[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /adv/ im in a rough spot in life right now and i have to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: image.gif (445KB, 500x278px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
445KB, 500x278px
hey /adv/

im in a rough spot in life right now and i have to go to uni

basically, i have to choose a major, either something along the lines of Psychology, Business, Commerce, Management..

the problem is, i dont know what to choose, im not good at anything..

are psychology degrees useless? i was kinda interested in that. i honestly dont know what to do and my life will probably go to shit if i dont go to uni

uni experiences and unifags welcome
>>
I won't say which you should choose because honestly you should go for what you're passionate and or inclined to learning about.

BUT, I will say you should be prepared for a bunch of unsuccessful people blindly telling you to major in STEM because "hurdur muh employment rate".

You will not become a doctor simply because you pick science as your major and shoot for medical school. Someone who is mediocre at science or whatever will most likely remain that way or have a much more difficult time trying. Be wise.
>>
>>16491302
the problem is, im having a hard time finding what im really passionate about. im reading about all of them but none of them makes me go "wow". its just "this is pretty interesting."

im really afraid of my passion dying out too if i do get that spark for taking a major
>>
>Psychology is a choice
>>
>>16491385
is it really that horrible? could you elaborate? genuinely curious
>>
>>16491378
Why are you even going to college?
>>
>>16491385
its good enough for Peter Venkman
>>
>>16491402
because i can get more job prospects and get a better life hopefully

also cause i dont have anything else to do in life
>>
>>16491391
The demand isn't very high and the make matters worse its one of the easier degrees to obtain saturating the job field.
>>
>>16491286
>>16491378
I mean you should have an idea by now? What do you like to do? Did you have a favorite subject in school? What do you like? If you do something you like, chances are you'll be good at it but that's not enough. You need to be able to learn to apply your knowledge and passion for said subject. I have friends who graduated with Biology, Psychology, and Biochemistry, yet none of them really know how to be useful or put their skills to use. I work for a small company doing delivery work and warehouse stuff while I'm college. Some of the applicants we have for clerical and graphic design positions have bachelor's in psychology, health science and English yet they settle for this unrelated job position because they need employment. Needless to say their degree means little to my boss, aside from proving that said applicant is not a complete waste of time and a total idiot.

I personally love what I'm studying, and i do research with a professor and I'm constantly reading up on the subject and will apply to grad school soon. I know what I want to study, and I have ideas on how to tackle certain industry related problems with what I'm studying. My professors say that's the key. You need know how to apply what you have learned. It is not enough to just blindly sign up for classes and follow a curriculum. Needless to say motivation is key, but of course, you need identify something you want to do first. You gotta have an idea, think deep anon. Don't read generic job descriptions, it is often not like that
>>
>>16491411

do yourself a favor and get into a trade instead.

"you need a degree to get a job" is a fucking relic of a bit of information that the older generation should have stopped selling to us in the early 2000s. The cost of education is not worth the payoff and the job market is so highly oversaturated that even comp sci and engineering majors are struggling.

Save up some money, get into a trade and go from there.
>>
>>16491391
Hey there, Psych (read: pseudoscience) major here.

If you don't have a relatively fleshed-out gameplan, Psych is a god-awful major. With a 4-year B.S. Psych you're gonna be looking at lower pay and lower chance of getting any sort of job. There isn't much of a shot "in the field" unless you'd like to be a mental health technician. Which is, by the way, a fancy term for a crazy-wrangler. Would not recommend.

I'm turning 24 quite soon, and I'll be in graduate school until at least 26-27 if I don't fuck up.

Sound fun? I don't reckon you're looking for 7-8 years of school before obtaining the necessary qualifications to DO anything, are you?

I'm very passionate about the field, and my natural eptitudes are favorable towards it. But I see plenty of other Psych majors that do it for horrific reasons, or no reason at all.
>>
>>16491378
if you don't know what you want to do and are afraid that picking a major is going to "kill your passion", just take a year and do your generals. you'll get a taste of a lot of the majors without a huge commitment. You don't have to declare a major right away when you apply/enroll, and picking a major blindly isn't in your interests.

>psych is useless?
not necessarily, but jobs are few & far and it is almost a requirement to do grad school if you want to stand out.
>>
>>16491437
Dude psych is trash, because most of the graduates are trash, and like the guy above said, they do it for almost no reason at all.
>>
>>16491444
Yeah, unfortunately this guy's mostly right.

The coursework is woefully easy in general. Many of my classmates are the stereotypical "i just...GET people, y'know :^)" clueless girls.

I'm hoping beyond hope that I'll have made sufficient connections and embellished myself properly to obtain some sort of decent HR job for a bit before/during grad school. I'm fucking tired of being broke, man.

It isn't really so much the fault of the coursework or nature of the major, imo. Never encountered any "your rights end where my feelings begin" types, and although I always call my major pseudoscience as a bit of a joke, there really has been precious little quack-science in the coursework.

But the sorts of folks that the major attracts makes it more unattractive for the few that are meant for this shit, damnit!

My idealistic end goal is to pioneer research/study the mental/psychological effects of long-term space travel and/or long-term human storage like cryogenics.

And the most concrete goal that 3/4 of my peers in the major have is "I just wanna....you know...help people, man..."

fuck sake
>>
>>16491467
>psych majors
ironically the only people i apply a blanket ban on going to with my problems
>>
>>16491467
this post confirms all of my previous impressions of psych majors lel. though you forgot the people who major in psych as a form of self-therapy (some of them are even explicit about this which boggles my mind)
>>
thanks for the replies

as one of the anons said, i dont have a fleshed out gameplan for psych so i might reconsider. I know i can delay choosing it but i feel like its inevitable that the time will come to choose.

what about business and management related degrees? anyone had experience?
>>
>>16491483
>in psych as a form of self-therapy

OH GOD

OH GOD NO

FUCK SAKE

That shit, man. The "I want to understand more about my depression and help those that also suffer from it" is...in some form commendable. But damn nigga, that shit's dumb as fuck.

What I do like to emphasize is the quality of the faculty and cirriculum; people often think that "social science" (fuck hearing that and "humanities" makes me sick) is obligatorily leftist in nature, and grounded far from science.

It is likely that living in Georgia helps this out..not so much agenda that I can see.

>>16491477
Don't fucking blame you, dog. I've got far less in common with the peers in my major than I expected on the onset of college. Everyone's so...goddamnit, they're so eager to possess or assign so many booty-chatter mental maladies, as though they were fucking gym badges in pokemon or purple hearts. Something to be PROUD of, for Christ's sake.

It makes me deeply worried.

Oh, and frustrated.
>>
>>16491496
well.. this post kinda described most of my motivations when i first wanted to take psych... i guess i really shouldnt then
>>
>>16491286
psychology degrees are not useless. They are actually very useful and can lead you to a lot of different paths. Even if you didn't want to work in psychology, a lot of employers, like marketing agencies or sales companies, like degrees in psychology because you can approach marketing/sales strategies with actual scientific reasoning. Its hard to explain.
>>
File: michaeljackson.jpg (11KB, 417x600px) Image search: [Google]
michaeljackson.jpg
11KB, 417x600px
>>16491467
>effects of long term space travel and cryogenics
>>
>>16491521
i know, i wanted to be a organizational psychologist or the kind which conducts experiments, not the more counsellor kind of psychologist
>>
>>16491521
Yes, these opportunities ARE available. They exist. It isn't as if you're absolutely shafted.

Sure, you can land jobs in HR, marketing, sales, etc.

But it'll be significantly harder than...you know, a degree in business or marketing. I would not at all call a 4-year degree (god forbid a B.A.) in Psych "very useful".

You're going to be at least moderately gimped in comparison to people with more suiting majors in fields such as marketing, with no upside unless you plan to go to graduate school. Or if finances aren't a concern. Doubt that's the case.

>>16491518
I don't mean to talk shit on you. But yeah, I would highly recommend against it.

You say you "aren't good at anything" which I find is usually an overly-simplistic and hyperbolic statement made out of emotion rather than reason.

Consider looking at CDL school for trucking. A far more lucrative return on investment than a Psych degree. Or any skilled labour education. If you've really no direction nor motivation and you're trying to improve your life, would you like to spend 4 years (during which you'll be quite poor, unless you somehow find a good job to work while in college at a good wage...eliminating the need for college entirely!) working for the mere OPPORTUNITY to get a better job? These guys have said it before in the thread, a 4-year degree or higher is in no way mandatory for financial/career success. Of course, the days of graduating highschool and supporting a family immediately are done. But trade school, man. You'll have a much higher return on investment and if you decide "wow I never thought this but my purpose in life is to do X unrelated thing for a living", you'll have wasted far fewer resources and time.

I think that "redpilled" Psych majors are certainly the most vitriolic towards their peers.
>>
>>16491286
>>16491378
>i have to go to uni
no you don't

>basically, i have to choose a major
no you don't

>also cause i dont have anything else to do in life
do you think a piece of paper and 40K in debt is going to change this?
>>
>>16491286

Maybe double major in Psychology and Management, then go work for a suitable Machiavellian F500 company as a ruthless middle-management feudal lord?
>>
>>16491539
it is a B.A. so ... well fuck. im really convinced to not take psych anymore and try to go for a Bcom or Bsc(for business) now instead

also trade school isnt something i really want to do. i wont say why but theres also reasons i cant go
>>
>>16491487
Kek the business people are in the same boat as the psych people. It is filled with trash people who just want to start their own business selling e-juice or want to make money in the stock market with penny stocks or some gay shit because they saw the wolf of wall street. Literally no one I have asked can concretely tell me WHAT they want to do with a business degree and 90% have little to no experience.

Look OP stop being a fucktard and listen to everyone here. If you don't like what you're doing and don't have a fleshed out plan for that career path - don't do it!

Simply asking 'Hey is this major cool?' Is not gonna get you anywhere. It takes a lot of work on your behalf to find out what you want to do. Although I'm some cases, like me, it just hits like a brick wall very early on. I guess I'm lucky in that regard
>>
>>16491572
>i wont say why but theres also reasons i cant go
4chan is anonymous

do you want advice or not?
>>
>>16491583
Hate it when we've got to guess at an OP's issues.

Hey, OP. I live in Bartow County, GA. I'm 24 years old. I go to Kennesaw State University.

Does that make you feel better? I'm making a tentative guess that you're being pressured or mandated by your parents to attend a 4-year school.

Like the man said, it's anonymous as all hell. The fuck could happen? If its embarrassing, ain't nobody gonna recognize you.
>>
File: 94927504615747558rTXXdigyc.jpg (164KB, 554x523px) Image search: [Google]
94927504615747558rTXXdigyc.jpg
164KB, 554x523px
Here's what you do OP. You don't go to school right now, don't use it to escape your problems - in fact it might only end up amplifying them.

Instead, you get a job and work in the mean time, and research the hell out of the main fields which have good prospects, and try to develop an interest in one. These fields would be:

Accounting/Finance | Health Care | Trades | Engineering

Then, once you've thought about this a million times over and done all the research and inquiry that you possibly can, THEN you take the appropriate route into one of these fields.

Done.
>>
>>16491590
well yeah basically what you said.it aint all bad though i just gotta finish it
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.