[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've traveled the world but I didn't find it to be

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: large_worldtraveler.png (203KB, 648x638px) Image search: [Google]
large_worldtraveler.png
203KB, 648x638px
I've traveled the world but I didn't find it to be the amazing, life-changing, eye opening experience that has pushed me to a higher state of being that everyone makes it out to be.
What did I do wrong?
>>
My theory is that you didn't drink enough, hang out with enough white people, have enough casual sex, take enough selfies in front of historic buildings, post about it enough on social media, or put up a gofundme for it.

Better luck next time, pleb
>>
>>16531298
you romanticized travelling the world too much, living in country B is not necessarily better than living in your own country (unless if you are from a developing country)
how did you travel the world? quit your job and backpack? work in farms around the world? taught english in other countries?
>>
>>16531323
I traveled for my job.
>>
>>16531333

Well there's yer problem - you didn't do it on mommy and daddy's money as a way to take a break from skipping college classes.
>>
>>16531333
What is your job?
If you were sent to another country by your company, chances are you are some manager and I guess your job will be stressful.
Life in another country is also pretty much the same in your own country. A lot of expats here just hang out among themselves. They speak the same language, are generally well-off so they are from a similar socio-economical background, struggle to learn the local language, etc. Not that different from how immigrants don't really mingle with locals in western countries, eh?
>>
>>16531333

If you're just going from office a to office b, of course it's not going to be anything that valuable. There's no time to immerse yourself in local culture, makes friends with people of totally different mindsets, that kind of thing.

You're doing it wrong.
>>
>>16531350
>You're doing it wrong.
Oh. I'm in my mid-30's now. Is there any point to trying again the right way?
>>
>>16531350
>no time to immerse yourself in local culture
Immersing yourself into the local culture is easier said than done. Look at how Arab and Asian immigrants are so cliquey in the west.
It is the same with expats here in Hong Kong. They live in large houses in suburban districts, over 95% don't speak the local language, don't have a clue as to what's going on in the local pop industry, and they hang out in expat bars/districts/clubs with other expats.
These expats tend to be very well-off (maybe OP is one too?) and I guess it is normal for the upper-class to be isolated from the middle-class/rest of the community in all countries. Their spending habits and lifestyles are different.
>>
>>16531357
No. I was just a staff auditor that had to travel a lot. Always stayed in nice hotels. Stayed in the countries over the weekends. I'd wander around, but never had the mind blowing adventures of getting drunk and banging foreign chicks which seems to bring enlightenment to others.
>>
>>16531355
>I'm age X should I just give up?
Yes
>>
>>16531376
Okay.
>>
>>16531374
Well you're just staying in these countries temporarily. It's different from staying in a country for a year or longer. Your job is pretty similar to just travelling in a vacation, nothing special. This is why you don't think of your travelling experiences as special because they're not.
Even expats here do not live a "special" life because of what I've said here >>16531357
They are only "special" as they are very well-off and obviously wealthy people are the minority in every country on earth.
>>16531355
>Is there any point to trying again the right way?
We don't know what is the "right way" for you. Give up your job and work in some farms under the WWOOF program? Give up your job and travel through Europe? Teach English in some developing country? Just travel during your holidays?
You can experience another culture without travelling btw. I love learning foreign languages.
>>
File: snk gif.gif (106KB, 500x364px) Image search: [Google]
snk gif.gif
106KB, 500x364px
>>16531374
To elaborate on that, you're in another country because of your job. You're meant to work, not travel, visit museums, go site-seeing, and party everyday.
I recommend travelling during your holidays. I love travelling to the European countryside and they were "amazing, life-changing, eye opening experiences" to me.
>>
>>16531298
Congratulations! You've realized that everywhere you go is mostly the same. The people vary some but that's about it. All these chucklefucks telling you that traveling is some life changing experience are full of shit.
>>
>>16531504
>You've realized that everywhere you go is mostly the same
In some sense, yes. The difference between rural England and Singapore or Ethiopia and Germany should be huge though.
As person who lives in a big city, I am drawn to the countryside but I get the idea that I will get sick of living in rural areas if I do really have the opportunity to do that. The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.
>>
File: 1447744882898.jpg (44KB, 403x663px) Image search: [Google]
1447744882898.jpg
44KB, 403x663px
>Always stayed in nice hotels.

Lemme guess, you didn't bang local women, didn't take public transportation, and didn't explore at random either.
>>
>>16531524
What's wrong with staying in nice hotels? It's better than living in some hostel sharing it in a bunch of strangers.
>>
Because it is not. They say it is amazing, life-changing because they cannot disgrace themselves by saying that they have just spent a portion of their normie life on a shitty experience. Sky is blue everywhere. The sea is always salty. Food, salty, sweet, sour, spicy, all the same.
>>
>>16531526
The point of travel is to meet random people, and learn about the places you go. You aren't going to learn anything about the world if you try and insulate yourself with a little slice of home (a nice hotel) everywhere you go
>>
Did you actually get involved in the culture and realized how to socialize according to the local customs or did you stay somewhere that was comfy like back home and waited for people to understand how you are used to socializing and accommodating to you? Like did you buy what they were buying for the reason they were buying it the way they were buying or did you pick the groceries that you also have back home? Did you try to cook like they do? Did you fuck their women and paid attention to see how they're used to fucking? Did you live in the same house with people from that place and see how they act, if they steal, if they flush, if they shower, shit like that? If you didn't well that's what you did wrong, you went to a foreign place but didn't learn to make it at least a little bit non-foreign not by changing it to you but by you changing to it.
>>
>>16531556
Living in a hostel is so unsafe though
>>
>>16531614
They're really not.
>>
Nothing. People overhype shit like this despite never having done it themselves.

In truth, what you walked away with was experience and some passing familiarity. That's actually the valuable bit. You set a goal out of personal drive and you accomplished it. Well done, good adulting.
>>
>>16531614
>2015
>still shying away from real life experiences
oh anon never change
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.