[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw History major Not sure what to do and I'm not sure

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: 4L_gPN9eD7d.jpg (52KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
4L_gPN9eD7d.jpg
52KB, 800x600px
>tfw History major
Not sure what to do and I'm not sure if employers care about minors
>>
>>16488043
Time to join the Army.
>>
>>16488061
What
>>
Land of the rising sun
>>
Nothing wrong with liberal arts. It's not the major that counts, but what you do with your degree. You're learning skills that can be useful in a variety of jobs. You might not end up with a history-related job, but finding A job won't (or at least shouldn't be) difficult
>>
>>16488043
Teach a class, write a theory or take up documentries or law.

Enjoy your future divorces!
>>
>>16488043
I am about to start my student teaching to become a high school history teacher. Why not get a teaching credential OP? The pay isn't nearly as bad as everyone thinks it is.
>>
File: what.jpg (16KB, 286x306px) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
16KB, 286x306px
>>16488131
>divorces
>>
File: 1429469520275.png (136KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1429469520275.png
136KB, 250x250px
>>16488122
Holy fucking shit
>delusional humanities/social sciences/liberal arts major detected

If that's the way you think about your degree you are literally better off dropping out now to get more work experience in something useful. You have your textbooks, you can always make this a hobby and get to work.
>>
>>16488122
Hahahaha, thats funny

switch now op or quit. Or use it to get into a better program like Law
>>
>>16488227
>>16488217
I'm not OP, I'm studying law. I'm not pulling what I said out of my ass, I know so many people who have take liberal arts degrees and have gone on to land great jobs, including ones with the government and with banks, with their degrees.
>>
>>16488217
>>16488227
He's not wrong. Delusional STEM memers who probably just started college and won't finish their STEM degree. If you have the drive you can be successful with any degree.
>>
>>16488232
>implying that is the majority or even a sizeable minority
Expecting yourself to end up like the rare success story instead of the common shit-out-of-luck grad is a dangerous gamble
>>
>>16488247
>I know so many people
>so many
Some of them are people who got pretty average grades too. Like I said, it's not the major that counts, but what you do with it.
>>
Delete this thread and don't listen to what anybody says, especially the STEM faggots. If you want to join the crowd of bearded, Ray-Bans bedecked yuppies that drive up rent and destroy the middle class, get into STEM.

Be a teacher if you want. If you do ANYTHING strictly for money, you are going to hate yourself. You have to do something because you love to do it. Find what you love and let it kill you.
>>
>>16488112
House of the rising sun you mean.
>>
>>16488238
This is true. I know a girl with a communications degree who got an awesome job after college and after 2 years she makes like 60k a year.

She was really dedicated, hard working, and had 2 internships.

If you can show companies you're dedicated, have decent people skills, and have some experience under your belt, I'm sure someone would hire you.
>>
>>16488373
Wow a female got a degree in talking and fucked her way to jobs

Big surprise there
>>
>>16488253

Math major because I like math. Stranger on the internet calls me a hipster.

Th...thanks
>>
>>16488380
>I'm going to be really upset and retarded for no reason
>>
>>16488043
I work in HR for a big corporation, so maybe what I say will carry some weight.

Except for purely technical fields, employers are less interested in WHAT you majored in than THAT you majored in Something - it shows that you can focus and carry through.

In my company, and toehrs I've spoken with, it is our policy to hire the person, not the transcript. We don't care if you know a lot about the Civil War or the derivation of pi. We want to know what you can do for US.

Do you have the skills to do the kind of work we want? I'm talking skills, not knowledge - we can teach you that. Depending on the job, can you work well on your own or in groups, can we count on you to see a job through to the end, or will you do only as much as we instruct and no more? If relevant, can you write well, speak well, research well, present yourself well to customers?

Some of these things are a function of your major, but indirectly. STEM students tend to be in large lecture classes, while humanities students have experience in discussion classes, for example, and these develop different skills. Chances are a history major has more experience researching, writing papers, and generally doing self-instigated projects than a math major.

A minor probably doesn't mean much unless it implies an extra skill (like, say, a foreign language, or computer mastery).

We'd rather hire a promising history (or English or philosophy) major and teach him our business than a deadhead business major.
>>
>>16488238

You can be just as successful without a degree as well (Going into a trade is actually a good idea these days, although it depends on where you're going). Too bad most people who major in liberal arts have a lesser chance of finding a high paying job. Thus, most go into shit-tier professions.
>>
>>16488252
The statistics are unfortunately more reliable than your personal experiences.
>>
>>16489559
Wrong
>>
>>16489546
How does it feel that STEM has become nothing more than a meme? It obviously has you anally devastated.
>>
Peter Venk
>>
KILL YOURSELF HUMANITIES MAJOR
>>
>>16490242
Agreeing with anon. If you are lazy you will not get a job. 70% of people now a days do not get a job related to what they went to college for in first three years. If you work hard and try things will happen.
>>
why do these degrees exist
im sorry op but id never get with a guy with that major
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.