[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here a Dr or a programmer? I am 19 about to drop out

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: mask14.jpg (34KB, 584x315px) Image search: [Google]
mask14.jpg
34KB, 584x315px
Anyone here a Dr or a programmer?

I am 19 about to drop out of community college to save up some money for a car and my own place.

I am married so I can no longer live with my mother.

I find huge interest in the medical field but I also like technology and detective type stuff. I wanted to seek becoming a Dr but I do not know if I have the brains for it.

Can any Dr's or successful anon's give me some output?
>>
become a cop, suck a lot of dick and look good for 3 years, become a murder police

there now your detectin
>>
>>16546775
what the fuck
>>
>>16546767

OP
if you go doctor then becoming Forensic Pathologist would be great
>>
>>16546778
>Forensic Pathologist
now that sounds something I would enjoy.

any more ideas? I was thinking of being a lawyer but I read that it's not all that exciting.

I am into Social Engineering shit and going after con-man or serial killers.
>>
>>16546776
well you sure aren't going to get a medical type job by dropping out of college you fucking ape

and im sure as shit sure you're not going to learn to program on your own because your dropping out of community college

you sound like a friend i have, he's still rambling on about "starting his programming business" after a child and a kid while he does jack shit in a factory
>>
>>16546788
I plan on going back once I have my own place ect..
>>
>>16546808

That's what everyone who drops out of college says. The fact is the longer you wait, it is generally harder to go to college as once you are on your own you become responsible for rent or paying your mortgage this means you have to work. Working full time and going to college is a terrible experience, especially if you are trying to do something like be a doctor.

Coding is pretty easy to do and pays well, I'm graduating with a cs degree and about to make 57k. I have friends who also graduated and are making around 45-70k. Keep in mind this is in Texas so your mileage may vary elsewhere.

I really think you should go to college now rather than later and once you've moved out. Coding is simply logic by the way anon. You did it right now when you typed your message. Basically giving the computer a list of very specific instructions to execute in a specific order(unless we start getting into threads but you wont learn that until a little bit later on)
>>
>>16546808
thats what my friend said too, said he was dropping out to get some money and move out of his parents and he's going to go back to finish his degree

know what he actually did? got a full time job, quit his job , got one in construction, got laid off, got his girlfriend pregnant, panicked for months struggling to find another job, finally found a seasonal job which he won't keep because he's not the greatest worker and now all he does is complain and try to get laid because his girlfriend left him

if you think im being to hostile than listen to the person above me
>>
>>16546866
but.. I am married. My wife has like a year left to get her teaching certificate.
>>
bump

what is /adv/ thoughts on vocational school?
>>
>>16546767
Programming is easy. Good programmers are lazy people who try to get computers to automate everything they do. The money is a nice six figures, but doesn't compare to the prestige or salary you get as a doctor.
>>
>>16547526
well yeah but med school is expensive and all and it takes more schooling comapred to programmers
>>
File: Mvzj4Mc.gif (3MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
Mvzj4Mc.gif
3MB, 320x180px
Become a web developer. HTML, CSS, and Javascript are not very hard to learn. It's pretty easy to get a job and most companies are cool to work for. Even if it's not web design specifically, this still applies to most programming jobs, and there are opportunities to work from home.
>>
>>16547581
wouldn't I need a certificate of some sort? I took web design in HS and did really good.
>>
>>16547595
>did really good.
Well, you certainly have the writing ability of a doctor of programmer.

I just finished (well, 7 months ago) med school when my undergrad program was biomedical engineering. Med school is a lot of memorization. Think of it is as organic chemistry writ large. Once you understand and memorize the nomenclature, it is a lot easier. Until then it can be a struggle. The only real programming I've done outside of high school was C# and matlab, so I can't offer much advice there. Anybody can be a doctor in the way that anybody can be a great carpenter. It's just a time investment.

As far as working and going to school, it can be rough. Between my undergraduate years and finishing medical school I worked an as engineer at an electric car company. I worked 80 hour weeks and there was absolutely no way to go to school. With 32 hours a week at a casual engineering firm, it was relatively easy to participate and flourish in med school. It depends on how much of your social life and personal time you're willing to sacrifice.

The best advice I can give is to continue making forward progress, even if it's in a different field than you set off towards at first. Perhaps try one of these things and see if it's for you. Evaluate from there if you want to pursue it. Don't use this as an excuse to never dive more than surface deep, though.
>>
>>16546837

>Coding is pretty easy to do and pays well, I'm graduating with a cs degree and about to make 57k. I have friends who also graduated and are making around 45-70k. Keep in mind this is in Texas so your mileage may vary elsewhere.

Austin is one of the best markets in the country.

>>16547260
>>16547501

All your choices are random as fuck. Do you even understand what medical school entails.

Also
>19
>married

Shiggy diggy.

>>16547581

I am yet to meet a pure web dev.

> I worked 80 hour weeks and there was absolutely no way to go to school.

I am yet to meet a single person who claims to have worked 80 hours a week that actually worked 80 hours a week. At least at a "professional" job.
>>
>>16547639
I do not plan on stopping school. I just plan on taking less classes and work full time. I am married and living with my mother can be bothersome. My wife and I have talked about moving out and renting a room to a friend or a couple and share the expenses.
>>
>>16547656
>I am yet to meet a single person who claims to have worked 80 hours a week that actually worked 80 hours a week. At least at a "professional" job.
I worked as a supplier quality engineer (before moving to purchasing) at Tesla for a year and a half and regularly put in more than 80 hours a week. I'm not sure what you qualify as a "professional" job though.

As a side note, "I am yet" makes no sense. You should phrase it "I have yet" instead.
>>
>>16547669

>As a side note, "I am yet" makes no sense. You should phrase it "I have yet" instead.

https://www.englishforums.com/English/Versus/djxxm/post.htm

Not seeing a consensus. Source me.

>I worked as a supplier quality engineer (before moving to purchasing) at Tesla for a year and a half and regularly put in more than 80 hours a week. I'm not sure what you qualify as a "professional" job though.

What's a "supplier quality engineer"? Haha, I am almost tempted to believe you because Musk keeps crying about how his rockets blow up because of shit suppliers.

Anyway, again, as far as I am concerned, you are utterly full of shit. I have worked 16 hour days before, but not on any consistent basis. Claiming to work 12 hours EVERY day of the week is bullshit. It's just not productive at all and you can't do real work for that long. Then there is that whole working out and studying thing.

If you aren't full of shit on everything you said, I would LOVE to hear your life story.
>>
>>16547682
Using "am yet" would be grammatically equivalent to saying "I am yet to go on holiday" which makes you sound stupid. It's a matter of sounding fluent in the English language or sounding foreign.

>What's a "supplier quality engineer"?
An engineer who assures the quality of the product that arrives from a supplier. It isn't that hard to understand. If a part continues to have installation problems/doesn't meet specs/fails before x amount of wear, it's an SQE's task to find out why.

> I am almost tempted to believe you because Musk keeps crying about how his rockets blow up because of shit suppliers.
SpaceX and Tesla are two different companies run in spectacularly different manners.

>If you aren't full of shit on everything you said, I would LOVE to hear your life story.
You would require a life story from everybody who claims to have worked harder than you? Sorry buddy, but in a competitive industry with incredibly high expectations, it isn't uncommon to work from 7 am to 7 pm. Especially when you're based in California and traffic doesn't make leaving at 5 or 6pm markedly more efficient.

Also, for what it's worth, the programmers at Tesla often got the short end of the stick. About 3 years ago there was an e-mail that was explicit in the fact that they weren't expected to take time off for Christmas until they fixed the firmware such that cars weren't bricking in people's garages. Needless to say, the problem was fixed before the 25th.
>>
>>16547713

>Using "am yet" would be grammatically equivalent to saying "I am yet to go on holiday" which makes you sound stupid. It's a matter of sounding fluent in the English language or sounding foreign.

>The string has yet to is 7 to 8 times more frequent than is yet to in both the Corpus of Contemporary American English and the British National Corpus. The preference is clear, but both are grammatical and there is no difference in meaning.

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/83430/he-has-yet-to-vs-he-is-yet-to

Gonna go with you nitpicking. (ib4 "going to).

>An engineer who assures the quality of the product that arrives from a supplier. It isn't that hard to understand. If a part continues to have installation problems/doesn't meet specs/fails before x amount of wear, it's an SQE's task to find out why.

No shit. Specifically, what did you do.

>SpaceX and Tesla are two different companies run in spectacularly different manners.

Vague.

>You would require a life story from everybody who claims to have worked harder than you? Sorry buddy, but in a competitive industry with incredibly high expectations, it isn't uncommon to work from 7 am to 7 pm.

Blah, blah, I am a CFA. Even entry level kids in IB at NYC don't work that much, though they all claim to.
>>
>>16547742

>in NYC

I know you are tempted.
>>
>>16547742
>Specifically, what did you do.
A few of the parts I were responsible for there the cycling glass, rear linkages, shock towers, side mirror glass, and TPS modules. I would decide if the problems we were experiencing were a product of poor installation (our fault), poor design (generally our fault), or poor production standards (the supplier's problem). I traveled between suppliers while spending a fair amount of time at the launch pad at the production plant.

>Vague.
Confirmed for a broken brain. Do you think a company that has to produce a single product over an extensive time frame is run similarly to a company that is producing more than 700 units a week?

>Blah, blah, I am a CFA
Oh, so you're just upset that what engineer drop outs do isn't as time consuming and difficult as what engineers do. Don't take your bitterness out on me, I'm sure your path will be just as lucrative. Even if less satisfying.
>>
P.S. - purely to satisfy my own curiosity on whether or not you are full of shit: What type of TPS (operational principle) was used and why? Where was it located? Why? How is this different from typical IC engine TPS positioning?
>>
>>16547810
>How did you get this job after/while doing biomed?
I did a 6 month internship at SpaceX after applying for what seemed like relatively vague position. That was two years in to my undergraduate program which consists mostly of pre-req courses anyways. I also had my name on a published research paper just before I applied which I assume was the primary factor in my acceptance. Having friends in SpaceX HR (especially when some people are migrating between both SpaceX and Tesla) and a positive review from co-workers at a sister company made the transition to Tesla post-undergrad smooth.

>seeing as how Musk supposedly like to run stuff
The way Musk treats SpaceX and Tesla are fundamentally different. SpaceX is his child. Tesla is a side project. I had bi-weekly meetings with Elon (which, for the first year or so I'm confident he didn't even know my name) and it was fairly apparent that he took a more 'hands off' approach here. Not so hands off as Faraday Futures, where I will likely be working in the next two months, but comparatively hands off. I suppose the most transcendent distaste of his was building 'silos' between departments, but that doesn't have much relevance to this discussion.

>Switched two years into Mech E, because muh money. Doing programming now.
Okay.

>Or at least current age and parents' income when you were a senior in HS.
I'm currently 28 and my father brought in around 100k when I was a senior. He's a materials science engineer.

>>16547819
I'm guessing you're more interested in TPS as far as tire pressure systems go as opposed to the 'Toyota Production System' (although the irony is not lost on me, considering our factory was the old NUMI plant). I guess TPMS would be a more accurate acronym at this point then.
I'm, for whatever reason, still under NDA as far as that system goes (but not our linkages or even power train for that matter), but it was the same one used in Mercedes B class vehicles and most Lexus models. Cont.
>>
>>16547874
I.e, we used direct monitoring. Much to the chagrin of our maintenance techs sometimes, which was more a reflection of poor quality than implementation. They were located nearly adjacent to the stems as of a few years ago (when I stopped working there).

>Why?
Good question. I wasn't around for a lot of the 'why?' parts. I started working there around vin # 70. Why was the first handle produced designed by only mechanical engineers? The world may never know.

>How is this different from typical IC engine TPS positioning?
Another great question I'm not fully equipped to answer. I've never worked on an IC engine, save on engine rebuild when I was 15. Honestly, most of the people I worked with had never worked at a car company prior to Tesla. Re: being run as an electronics company, not an auto maker. I don't imagine there being a significant difference between direct measurement as opposed to indirect between the two platforms, for what that's worth.
>>
>>16547895
My initial reaction to why they would use direct would be that regenerative braking can causes fluctuations in wheel rotation that are much harder for an ITPMS to account for.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.