[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, I'm transferring to a different university in January

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: espanol.png (6KB, 208x243px) Image search: [Google]
espanol.png
6KB, 208x243px
So, I'm transferring to a different university in January and they require three semesters of a foreign language. I've taken Elementary Spanish I at my current school, and I struggled HARD to pass that class, and that was with some help from the professor showing me mercy. I am really nervous about taking two to three more semesters of Spanish (or another language) at my new school.

So I have a few questions.

One, should I stick with Spanish, or is there an easier language to grasp for a monolingual English native-speaker?

Two, any tips on learning and retaining the language?

Three, what other languages do you speak? Just curious.
>>
File: 90373.gif (10KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
90373.gif
10KB, 225x225px
Naw man, I tried Japanese, German and finally Spanish. Spanish was the easiest by far. The spelling is predictable, the sounds are almost all the same--no weird inbetween vowels, and the word order is nearly all the same, except casa blanca vs. white house.

At least in the US, you can leave then TV on the Hispanic channel and learn by osmosis, you can find people speaking at and practice for free, it's all good.
>>
Well, I'd say Esperanto is easier, but most universities don't offer it as far as I know.
>>
>>16512293
BILLE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flpxujAPNYE
>>
>>16512293
You have to literally study a language every day for a few years to be proficient at it in writing, reading and talking.

If you just want to pass the class, Spanish of course.
>>
>>16512397
I have to say, that's not my experience with Esperanto. I learned it much faster than that. But then, it's easier than most languages.
>>
>>16512293
Go to Spain for a year. It will do wonders for your Spanish.
>>
>>16512293 I think german is probably the best for a monolingual english speaker, but if you live in the U.S. you should have plenty of opportunity for immersion. Start listening to the music, watch shows, read what you can. It works for every language also youtube what you want to learn to say. I'm hispanic so I know english at native fluency and spanish at almost native fluency. I dabble in many languages but the one I know best is japanese it really depends but sometimes it's 25% others it's 75% I need to learn more kanji though the kana is easy.
>>
>>16512423
Well, English and German are pretty closely related, so all other things being equal it should be easiest, but as you point out all other things are not equal.
>>
Spanish is far and wide the easiest foreign language for a native english speaker besides Norwegian or Swedish, both of which are useless.

To learn a foreign language you need to read a lot. This is a part of the process that most people neglect and so they end up never really learning the language beyond a 'casual conversation' level. Once you've built up an ample vocabulary, start reading kids books and work your way up, as in start with books intended for 1st graders, then move on to books intended for 5th graders, 7th, young adult, and so on. Another good strategy is to read these books on a tablet so that you can instantly translate words you don't know. Lots of people like flashcards, but I've personally never got much out of it; but then again, you have to experiment to see what works for you. My second tip to you is begin with a course called Assimil and work through it the entire way several times.

I'm a native english speaker, fluent in German, and highly functional in French.
>>
Oh a couple more things: don't even think about buying Rosetta Stone, and make sure you study for at least 20 minutes everyday.
>>
>>16512511
Why, what's wrong with Rosetta Stone?
>>
>>16512543
not that anon but it's over priced and there is better free stuff if you google or youtube it.
>>
>>16512505
>fluent in German
what do you mean by this?
>>
>>16512293
>One, should I stick with Spanish, or is there an easier language to grasp for a monolingual English native-speaker?
Esperanto?Your uni may not offer it though
>Two, any tips on learning and retaining the language?
Practise and studying. Geez, I am studying elementary Spanish and it's easy as fuck compared to all my other courses. They only teach you basic stuff. Almost all the students at my uni can pass an elementary Spanish course.
>Three, what other languages do you speak? Just curious.
Cantonese, English, Mandarin, and very little Spanish I guess.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.