[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be dating this guy for a few months, and we really like each

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: oh.jpg (106KB, 470x368px) Image search: [Google]
oh.jpg
106KB, 470x368px
>be dating this guy for a few months, and we really like each other
>get pic related from him today
>mfw i don't know much about music asides from liking a few songs to my tastes

he talks like this every now and then when it comes to movies, books, and now music. i'm socially awkward and inexperienced when it comes to socializing; do people really talk like this when it comes to media? or is he just trying to appeal to me or something?

he knows i'm an artist (i paint, design, animate, storyboard, etc.) and if it helps any, he studied psychology and likes reading/writing.
>>
>>16523303
you sound boring tb,h
>>
Yeah he's trying to impress you, but what's wrong with that? My friends and I talk like that about music and art too.
>>
It sounds like he's a little too proud of his interests, but no one is perfect. My advice is to try sampling the things he mentions and see how it goes. I'd advise against getting into differences of opinion with him, though. He might be the sort who is a bit arrogantly assured of his good taste. If you don't like the stuff he mentions then a better tack might be to call it "cool" and quickly change topics.
>>
>>16523304
explain?

>>16523306
nothing's wrong with that, i just feel a little intimidated by my lack of knowledge and vocabulary if he was serious.
>>
>>16523310

you never open a fuckin book in your life?
>>
This reminds me of American Psycho desu
>>
>>16523308
yeah, i don't bother arguing with stuff like that with anyone lol. i'll probably tell him i liked it and thank him.

he's never really pushy about his interests, it just pops up every now and then. i guess it's just the way he talks. he just seems so smart and all i really know what to do is paint and draw.
>>
>>16523315
well i have, but his choice of words just seems too "eloquent" for casual texting? i just end up feeling a little awkward.

>>16523321
lmao in what way?
>>
I can't believe you use that font
>>
>>16523310
Well he's clearly passionate about music, then. Explore that with him. He seems interesting.

If you want knowledge on the subject, give him some of your music, and see what he says about it. You'll know what your music sounds like, and he'll put it into "big words" for you.
>>
>>16523334
He is speaking with passion, and with an extra artistry to give power and more emotion to the statement. it's much more in depth then "hey, I like this band". This sort of speaking really conveys the depth of his appreciation.
>>
>>16523353
This.

If I say "I like The Doors" then you aren't getting shit out of me other than my opinion on that band.

If I say "I've been listening to The Doors since I was a kid. There's something about the way Jim Morrison's poetry just fits right into the band's energy that has always really hit me." That tells you I'm passionate about this subject, I'm well spoken, detailed, and it gives you a sliver of my history.

He's trying to be interesting for you. I do the same thing. He likes you.
>>
>>16523351
>>16523353
>>16523374
thanks guys, i guess that makes sense. my next question is, how should i respond to that? should i try to talk in that same level of passion or interest or what? sorry, i feel a little dumb about this.
>>
>>16523379
You can continue the conversation about the same band, asking for more details.

You can ask about any other things or bands that he is enthusiastic about.

You can offer up something that you feel strongly about, or music that affects you in a similar way.

Any of these will work.
>>
File: Finnsmile.png (122KB, 461x514px) Image search: [Google]
Finnsmile.png
122KB, 461x514px
>>16523379
Try, sparingly. Don't go overboard because then it might just look like you're trying too hard, even though he might think that's cute.
Honestly just hop on a thesaurus website and just look for slightly better ways to say things. Use your own judgement as to if it's actually something a real human would say in conversation.
Maybe point out that you notice/appreciate his passion, he'll like that.
>>
>>16523401
A thesaurus is great if you're looking for a specific word you can't remember, but be wary of using it to "spice up" your language. Even synonyms have different meanings and implications (e.g. laughed vs giggled vs guffawed) , and it's usually obvious when someone shoehorns in a word to make the sentence sound more impressive. Thesaurus responsibly.
>>
>>16523303
lol
he doesnt really know anything technical about music. hes talking out of his ass in an attempt to improve your opinion of him
source: im a musician
>>
>>16523419
I think there was an episode of Friends where Joey used a thesaurus on every word of a paper he wrote or something and it came out intelligible. This is good advice.
>>
>>16523397
this sounds good. i'll try that.

>>16523401
>>16523419
yeah i don't plan to use words i'm not at least an acquaintance to in case i sound like a moron... i'll probably step up my usual vocab with him and take interest in what he says like you guys mentioned.

>>16523424
i kinda figured that too, but it's more in the way he speaks about it that gets me feeling like he knows a thing or two about the subject.

i don't want to be a snob to him or anything though. i just want to respond in a way that won't make me look like i'm dismissing him or end up looking like an idiot or something.
>>
>>16523303
These articles fuck me up knowing fake pieces of shit like you are around.
>>
Well as a musician and have many friends who are musicians, no. The only time we talk like that is if it's twords another musician. Anyone else we talk regularly, when he does that just smile and nod
>>
>>16523303
You should respond with ''ok :)'', because that text he sent you sounds bitterly cringy
>>
>>16523303
>and we really like each other

PROJECTING
>>
>>16523303
Maybe he justs like music, likes you, and wants to engage you on music? You fucking retard

You're one basic ass bitch
>>
>>16523303
People talk like that when there are passionate about something and can appreciate more dearly. I get that way about some stuff too. He just wants to share his passions with his woman, nothing to over think.
>>
File: why men leave.jpg (208KB, 923x633px) Image search: [Google]
why men leave.jpg
208KB, 923x633px
>>
>>16523303
He's just trying to impress you
>>16523424
This. He's blowing smoke.
Source: I'm also a musician
>>
He has shit taste.
>>
His taste suck. Also, he's trying too hard and his edginess is showing.
>>
>>16524855
god i would love to see the responses in that thread
>>
>>16525113
https://desustorage.org/r9k/thread/10044579/#10044619
>>
>>16525125
>https://desustorage.org/r9k/thread/10044579/#10044619
<3<3<3 ty so much anon hoped for something like that!
>>
Op, you autistic or retarded?
>>
>>16525110
This.

>"Waves" by Mr Probz
>Not "Wave" by Antonio Carlos Jobim

He's a fucking faggot with shit taste in music, it's like saying you like books just because you can describe how you feel when you read 50 Shades of Gray
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.