[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /adv/, 19 year old college drop out here. Diagnosed Bipolar.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: The Pain.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
The Pain.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Hey /adv/, 19 year old college drop out here. Diagnosed Bipolar. No money, moving with a big family to a small apartment somewhere in NY soon. Not a good situation.

Painting keeps me sane. Makes me feel okay. Keeps me away from drugs. Lets me escape. Thing is I need a place to live, food on the table. Can't hold a job, psychiatrists haven't been working with insurance company and pharmacy to help me get medication. They've prescribed it, then dodge each other during the bureaucratic process. I should have gotten Latuda weeks ago.

Anyway, currently in Northern NJ, no idea what I can do to sell my work. Tried Patreon, people only seem to be interested in stylized cartoons and quick gimmicks. Tried a local art show (there was one and it rarely happens) but it wasn't an actual art show, ended up being a family event kind of thing with a tiny wall of "art", would have been lucky to sell for $20.

What do I even do? I don't want or need emotional support from family (they wouldn't give it, father doesn't believe in mental illness, mother pretends to believe in it but cares more about social status and what people say), no friends, its just me.

Pic related, piece I finished yesterday. Am I just destined for an eventual suicide?
>>
Try Etsy.

Show your work on Deviantart or any other art platform.
>>
>>16466198
Will do.

What can I do for in person stuff?
>>
>>16466220
Talk with local galleries about having a show. Price things beforehand and stick with your prices. If you don't want to sell your art for 20$ when you have it priced for 100$ DONT. Dont undervalue your work because you think it wont sell.

My city has a "first friday" where galleries are open later to showcase local artists, I think most major cities have these. Google it and search for places local to you, go ask the business owners in person if you can have a showing on the next available slot.
>>
>>16466240
Thanks anon. There is one local art gallery that shows promise. The rest are framing stores. First Friday isn't a thing apparently in Northern New Jersey, I'm trying to find more stuff but I can't. Might have to wait until I move to NY to see if there are local NY galleries. Wish I didn't have to but I don't have a choice, its that or be homeless.
>>
>>16466275
NY is one of the most important art capitals in the world. If you're thinking of going there to "see if there are any local galleries", I suggest you do some research, friend.

I'm an artist, and I can tell you, it's one of the most difficult vocations to succeed in. But it can be done.

To get some idea of the range of art shown in NY, check out James Kalm on youtube. He reviews shows, and is a painter himself.
>>
Also pick up this book. It's a good introduction for understanding the workings in the field.

http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Days-World-Sarah-Thornton/dp/039333712X
>>
Others already posted the advice I would have given you, so I just want to say this: I'm really glad to see that you've managed to find a healthy outlet. Don't give it up. I genuinely like that painting you posted.
>>
>>16466348
Thanks for the advice, Ill be sure to not get ahead of myself.

>>16466369
Also thank you.

>>16466382
...That means a lot to me anon. It really does. Of all the years I've spent shit posting there has been few good times, but this is one of them. Thank you.
>>
>>16466163
This only works in new York, anon. Northern NJ isn't going to appreciate art. Sorry about that.
>>
>>16466163
No advice, but really like your work.
Hope it goes well
>>
>>16466163
It looks like a mentally retarded chimpanzee drank a shitload of paint and simultaneously shit and puked up that abomination you call art.
>>
>>16466163

Hey OP. I've recently come under the revelation that I may be bipolar, or at least slightly bipolar.

I just want you to know that no matter what happens to either of us, on this day I understand and feel what your going through. :)
>>
File: image.jpg (102KB, 640x852px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102KB, 640x852px
>>16466163
Personally op I hate your art. But if Jackson pollock became rich and famous making the same shit, I suppose you'll be able at least make enough for rent and ramen noodles.

Honestly op you sound like a typical special snowflake. I don't know you personally so take this as it is. You should focus on getting over yourself, don't get hooked on drugs. I don't know much about anti psychotics but putting any drug in your body on a daily basis has consequences, and unless insurance covers all of it these drugs cost a shit ton long term.

What is your diagnosis anyways?
>>
>>16466957
He already said his diagnosis you fucktard, it's bipolar disorder.

OP, please don't listen to this guy. As someone who's gone through major depressive disorder and generalized anxiety disorder...just don't. He's...not smart. And I like your art. I stared at it for a while. But whether we like it or don't like it doesn't matter much anyway. Art is subjective. If you love to do it, that's fucking awesome!
>>
>>16466163
Look on the bright side op at least it's not schizophrenia.
>>
>>16466163
I quite like your art.
>>
>>16466957
Hah, well I at least laughed at your picture. Also, please read on. I am over myself. I wish I could just get a job and move on, but when you feel like the world is ending one second, and after a few weeks you feel like you could become president, it can be a bit challenging. I've gotten fired over this despite needing money or ending up homeless.

>>16466978
Thanks anon, so you know what its like. Wish you the best.

>>16467065
This is a good thing but I've gotten bad news at my last psychiatrist appointment. It seems that paranoid thoughts are starting to get worse, they're worried paranoid schizophrenia might be coming along from the Bipolar. Which can then turn into Multiple Personality Disorder, and I'm just quoting them, in all honesty I can identify what would be considered "paranoid thoughts" half the time and the other half I just believe its logical to think that way.

They might be over doing it, but anyway,
>>16467876
Thank you very much anon.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.