[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people pursue their passions in terms of their jobs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

File: pursue your passion.jpg (58KB, 680x272px) Image search: [Google]
pursue your passion.jpg
58KB, 680x272px
Yeah, pursuing their passions is a good thing, but don't they realise that they are probably romanticising a job too much? A job is not meant to be fun and every job has its own terrible aspects.
Why would a Brit who got top grades in his finals pick Mathematics instead of Medicine? Isn't doing research more stressful than being a doctor? If you have nothing published, you will have no funding. Chances are such a person will struggle to find a full-time, tenured post as almost all unis are hiring a lot of adjunts. At least a doctor has a high income and career stability.
And then there are people who pursued Designing as well instead of Law. Designers have to deal with picky customers - it's not like their jobs are always fun and their income may be unstable depending on the number of clients.
And what about people who switch careers? Why switch from being an engineer to teaching? At least engineers do not have to deal with bratty, out-of-control kids who do not care about their homework. A teaching job is not necessarily better than an engineering job.
>>
Are you the same person who can't understand why people would want to travel?
>>
>>16536543
Yeah, all these people who pursue their passions in their jobs or give up theirs jobs to travel/backpack are irrational!
>>
>>16536549

What are you even talking about
>>
>>16536557
They are irrational because of the reasons I mentioned here >>16536539
>>
>>16536565

Explain to me why someone would not want a fun job? Or a job that has meaning to them and one that they truly care about?

Literally the only reason I haven't shot myself yet is because I still have a little hope I'll end up with a job I will enjoy
>>
>>16536574
There is a higher chance you'll end up with a useless degree doing an even more unfunny job and less rewarding than if you had a useful degree.

Welcome to life
>>
>>16536539
>a job is not meant to be fun

according to you.

everyone job as its own terrible aspects.
which is exactly why you should find one where the good outweighs the bad.
for emotional, physical and mental reasons that may affect your health and overall well-being.

it's easy to overlook the bad aspects of your job when you are doing what you love. because then those aspects wouldn't be that bad. or maybe they'd be the aspects that you love.
>>
>>16536574
>Explain to me why someone would not want a fun job?
Everyone wants a fun job, but fun jobs do not exist - simply because every job is stressful in its own way/has their own terrible aspects!
>>
>>16536582

>end up with a useless degree

Well I guess it's good I didn't go to college then right?
>>
>>16536589

That's true, but people can find enjoyment in their work. So why shouldn't people strive for a job they want?? I mean we spend majority of our lives working
>>
>>16536599
>people can find enjoyment in their work
So why not find enjoyment in a job which pays very well? Technically a smart high school kid in the UK can go straight for Medicine and learn to love doctoring instead of picking Physics, Music, English etc.
>>
>>16536619

Maybe he doesn't like medicine?
>>
>>16536640
Like you said, people can find enjoyment in their work though, so even if he doesn't like Medicine, he can force himself to like it.
>>
>>16536539
>Yeah, pursuing their passions is a good thing, but don't they realise that they are probably romanticising a job too much?
Unfortunately, they don't. In the rush to provide our children with lives of uninterrupted joy, we forgot to tell them what happens to people who follow their passions into the workplace. They don't know how their greatest models burned out, often quite quickly, but then found there was nothing else they could do. They died miserable, and often penniless.

It is important to enjoy what you do, but your job should NOT be your passion, if you can possibly avoid it. Keep the passion as a hobby. That way you can't fall into the trap of doing only one thing: each will recharge you for the other, and this is how one avoids burnout.
>>
>>16536689
>That way you can't fall into the trap of doing only one thing: each will recharge you for the other, and this is how one avoids burnout.
I'm OP and I don't agree with that. I agree a job can be separate from passion though.
>>
>>16536668

I meant find enjoyment in work they want to do.

If they don't care about medicine, then they shouldn't do it.

I'm really good with animals, but I don't want to work at the zoo.
>>
>>16536715
>find enjoyment in work they want to do
These people are just being picky. One can change his mindset and become a doctor, accountant, actuary, etc. instead of being a musician or whatsoever.
>>
>>16536724
>instead of being a musician or whatsoever.

Do you not listen to music? If people did what you said. Then there would be no music.

Why don't you go become a garbage man? Why don't you go make a career at Burger King? They pay management pretty good.
>>
File: image.jpg (153KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
153KB, 640x1136px
so you're saying the only thing that should motivate you to get a job is money without even considering if it interests you or not? that's fucking sad

if you can find a job as your passion that pays enough for you to live comfortably (by your own standards) why not do it? if you're working as a major part of your life it seems silly to not do something you love. are you just mad that your interest has no well paying jobs or something? it makes no sense

I was lucky enough to get a job doing what I love early on so I've already started making a career for myself. I'd rather kill myself then go into a job mildlessly doing something I have zero interest in just to make more money to spend just a small part of my life doing what I actually want to, when I could already be paid to do that. that would be a horribly unsatisfying life

pic related of one of the doggos at my work
>>
>>16536736
>Do you not listen to music?
I do, but what are your chances of becoming a famous musician? 1% or even less?
>They pay management pretty good.
Wtf? The pay for these jobs is just a bit above minimum wage. It is hard to live comfortably with that.
>>
>>16536740

Any cats?
>>
>>16536740
Are you a vet?
>>
>>16536746
>1% or less

depends on who you know, how good you are, and how hard you work

>source: dating a touring musician
>>
>>16536754
Well...
http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2014/01/17/nbs/
>>
>>16536746

With YouTube anyone can make money from music. Look at Lindsey Stirling. She is just a normal girl who plays the violin. She made a few YouTube videos of her dancing around with it and now she's making $7 million a year and traveling the world.

A general manager at Burger King makes around $70,000/yr. a store owner of 1 single Burger King can easily pull in $150,000/yr +
>>
>>16536763
>general manager at Burger King makes around $70,000/yr
No they make $56000. Look here: http://www.careerbliss.com/burger-king/salaries/general-manager/
>>
>>16536539
You sound like one of those Japanese dudes that works themselves literally to death. Somebody here knows the word for that.

I used to be that way, then I woke up. I realized that money doesn't have any real value. We all die, we don't take it with us. The only thing we keep is our memories, and mine won't be of the inside of a cubicle.

In the words of a wise man, me: No one ever lays on their deathbed wishing they'd worked more and played less.
>>
File: image.jpg (55KB, 640x406px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55KB, 640x406px
>>16536750
I used to temporarily work in cattery, but in full time kennel staff now. pic of one of the prettiest cat I've ever seen while I was there

>>16536751
no, I wanted to be one until I started working with them at shelters and realized how distant the work they do is unless it's surgical. Studying to be a CVT (way more hands on) and possibly a degree in animal nutrition or behavior. I currently work at a shelter kennel. used to work at an emergency vet clinic and another shelter
>>
>>16536763
God, I want to sell my soul to social media so bad but i have no idea where to even begin.
>>
>>16536775

What's wrong with that? Go do that.
>>
>>16536785
How did you find this job? Sounds awesome
>>
>>16536756
doesn't change what I said. and that info isn't all that helpful since it's not split up by genre or anything else
>>
>>16536790
I'm pointing out that anon's statistics are wrong.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>16536785

Cute cat
>>
File: image.jpg (76KB, 640x649px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76KB, 640x649px
>>16536803
I started volunteering when I was just 14, in everything from kennel cleaning to dog walking to cattery companion to (when I was older) surgical suite assistance. they hired me the day I turned 18 and I worked kennel full time as staff. it's the best way to get a job at a shelter, I had close to 8k volunteer hours by the time I got hired. at one point I took a part time aide job at the emergency clinic we're partnered with, but it was never meant to be forever

for about 6 months I had to move down to southern California due to family related stuff. and that is one of the absolute worst places to work in animal welfare. I have nightmares about that place sometimes

but yeah, I'm back at my original job full time and I absolutely love it. got my eye on the new kennel manager position opening up soon

>>16536840
she is!

this is one eyed Wilkie. got brought in as a 3 month old stray kitten that needed his eye removed, luckily got adopted as soon as he recovered
>>
>>16536805
Pretty sure chances of you earning a lot of money is shit in a lot of genres
>>
Chemist here. My parents are doctors and I wanted to be one a big part of my life. Few years before college I realized I don't want to study medicine (I had top grades and everything). Studying a hardest thing you can study in my country for 6 years + 1 year internship + 3 year specialiazion isn't that fancy or attractive as everyone thinks. Plus I can't stand working with patients after listening to mom's stories about disgusting/entitled/non intelligent patients. No patience for that. Wanting to help people is a good reason to study medicine, wanting to earn money(your reason) is not. Anyway my parents almost threw me out of the house when I told them I want to be a chemist. Few years later, I have a stable and comfy job in a lab at 29. Doesn't pay as much as medicine, but I wouldn't give it up for anything. Hell, I even blew one chance to have a family because of it.
>>
>>16537452
>I have a stable and comfy job in a lab at 29
Isn't it hard to find a stable job in academia?
Chemistry is similar to Pharmacy. Why not pick Pharmacy?
>>
>>16537466
Because I'm from a shithole in Eastern Europe and I had a choice: pharmacy in my town or chemistry in the Netherlands. Now I work in Germany
>>
>>16537488
Your situation is different. You pursued an interest to leave your country. It's not that same as OP's suggested situations where all things are equal.
>>
>>16537500
/thread
>>
>>16536539
>A job is not meant to be fun

What shithole do you work in?
>>
>>16536539
>A job is not meant to be fun and every job has its own terrible aspects.

Yeah but doing something you're passionate about won't make it feel like work. Some parts may be "hard" but that doesn't necessarily mean bad, just challenging.
>>
My brother has been obsessed with the guitar since he was six. He is now a classical guitar music teacher. He loves his job and he is able to support himself and his son.

Do what makes you happy.
>>
>>16536539
If everyone followed your pragmatic/utilitarian outview on life, we would've never cultivated art or cience, not even the "engineering" and "pharmacy" degrees you mentioned.

Tchailovsky became a lawyer from family pressure, and fucking hated it, and went to become an amazing composer.
Einstein worked at a patent office, and decided to pursue his physucal intuiton and completely revolutionized the human conception of fundamentals like energy and mass. Without thousands like them, who went our of their material comfort to pursue their passion (emotional/intelectual/spiritual/etc)... could you imagine where we'd be?
Besides, who gives a shit if they weren't drowning in money/pussy/whatever social standard of "success"?

>They clearly didn't, so why should you?
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.