[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any hope that the job market will be better by the time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: job market.jpg (15KB, 420x279px) Image search: [Google]
job market.jpg
15KB, 420x279px
When I applied for the course - there were shortages and a lot of students were headhunted. Now I am a freshman. Suddenly, the job market became super saturated and many people cannot find a job. Our professors invited special guests (eg. people who work in senior positions in the government and recent graduates) to tell us how job hunting will be very competitive for us and how we should consider jobs not directly related to our degrees.
Is there any hope that the job market will improve by the time I graduate?
>>
>>16511457
bump
>>
>>16511457
bump again
>>
>>16511457
bump
>>
>>16511457

1. What are you majoring in.
2. If you didn't graduate in 2008-9, you don't know what a bad job market is.
3. No, it won't get better, it's as decent as it gets atm.
>>
>>16511457
job market is probably not getting better anytime soon.
>make sure you know your shit inside and out when you graduate
>consider grad school
>bail on your major and switch to something that is in demand
>>
>>16511732
>1. What are you majoring in.
I am a Pharmacy major in Hong Kong
>2. If you didn't graduate in 2008-9, you don't know what a bad job market is.
Well my coty is different
>3. No, it won't get better, it's as decent as it gets atm.
That is what most people say.
>>
>>16511738
>consider grad school
A recent graduate was invited to tell us to consider research/grad school.
>bail on your major and switch to something that is in demand
The "safest" majors are Nursing and Medicine and I can't do both.
>>
The job market is never going to get any better.
The only cure is either Universal Basic Income or a massive population crash.

So either get started on engineering a Z Virus or expect to have shitty jobs forever.
>>
>>16511752

Yea it is. I don't know shit about the situation in Hong Kong right now. I do know it's even more competitive than here and that your stockmarket just crashed, so maybe it WILL get better for you.

It's hard to say. Pharm is a good major though.
>>
>>16511761
>do know it's even more competitive than here
How? At least I've never heard of university students working in coffee shops here.
>>
>>16511775

You do realize that "University students" doesn't mean anything in the US anymore, right? Have the majors are a complete joke.

Anyway, a friend of mine is in Shanghai, he has a BS in Comp Sci, he works as a translator.
>>
>>16511756
so don't do both? most medfags do one or the other
>>
>>16511784
You said it is more competitive in the states though.
>>
>>16511815
>I do know it's even more competitive than here

There is my quote, which you clearly misread.
>>
>>16511752
Depends on what you mean by pharmacy. Are you doing the Pre-Pharm -> Pharmacy Doctor route or are you going research? If you're getting into retail/hospital pharmacy then you're a little screw with competition so make as many connections as you can. I can't really give you any other advice, because all my pharmacy experience/knowledge is in the USA.
>>
>>16511821
And your point is things are more competitive in HK than America? Sorry my English is bad.
>>16511827
Here you must study Pharmacy as an undergraduate (similar to the UK?). No one wants to do research as that is tough.
>>
>>16511876
Well pharmacy is super competitive in the USA right now. Getting into pharmacy school is easy, but getting a job afterwards is tough. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that isn't already close to completing their program. Thanks to pharmacy retail and schools creating as many pharmacists as possible, no one really knows how the job market is going to be in a few years, but it doesn't look good.
>>
>>16511935
>Well pharmacy is super competitive in the USA right now.
Same here in Hong Kong right now. I've heard is 40 people competing for one job.
>Getting into pharmacy school is easy, but getting a job afterwards is tough.
Not here. Getting into the Pharmacy program is almost as tough as Medicine here (another program you must do as an undergraduate)
>no one really knows how the job market is going to be in a few years, but it doesn't look good
Same here. That is what the professors and the guest speakers said
>>
>>16512032
All you can really do is make connections with people. Do as much pharmacy internships/jobs as you can. Build that resume and get professionals in the field that can vouch for your work. Good luck.
>>
>do STEM they said
>jobs will practically fall into your lap, they said
>you'll be set for life, they said
This is why you don't do a course for the wrong reasons
>>
>>16511732
Seriously, fucking this. I graduated college in spring 2009, talk about a shit show. Had I known the economy was going to crash, I never would have wasted my time going to college, and I would have went straight into trade school.

Only gets worse from here, m80
>>
>>16512137

This is pretty much the default advice.

Years of education progressing towards kids being taught to pass tests produced a bunch of useless workers with degrees. Employers expect new grads to have been working through college, either interning or an actual static position.

It is not that bad over here in California. Most kids are still lazy faggots who ignore all the advice to work hard and sit around playing video games all summer and winter, so if you just secure an internship every intersession you're pretty much set.
>>
>>16512137
That is what our professors said
>>16512146
Yup, basically what happened to Pharmacy students here
>>16512221
Everyone here in Hong Kong does internships. If you don't, you are just asking for underemployment.
I know recent graduates who graduated with honours, did internships yet still cannot find a job.
>>
bump
In Hong Kong, the market for pharmacists is pretty much stagnant at the moment. The government just hired a lot of pharmacists a few years ago and there are still unemployed pharmacists. Is there any hope that it will become less stagnant (eg. new hospitals)?
>>
>>16512170
>Economy crash

You still have an economic crash in the us?
It was like, 8 years ago..
>>
>>16513295
Technically the recession ended in the US, but things really haven't improved much. Wages are stagnant and unemployment percentages are misleading. Most of the new jobs that were created are low paying service jobs. Shit still sucks for a lot of college grads...
>>
>>16511457
It is a pretty good universal rule of thumb, not limited to any time, place or field, that what everyone tells you is the best field to go into when you're in high school will be oversaturated when you graduate college, because everyone else your age will have been told the same thing.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.