[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to be a better writer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: Netiquette02.png (59KB, 580x417px) Image search: [Google]
Netiquette02.png
59KB, 580x417px
I've really wanted to improve my writing and creative skills, but have no idea where to start. It's not because I want to BECOME a writer or join the industry; my skills are just very lackluster and I don't have the creativity to be able to write something interesting. I don't have any wit to speak of either, and that bugs me a lot. It's something I hope to remedy with some good writing skills. Where do I go to learn about the techniques that I should be aware of? Should I be reading more books?? On the topic of creativity, should I expose myself to a lot of different shit? Just go e-exploring for all kinds of things and find inspiration through that? What should I do??

Like, it took a good 20 minutes and frequent revisions to write the above paragraph and articulate myself properly, and even then it doesn't get my point across the way I thought it did. It's awful.

also pic possibly related
>>
Bump. I'm going to bed now, so I'll read any replies in 6 hours or so.
>>
1. Learn grammar.
2. Read a lot. (News, books) - Whatever
3. Analyze styles.
4. Write a lot while using perfect grammar.
>>
Let your thoughts and imagination run wild and write down the ideas, no matter how crazy or stupid they may seem.
When you feel lost, listen to some music, watch a movie or play a video game or something for some inspiration.
>>
Alright, I'm up.

>>16537721
>1. Learn grammar.
Do you know of a good place to learn this from? I'd google it but instinct tells me the results of such a vague search would be filled with nothing but shit. Also, the "Analyze styles" bit interests me. Care to elaborate?

>>16537760
So, just write anything? I mean, I do that a lot (here) and it hasn't really benefited me over the years. Do you mean something more formal, like an actual story?
>>
>>16538701
> Care to elaborate?
Read "East, Shoots, and Leaves"

>just write anything
YES
>>
>>16538730
fuck
*Eats, Shoots & Leaves
>>
>>16538730
>>16538737
From what little I've seen about this book, I'm not too keen on reading it. Seems like it's just "boo hoo people are using txtspk and I don't like it" drawn out for a few hundred pages. I'm more interested in looking for a primer to get me up to speed with what is and isn't correct, as I already feel fairly comfortable with grammar overall, and have some grammar nazi tendencies as it is.
>>
>>16538799
You used two exclamation points in an OP about writing "well"

You are a TERRIBLE grammar Nazi
>>
File: zangiefpb0.jpg (63KB, 705x480px) Image search: [Google]
zangiefpb0.jpg
63KB, 705x480px
>>16538737
>Book on punctuation
>No Oxford comma
>>
>>16538808
You mean those double-question marks? I just put them there to exaggerate what I was saying, to convey PANIC.
>>
One last bump for the sake of it then I'll let this thread die.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.