone a little older? surely you can change a psychiatrist if things aren't working.

Keep up with therapy Anon! its a very good idea, are you on any sort of medication?
>>
>>16547300
No, I was on a bunch of medications before but I stopped taking them after I stopped going to therapy.
>>
>>16547215
You realize patient doctor confidentiality stops if they learn that you're going to hurt someone? Im pretty sure I f he tells them he has homicidal thoughts his therapist is supposed to inform the authorities.
>>
>>16547173
I haven't even told my therapist about my suicide attempt.

And I plan to lie the next session about my academic life.

I just feel ashamed of admitting the truth.
>>
>>16547351
I don't think so mate, he's only having thoughts. A therapist wouldn't call the police, but I'm sure they would hold you under watch or care for 24 hrs
>>
>>16547351
Overall, I think it depends on whether you tell them you'll act on the thoughts.

When I told my therapist about my suicidal thoughts, I just told her they were thoughts and I wouldn't act on them. Over time, as they became more dire and I didn't really have much control over them, that's when they made me go to the hospital.

I'd imagine it's the same way with homicidal thoughts.
>>
has therapy worked for anyone here? I went to therapy for over a decade and eventually I realized it hadn't done shit. I had exactly the same problems I had when I started a decade ago.
>>
>>16547410
Sometimes I say it really just doesn't work for some people, but other times I think it really depends on the person and how much work they put into it.
>>
>>16547410
I've been in therapy for a year. Before I was close to insanity, now I feel overall more relaxed.
My therapist is pretty much the only person I talk to.
>>
I did some spice at a party and later had some homicidal thoughts about this couple watching a movie upstairs (the whole party and everyone else was downstairs). I see a psychiatrist because I was diagnosed with Schizo Affective disorder. I haven't told him about anything about it.
>>
>>16547173
Thoughts and ideation are different from making plans. Plenty of people think about it and tell their therapists all the time without any adverse or unnecessary repercussions. I would talk about your thoughts with your therapist.
>>
File: yuuka.jpg (261KB, 850x850px) Image search: [Google]
yuuka.jpg
261KB, 850x850px
Not unless you want involuntary commitment senpai. Wait till you actually trust/know your doc isn't a shithead who will call the cops on you behind your back during your next appointment.
>>
File: 1428284769447.jpg (228KB, 1098x735px) Image search: [Google]
1428284769447.jpg
228KB, 1098x735px
>>16547286

If you're a man, get a male psych. No matter what you will never get a female shrink to really understand you.
>>
My method:
Whenever talking about being suicidal I always include "But I'd never do it." (Even if I think I might) refer to them as 'intrusive thoughts' and say that having them scares you and you wish you didn't.
I go on about friends and family talking about how sometimes it feels like I'm only going on to make sure they don't feel bad. I say, "Whatever keeps me going until the sun rises again, eh?" with a sad smile.

Never EVER get into specifics about plans. Never say, "I walk by the train tracks and just stare at them, thinking how easy it would be to jump in front" No. That can be translated as intent and as a danger to yourself.

I'm sure most of this can be translated into homicidal thoughts. Just keep saying that you would never ever actually do it and that it's just thoughts that keep you up at night. Intrusive thoughts. Thoughts you don't like.

They have to be reasonably concerned that you're actually gonna do it.

What were he circumstances that led your doc to call the cops the first time? What did you say?
>>
Never be honest with your therapist.

They will string your dumb ass up and feed you to the dogs for any mention of shit like that.

>>16547215

This nigga is WRONG as FUCK.
>>
>>16547923
I told them I started having urges to speed and then crash. Lots of times when I was driving I just didn't give a shit anymore and started driving recklessly.
>>
>>16548120
Yeah, definitely should have thrown a "but I'd never do that" in there. And should have lied about actually driving recklessly. That's especially scary for them since it involves other people.

Describe it as fantasy. How you imagine going fast and not paying attention to other drivers, but include that you're too worried about other people on the road to really do much differently.
>>
>>16548225
I don't really have urges to crash or drive recklessly like that now. Mainly just have suicidal thoughts involving an exit bag or hanging, with some homicidal thoughts and self-harm urges thrown in there.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.