[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi I'm a college student in the US and have a part time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 20130926_205519.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20130926_205519.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Hi I'm a college student in the US and have a part time job. I will be graduating December 2016 upcoming year and getting married just after I graduate. My fiancee and I have this all planned out but she does not have a ring just yet. I have a part time minimum wage job and about 10k saved up when I graduate. No student loans or debt of any kind, mathematics major if it matters.

Is $1,500 - 2,000 a reasonable cost for me to buy an engagement ring?

I am NOT here to debate the merits of whether or not I should get married. There are more details and reasons why and that's for a different thread. I am not here to justify why I am getting married. I just want to know if that price is reasonable for a college student. Please don't laugh as I realize it's not much, but we both agree that almost all of our money could be better spent going towards securities, insurance, buying a house together, etc., but she says that having a ring before getting married, any ring with a diamond on it, would mean a lot to her before getting married so I want to give that to her. I think that at my price of $2000 I can get a small but ok ring, yes? Like maybe a nice ring but with a diamond at only .6-.65 carat, I don't know.
>>
Honest to god, I think that's too much. We had a complete shitshow of a thread a couple days ago when some guy's girlfriend demanded a $6,000 ring, and while a couple idiots were on her side, the general sentiment was that multi-thousand dollar rings are a scam perpetuated by the jewelry industry, and there's far better things you could spend that money on. And honestly, I concur, whether you spend it on something practical or something romantic (like a trip, or, you know, literally dozens of extra date nights and dinners out over the next few years.)

The truth is you can get an elegant and absolutely beautiful ring for a couple hundred dollars. Beyond that, it's money for money's sake; conspicuous consumption for people who equate possessions with love.

For what it's worth, after that thread, I poked my head into the next room and asked my fiancee, "how much would have been too much to spend on an engagement ring?" and she said "anything over a thousand dollars." And I wasn't a minimum-wage earning college kid when I proposed.
>>
As an aside: if you're marrying this girl, your lines of communication should be open enough for you to ask her openly, "Hey sweetie, I wanted to run this by you, I wasn't thinking of spending more than $1000 on an engagement ring. You're worth ten times that but to me it seems like there's so many other meaningful things we could do with that money" [LIST OFF SOME ROMANTIC SHIT HERE] "but if it's truly important to you that I get you a more expensive ring I want to hear it."

As another aside, I know a couple who said fuck it to the engagement ring, opted even to get a pair of stainless steel wedding rings, and they used that money to take a tour of Asia. They're some of the coolest people I know and they seem to value the stories from that trip a lot more than most women I know value their engagement rings.

Just food for thought, I'll shut up now.
>>
File: 1433905844634.jpg (31KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
1433905844634.jpg
31KB, 499x499px
>>16531898
>but we both agree that almost all of our money could be better spent going towards securities, insurance, buying a house together, etc.,
Good .here's a present for you.
>>
My husband got my ring for $600 and it is valued at $1200 (yay for half off!)
I love my nice elegant ring. It's simple and perfect. Don't stress. $1500 is way more than enough.
>>
>>16531918
I actually saw that thread.

I have older guys telling me how they spent like 20-25k on their rings, but they're about 35 and make a decent amount of money. Good to know though.

>>16531928
Haha our communication is good, I just didn't want to tell her the price of the ring because I want to surprise her a bit, but I see what you mean. Good to know though. Interestingly enough, we both already have handmade silver rings for each other for only like $100 and took a tour around Korea, Thailand, and Laos together, kind of like what you said.

I like the line you used there though, I'll try phrasing the question along those lines without giving too much away, just to get an estimate.

I just wanted to get a general opinion of whether my price range was laughable or appropriate for my situation. Good to know.
>>
>>16531988
Good to hear, thank you.

Other thing is her family (her mother and older brother) own a jewelry store so they know kind of a lot about rings.
I was thinking I should show them the ring and get their opinion on it but I don't want to be laughed at by them if I show up with a $2000 ring and they think I should have spent more on their daughter or something.
>>
>>16532011
I think the rule is what like 2 months of saving? 3 months?
I would expect my husband to pay atleast $2000 for my ring, but I also come from a rich family so I don't know if that's normal or not
>>
>>16532027
Right that's what I was thinking, like 2 months. Which should be more than $2000 if I weren't in this situation. I don't want her parents to think I'm poor. That's why I was a little conflicted. Still..I'm not sure. I think that's the best I can reasonably do without creating any financial problems for the two of us down the line.
>>
Femon here.
Its not the price but the effort if you just find some generic ring she will not like it as much. Buy a preowned ring or one from costco that is her style but also will age well. Rings from costco are a good price.
>>
>>16532125
Rings from Costco?

I'm not quite sure how she would know though? I intend to buy it and then give her a nice romantic engagement and everything. But I'll keep that in mind when looking for one with good value. The ones I see on Costco's website aren't quite the color or clarity I'm looking for but I'll keep it in mind when looking in person. This is for a few months, roughly 4 and a half, from now anyway.
>>
>>16532156
My boyfriend got mine from here it is where my mom got hers from too. They are really good for clarity plus the canadian dollar is poo at the moment.

https://charmdiamondcentres.com/
>>
fucking normis
>>
Yes, it's a reasonable amount of money. Just make sure you get the style right. Design is only loosely tied to price (namely in the size/quantity of rocks) but it's the biggest factor in her enjoyment of the ring.
>>
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1YMgHGBgOPR
>>
My fiance hasn't gotten me a ring and I don't care and don't really want one. If I do get one I don't want anything over 100 dollars worth. We're poor as shit and I'd much rather like us to be able to eat and pay rent. Love is what matters, and I love him so dearly.
>>
$2,000 is more than enough money given your circumstances. Honestly, I think you should be going for far less, but that's just my opinion.

Also, something to think about: consider clear corundum (commonly known as sapphire or ruby) instead of a diamond. It's generally much cheaper, looks the same if you get a brilliant cut, is almost as hard as a diamond (so it won't get scratched up from wearing), and doesn't cloud over time (unlike almost every other diamond look alike).

This way, you would be paying less for the rock and could find a more special looking ring. That way you'd be maximizing your money, at least in my opinion.

Diamonds are super overrated, IMO.
>>
>>16532027
>the rule is what like 2 months of saving? 3 months?
>expect my husband to pay atleast $2000 for my ring

literally kill yourself

As to OP: everthing above $100 is too much.
>>
>>16533588
/thread

if she EXPECTS you to pay X amount just get rid of her. If you want get some <$100 ring or so that looks nice.
>>
>>16531898
Why does she have to know how much you spend?

The jewelry industry, who are in the job of making you spend more than you want, recommend one month's salary for an engagement ring, so anything up to that is fine.

Here's how it's done. Decide on your budget. Go to a reputable jeweler and tell the clerk your budget and that you'll be back tomorrow with your gf. He'll prepare a selection of rings in your range, to show to her. She chooses the one she likes best, and then you and he step aside to pay for it. She gets what she likes, you stay within budget, and she never knows the price.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.