[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need advice on how to quit my job. I don't want to burn

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

I need advice on how to quit my job. I don't want to burn bridges.

I notified by supervisors and HR that I got a new job, and my new employer wanted me to start 12 days after I gave notice. I wanted to give standard 2 weeks (14 days) notice but asked if I could leave in 12 days. It's been a full week since I notified them and I haven't gotten any response whatsoever. I work from home so I can't just walk over and talk to them.

Should I assume they need more time to replace me and work a whole extra week, or should I just leave on the date I originally wanted to?
>>
>>16525697
did you cc your boss? you should have emailed your direct supervisor first. if you have not, do it now.

you're not gonna burn bridges unless they really suck, people get new jobs and it's expected. good luck and congrats!
>>
I work in HR

The whole 2 week concepts is absolutely retarded. It takes much, much longer to hire someone.

You first need to create/update Job Description and create the essential qualifications, create the test, create the interview questions (at least a week)

Then we we need to advertise said position (at least a week)

Then we need to do initial screening (1-2 days depending on the job and the number of applicants)

Then we need to schedule interviews/testing (if it has a test plus an interview we are looking at least 2 weeks just to conduct the testing and interviews we also need to to give the applicants at least a few days to respond.) This is also dependent on the availability of testing rooms as well as the hiring managers available time.

In the background we are also rejigging the salary, security clearance if required and re adjusting the language requirements if required.

This is on top of all of the other shit we have to do in a day to day basis.

HR is probably saying "ah fuck" 2 days won't make a difference in the grand scheme. In a perfect world you would give at least 1 month or two months, but we also realize it isn't a reality.

Just don't fuck over your team mates or supervisors. Do your bit on team projects and leave bullshit data entry and menial tasks to other people. .
>>
Just came ITT to say I ordered two books from this guy and can't wait to get on it.
>>
>>16525719
I emailed everyone first thing, my supervisor, department head, HR. Anyone I could think of that I felt should know. Only HR and my supervisor have responded, both saying they need to talk to department head. He has been silent so nobody has told me shit yet.
>>
>>16525725
I understand your pain, and I hate to be crass about it but it's not really my problem. I was ready to give a full 2 working week's notice, starting the week after I actually told them I'm quitting. My problem is nobody has responded at all yet, so I'm tempted to just go ahead and leave after 12 days like I originally asked for. I feel it's their fault for not doing their job and letting me know if they need me to stay or not. I doubt anyone has even started looking for someone new, even then I don't think it should be a huge issue as there's one other guy in my area, and others in different areas, who can pick up the slack until they can fill my role. Not trying to fuck anyone over I just expected some kind of response, I've never quit from a company like this before. Thanks for your input though.
>>
>>16525749
Why would you waste your department heads time? You don't report to him
>>
>>16525725
What the fuck kind of company do you work for?
>>
Just to clarify I wouldn't care so much if my new employer wasn't waiting to find out when my first day can be. I told him I was still waiting to hear back but I'm tempted to just go ahead and leave and just say I assumed it was okay since they didn't tell me they needed more time. Everyone at the place I'm quitting is pretty casual about everything so in general it's impossible to get a quick answer on anything.
>>
>>16525763
Well it's a small department of about a dozen people, and I did until they created a manager for me a couple months ago. My manager has never managed before and still feels she has to report to him but doesn't seem to understand how badly I need to know this information when my future employer is waiting to hear back.
>>
>>16525762
>I understand your pain, and I hate to be crass about it but it's not really my problem. I was ready to give a full 2 working week's notice, starting the week after I actually told them I'm quitting. My problem is nobody has responded at all yet, so I'm tempted to just go ahead and leave after 12 days like I originally asked for. I feel it's their fault for not doing their job and letting me know if they need me to stay or not. I doubt anyone has even started looking for someone new, even then I don't think it should be a huge issue as there's one other guy in my area, and others in different areas, who can pick up the slack until they can fill my role. Not trying to fuck anyone over I just expected some kind of response, I've never quit from a company like this before. Thanks for your input though.

Oh I agree, it definitely isn't your problem. Everyone knows that people won't stay in company x forever and there is always a healthy turnover. Where I work we don't really talk to employees until the last week that they are they. I.E Employee X quits in 2 weeks, the after a week we will contact employee X regarding the returning of certain items I.E ID, laptop, and anything else that was given to the employee. Pay has been CC'ed so your pay will cease to come in after the fact.

We can't force you to stay, but I'm telling you 2 days isn't going to make or break anything. The real issue is that you need to finish anything critical or something that you had a major role in. I'd wait a few more days and if not followup.

LIke i said earlier we have other shit to do, we have it flagged in our calendar that you are leaving in a week. It doesn't really matter to us that you are leaving.
>>
>>16525782

If you want an immediate answer pick up the phone.
>>
>>16525792
I'm still not sure what to do, my future employer needs to know if my first day will be this coming Monday or the one after that by today.

There's nothing critical about me being there, if I wait a few more days then I'll pretty much have to stay an additional week because it will be too late to let my boss know I can start Monday, like he originally asked and I wanted. What do you think I should do? Make the executive decision to just leave? I hope it wouldn't totally ruin their reference for me, I've worked here almost 2 years and been great the whole time. I just want to leave asap because I dislike everyone there lol.
>>
>>16525804
The only person who can give me an answer has been unreachable by phone. He literally won't talk to me.
>>
let my future* boss know that is.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.