[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get over the embarrassment of realizing what a know-it-all

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1445815262923.jpg (35KB, 500x562px) Image search: [Google]
1445815262923.jpg
35KB, 500x562px
How do I get over the embarrassment of realizing what a know-it-all I used to be?

Some people pointed it out to me when I hadn't realized it before. Now I feel incredibly embarrassed.

I feel like nobody will ever let me live it down and just keep seeing me as this annoying know-it-all... What can I do to stop feeling this way?
>>
Don't take it SO hard, everyone's got their little flaws. Just be more aware of it in the future. Don't correct people in social settings. Really not a huge deal, though. Don't over-apologize or make a big deal out of it, just make more of an effort not to be that way.
>>
Dont be like it, people will se that youve changed and wont bring it up and itll just be you who cringes at night thinking of all the "know it all" stuff youve said while your friends dont care, trust me, ive been there
>>
>>16518221
In what way have you been a know-it-all?
>>
Anyone who insists on holding the past against you--especially if you were an adolescent or very young adult--is actually the one who should be embarrassed. It's like going to a high school reunion and treating everyone like they're the same person from decades earlier. Everyone changes. Everyone regrets or cringes over their past.

Your only decision has to be to not become one of those people. You'd only judge others on who they are today, right? Then judge yourself only by those same standards. Stay the fuck away from anyone who is lost in the past.
>>
>>16518243

Err... that's good advice for OP, because OP is dealing with a minor social foible that he/she wasn't even aware of, until someone brought it up.

But as a general piece of advice, no, you're dead wrong. You can, and should, judge people based on their past decisions and actions. I get sick of this "erase the past and JUST BE HAPPY" nonsense. That's not real life. I think people can control their actions, but they often can't change their nature, and they often repeat the same mistakes over and over again. It's naive to ignore someone's past and act like it doesn't say anything about the person they are today. Don't make assumptions, don't be needlessly unforgiving, but don't be naive either
>>
>>16518276
>You can, and should, judge people based on their past decisions and actions.
So you judge OP today on the basis of being young and stupid, and now having changed and feeling remorse?

I just got done calling people like you embarrassing and I'm so glad you stood up to give me an example.
>>
>>16518285

>that's good advice for OP, because OP is dealing with a minor social foible that he/she wasn't even aware of, until someone brought it up.

I guess I might not have phrased it right - you can and should judge people on the CHOICES they've made in the past. OP wasn't being a "know-it-all" for the sake of putting people down or being malicious, OP is just a kid who wasn't even aware of how his words/actions were being perceived.

I meant it more generally. I'm a big believer in the phrase "forgive, but don't forget." If someone truly changes their ways and resists temptation, then frankly I respect them even more than a person who never had any issues to deal with in the first place. Because I know how DIFFICULT it is to really break a habit or reliably resist an impulse. Too difficult for most people.

If you have a habit of just ignoring someone's past, taking them at their word without question, you're going to be blindsided by shit that everyone else saw coming a mile away. Again, be forgiving, but don't be naive.

But really, none of this applies to OP. OP didn't do anything all that bad, it wasn't a conscious choice, OP is going to be just fine. I'll shut up now
>>
Just ignore those feelings and live your life like you are right now.

People and friends you know who knew what you were like before will realise that you've changed and accept it.

If they don't and they keep bringing it up in negative ways, they aren't good friends and you should find other ones.

Everyone has flaws, and everyone else tries their best to accept those flaws and hope the person changes. (Or they just leave that person's life)

>>16518322
Not who you're replying to, but I completely agree with what you're saying. None of it applies to OP; still, I agree
>>
>>16518276
>OP is dealing with a minor social foible that he/she wasn't even aware of, until someone brought it up.

So you mean, someone shouldn't judge me for being a know-it-all, because it was a small mistake, as opposed to being violent, abusive or something similar?
>>
>>16518348

Right. At your very worst, you might've been mildly annoying. And you didn't even know you were doing it until one of your friends brought it up. You didn't hurt anyone, and you didn't even make a conscious decision to act like a know-it-all

If someone has a long history of criminal behavior, and they've been out of prison for a year, they're also going to tell you "I've changed, don't judge me based on my past." I'm not gonna harass or taunt that person for their history, but I'm not gonna let my guard down around them, either. If someone has a long history of cheating on their boyfriends/girlfriends, and they say "I've changed, I'll never do it again," I'm not gonna get up in their face screaming "WHORE," but I'm not gonna get into a relationship with them, either. See what I mean?

But again, this is a purely theoretical discussion that has nothing to do with your situation. You're fine. Everyone has little quirks like that. You don't have a chance to get better until someone brings it up. It's embarrassing when they do, but now that you know, you'll do better in the future
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.